New Studio Rising...

• I've been wanting to create a dedicated studio in my home ever since I got the kemper and began recording. I was using a home office as a studio and was jammed in so I decided to make a move when we got new floors in the house since I had to pack up and move stuff out anyway. The last two months, I planned out the decor and layout for the new studio, and after an exhausting two weeks, I am finally able to sit and practice a little bit in it. I still have to order a tv stand and the acoustic treatment (red and black), then hook up my stereo rack, and then tackle the walk-in closet for an iso-booth (behind the camera), but at least I can see some of what I envisioned taking shape. I based the theme off my Killstrat and Head Studios in the UK.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• But why do you want or need a TV in the studio room?:/

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• That looks awesome :)

A quick note: in time you may find that a better listening position might be a bit further back from the wall, so I would suggest you keep the arrangement somewhat flexible.

Yes. I have monitor stands to get me that "5'x5'x5' -ish" triangle sweet spot. I just put those up there to get everything hooked up for now. I'll be adjusting monitor position when the acoustic panels are done.

• The floor plan is like pic except there is no door (just a walk-thru) to the bath area (there is a sink in there and then a door to a mini kitchen area and full bathroom). I plan to put 4 or 5 24 inch x 6 foot acoustic panels in front of the desk. Two sperate 12'' x 8 foot corner traps by the edge of the curtains, and then two separate 24 inch x 6 foot panels on left and right wall - similar to second pic. Then I'll decide on any treatment behind me. This is going to take a while. I don't expect to really finish until a couple more months. I'm just trying to get it somewhat workable before April. It's already a mass improvement on where I used to be.

• I can see you're not skimping on the thickness of the treatment, and I see you're aware of the tule of thumb regarding 38% (second pic) - awesome!

I would have the thicker treatment as corner traps if possible. And possibly - in any case - reduce the thickness of the acoustic treatment to the sides (first reflection points). But with all this - all rooms react differently, and you may find that what works for you is different than general theory would suggest. If possible, I'd suggest being flexible and experiment a bit on placement and thicknesses before you make any semi-permanent installations. And base your choices on measurements (could be some acoustic measurements software like Room EQ Wizard, but you can get a LONG way by just playing some slow sine sweeps over the monitors while sitting in the listening position. It's fairly easy to identify where there are large peaks and valleys. In my very limited experience, the listening position had WAY more effect than the acoustic treatment, but I also had much less of the latter.

All that aside, I think you're on the right track. I bet you've done a lot of research, and again - kudos for not underestimating the necessary thickness of the treatment :)

• How big is the ISO booth by the way? And what will you be using it for - recording or profiling real guitar amps?

The iso booth is 4' x 8'x 9' ceiling. I will use it for amps (profiling) and vocals. It has a 5' foot solid double door that I may swap out for glass doors. I will research that some more.

• BTW, when the studio is finished, I will have an open house party to celebrate and jam. I will supply alcohol and food. You bring guitar and party favors.