Neural Amp Modeler, a free amp profiler?!?

• So hey guys! Anybody heard of this vst calling itself Neural Amp Modeler.

Its description is...

Neural Amp Modeler is a freeware amp profiler developed by Steve Atkinson and has been making quite a splash. Users can profile their own amps, stomp boxes, and any other gear they might see fit. You can also download a plethora of these profiles and models for your own productions.

Is this even legal? Surely there is some kind of naughty going on here.

It has been doing the rounds on youtube So i thought i would let you guys have a look into its strange-ness.

I always thought profiling was a patented technology owned by kemper.

🤔🤔

• The only difference between that and a Profiler/Tonex/Quad Cortex/Headrush Prime and whatever else is:

1. It’s free

2. You supply the hardware

As for the patent…always more than one way to do things.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• From what I remember the guy is using AI technology to make the copy. I think he even posted the code for Python. I am guessing he was just someone who liked coding in AI neural net stuff and decided to make a guitar thing.

I am totally guessing it does not work like a Kemper or the new Headrush. Guessing they sweep frequencies and amplitudes to get curves of the response of the amplifier. Then make an IR to get a close proximity of the final output.

Maybe more like the ToneX which seems to also use an AI type of method. I dont know details. Seems worth a try for people wanting to mess around.

• Others have been profiling years now. What about meorr? Tone x now too. And i read kempers patent is over. What I do know is its wiping the floor with capturing a amp. Kemper needs to update the profiling process because its last on the list for many. I got neural an it sounds way more realistic. Dynamics are fantastic an its just more open. The software allows for looooong profiling. You even get a chart showing how close you got. Downside is its glitchy and finicky. Its developer mode stuff but guys are working on updated versions already

• Others have been profiling years now. What about meorr? Tone x now too. And i read kempers patent is over. What I do know is its wiping the floor with capturing a amp. Kemper needs to update the profiling process because its last on the list for many. I got neural an it sounds way more realistic. Dynamics are fantastic an its just more open. The software allows for looooong profiling. You even get a chart showing how close you got. Downside is its glitchy and finicky. Its developer mode stuff but guys are working on updated versions already

Theres certainly a buzz around it. im not totaly tech with how it works but i heard its an open source vst so i think that means anyone can go into it and update its code.

Scary how technology is evolving.

• How does this even work? Out of curiosity, I downloaded the program and all I get is a direct signal of my guitar.
    You can choose amp models, but there are none loaded? Care to give a guide how I can test a Marshall-style profile for example?

• How does this even work? Out of curiosity, I downloaded the program and all I get is a direct signal of my guitar.
    You can choose amp models, but there are none loaded? Care to give a guide how I can test a Marshall-style profile for example?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    check out Leons video he kinda digs into it :)

• Downloaded it, built it, and gave the app a try. I couldn't seem to overcome a latency issue. I retested my latency on the computer itself, and everything was at <5ms. So, it's probably the software causing the latency. Wanted to give it a full try, but not going through debugging the latency if it's just that app that has it.

• These are some amp models (rigs) with the *.nam filename. You need to click on the green Code button and then select to Download Zip.

https://github.com/pelennor2170/NAM_models

Here is link to NAM 0.7.0 version

https://github.com/sdatkinson/…AmpModelerPlugin/releases

NAM has a Facebook private group you can join. I assume they share models in there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5669559883092788

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Downloaded it, built it, and gave the app a try. I couldn't seem to overcome a latency issue. I retested my latency on the computer itself, and everything was at <5ms. So, it's probably the software causing the latency. Wanted to give it a full try, but not going through debugging the latency if it's just that app that has it.

Yeah i read a few comments with similer issues also apparantly it can get a bit glitchy. Maybe its still in its beta state or something and they are working on fixing it up.

To peeps out there who aint got the coin to drop on the more well known hardware and software this can be considered a god send with the price tag of FREE.

Cool times to be a musician.

• Ah got it, thanks! Giving it a try now...

• Yeah i read a few comments with similer issues also apparantly it can get a bit glitchy. Maybe its still in its beta state or something and they are working on fixing it up.

To peeps out there who aint got the coin to drop on the more well known hardware and software this can be considered a god send with the price tag of FREE.

Unfortunately, I disagree. The best time to be a musician was the 70s-80s.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• To peeps out there who aint got the coin to drop on the more well known hardware and software this can be considered a god send with the price tag of FREE.

I added chorus, envelope filter, reverb, delay, etc to my VST in less than a week. And I had never written any code like that in my life. The NAM could be full featured in no time at all. It already has Noise Gate, IRs, etc.

Delay is as simple as source code can get. Reverb is just a bunch of delays. Chorus is just a delay that you constantly change the delay time. Envelope filter is just changing a filter based on how loud someone plays.

It is a very scary time to be Kemper Line 6, Fractal. Young kids can get a cheap laptop and play out where ever. And the kids these days hack so much they can probably do it on a phone. $79 Android phone that sounds almost as good as a Helix? Sounds like a good deal to me.

• I added chorus, envelope filter, reverb, delay, etc to my VST in less than a week. And I had never written any code like that in my life. The NAM could be full featured in no time at all. It already has Noise Gate, IRs, etc.

Delay is as simple as source code can get. Reverb is just a bunch of delays. Chorus is just a delay that you constantly change the delay time. Envelope filter is just changing a filter based on how loud someone plays.

It is a very scary time to be Kemper Line 6, Fractal. Young kids can get a cheap laptop and play out where ever. And the kids these days hack so much they can probably do it on a phone. $79 Android phone that sounds almost as good as a Helix? Sounds like a good deal to me.

If delay, reverb and mod are so simple....how come so many companies suck at it?

I hear what you are saying but totally disagree. That doesn't mean I am right or you are wrong but merely highlights how personal sound is.

I took the 14 day trial of Nueral's VST and tested several of the suites. I didn't like any of them. They were all too hifi, in your face and unnatural to me. Like they were more amp than the real amp. CGI special effects for guitar players.

I totally understand why lots of metal players love them but they just didn't sound or feel right for my style and taste.

Fortunately, all the major players in the market just now are producing fantastic products with their own unique abilities. Tone honest if someone can't get a sound out of any of them that they are happy with,the problem probably isn't the gear.

• If delay, reverb and mod are so simple....how come so many companies suck at it?

I agree 100%. This is the thing that will decide who lives or dies in the near future.

As amp capturing tech starts to flood "FREE" VSTs. Your pedal sims/models/creations will be the only thing separating you from the FREE stuff.

This assumes the AI tech is computationally expensive and will not work well with time based effects. So running multiple instances for amps, effects, etc will be hard to do.

My point was not that you would get Kemper level verbs for free. That will probably not happen. But who knows, it could. Kemper needs to innovate. Which is the thing they are best at. And since we have not seen a Kemper 2, we can assume they are working on something else anyway.

Most young people love to hack. And they will not care that the verb is not amazing because it is free. Only us old timers will care that a UniVibe pedal does not sound like a cheap copy coded by someone for free.

Digital guitar effects companies right now:

• Glad I am not the only one! I even got their Soldano pack to play with and hated the sound I was getting. It all sounded really harsh...

But, to each his own.

• Kemper needs to innovate. Which is the thing they are best at. And since we have not seen a Kemper 2, we can assume they are working on something else anyway.

Agreed. But - you can also say that Kemper already innovated back in 2011. They invented the entire concept of Profiling out of thin air.

I would love to seen something "new" from Kemper. Pedal Profiling capable of being placed in a chain. But...that's not so much innovation as it is an additional feature. Given that the Quad Cortex and Headrush Prime both offer it - it becomes 'me too'.

Now....if CK can figure out how to do it without the huge CPU/latency hit.....sign me up.

In 1997, CK's other well-known innovation, Access Virus synths, basically invented the ability to use digital tech to simulate analog synth sounds.

Unless they can re-set the bar, push the envelope....do something totally new, I don't think Kemper is all that interested. They're favorite thing to do seems to be inventing new stuff.