Question about Profiles in General

• When someone creates a profile of an amp and mic'd cab, is the profile broken down into two parts? amp portion and cabinet portion? Im not sure how else to word this. Hopefully it makes sense. Basically if I load some else's profile into my Kemper and then I deactivate the cabinet block, am I only getting the profiled amp at that point? so If I want to deactivate the cabinet output and run to a real cabinet or if I want to change to a different cabinet IR, am I still getting the original cabinet profile no matter what? will I be mixing my cabinet with an already profiled cabinet signal therefore essentially blending a cabinet with a cabinet?

• You can turn off the cab , in a studio profile, but it doesn’t separate completely. But I used it that way with a cab and power amp and it worked great

You can also get profiles of just an amp and that you can use with a cab and amp

• I think you have it right, conceptually.

You can profile a 2x12 combo, then swap out the Cab part for a 4 x 12 from a different profile.

If you want to use a speaker that colours the sound, like a guitar cab or the Kone (with imprint) then the Monitor Cab Off keeps the profiled speakers in the Main outputs, but removes it from the Monitor output.

• I answered a similar question recently, so like any good guitar lick, I'm reusing it in a different place:

One aspect that can be confusing is how the Profiler deals with cabinets. There are three fundamental types of Profiles:

- Studio: Amp and Cab Profiled together

- Direct: Amp Profiled without a cab

- Merged: Combines a Direct Profile with the cab from a Studio Profile (basically create a Direct and a Studio Profile of the same amp. Store the cab with the Direct profile to create what's called a Merged Profile. Now you have Studio and Merged versions.

Personally speaking - I completely ignore which is which. I'll mix and match amps and cabs with zero regard for whether the Profile is Studio, Direct or Merged. I'm going for a sound and don't much care how I get there.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Is there a way to tell if the profile is studio, direct or merged? Especially ones on rig exchange.

Some of the ones on rig exchange I notice won’t let me active the cab block. I have to load in a stock IR in order to get the cab block to activate. Is there a reason why this would be?

• Is there a way to tell if the profile is studio, direct or merged? Especially ones on rig exchange.

Some of the ones on rig exchange I notice won’t let me active the cab block. I have to load in a stock IR in order to get the cab block to activate. Is there a reason why this would be?

No. Only if they are tagged correctly :(

• Some of the ones on rig exchange I notice won’t let me active the cab block. I have to load in a stock IR in order to get the cab block to activate. Is there a reason why this would be?

They are Direct Profiles and have no cab information in them. You cannot activate what is not in there. Only as you say once you load a separat cab or IR.

See what Ruefus wrote up there...

One aspect that can be confusing is how the Profiler deals with cabinets. There are three fundamental types of Profiles:

- Merged: Combines a Direct Profile with the cab from a Studio Profile (basically create a Direct and a

This! :thumbup:8)

• One aspect that can be confusing is how the Profiler deals with cabinets. There are three fundamental types of Profiles:

- Merged: Combines a Direct Profile with the cab from a Studio Profile (basically create a Direct and a Studio Profile of the same amp. Store the cab with the Direct profile to create what's called a Merged Profile. Now you have Studio and Merged versions.

Just to add to Ruefus ' excellent explanation: when you turn off the cab part of a Studio profile (in order to use a physical cab or to use a different cab / IR), the Kemper can't exactly KNOW the "cab" part of the profile, as it would in a Merged profile. But it takes a pretty good guess at what the cab does to the sound and tries its best to remove that.

Usually pretty decent, and definitely will do in a pinch, but if you want to regularly use profiles with AND without cabs, it's definitely better to use Merged profiles