Monitor recommendations for DAW

• I've had a pair of Event ASP6s as my main daily use monitors for the past ---uhhhh-- maybe 25 years. They still sound good, and of course I'm quite used to how they react. They've been repaired multiple times but in the past few years they are really beginning to show their age.

I know that the best thing to do is just go somewhere and sit and listen to several different pairs and see what sounds best. Thomann isnt far, so eventually I'll have to do that in order to make a final decision.

Genelec stuff has always sounded great to me, I'm thinking that the 8320APM might be a good fit. They are rather expensive. It only has a 4" woofer compared to the 6 that I'm used to. Size isnt everything, of course, but in some things it is.;) I know alot of people swear by HS7s... they are far less expensive than the Genelecs. How do they compete sound wise? I find it hard to imagine that they have the same type of pristine sound as the Genelecs.

They would be used about 50/50 for music listening and music production.

Has anyone else had the ASP6s? What did you move to?

Thanks!

• I replaced my trusty old Yamaha HS-80's with a pair of Adam T5V's last year.

This was a very wise decision on my part.

My studio has some slight inaccuracies that I compensate for with a software.

With the Adam's the correction I need to do is minimal (which means they’re more flat than the Yamaha's).

They are musical and powerful.

Flat but not boring flat.

Great to work with as monitors, and also for listening to music.

https://www.thomann.de/de/adam_t5v.htm

• Thanks for the recommendation. Did you choose the T5Vs based on price? They are unbelievably inexpensive.

I hope my next pair of monitors last another 20 years and I dont mind spending a bit more to get something I can live with long term.

I'm curious what problems you have in the your studio and what you did software-wise to fix them.

• Thanks for the recommendation. Did you choose the T5Vs based on price? They are unbelievably inexpensive.

I hope my next pair of monitors last another 20 years and I dont mind spending a bit more to get something I can live with long term.

I'm curious what problems you have in the your studio and what you did software-wise to fix them.

No, I chose based on research/recommendations, not primarily on price.

Of course monitors are a very personal thing.

I was fully prepared to send them back if I didn't like them, and otherwise I'd have invested in a pair of Neumann KH 120 A's.

But from the moment I played the first piece of music through them I fell in love with.

• I bought these and they’re excellent. Also my recommendation

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• I ordered a pair of Genelec 8320A's early last year and they are SMALL, shockingly so lol. They sounded unbelievable for their size though. I ultimately decided they were better if I was having to relocate them to work from anywhere, which I do not do.

I ended up sending them back and getting 8330A's with the 7350A sub. Beyond happy with them! Not inexpensive, and it really hurt at the time, but I do not regret it. Best sound I have ever had in my studio. The GLM room analysis/correction is excellent too.

Live From… Peace Frog’s Den features South Texas songwriters and musicians performing live original music from Peace Frog's Den's studio in San Antonio, Texas. All styles of music are welcome. Would love for you to check us out at https://bit.ly/livefrompfd.

• It truly is killer! I've had so many ultimately disappointing monitors over the decades, and spent more than that probably buying/selling different ones. I bought the Genelec's after I had a project that I lost days to mix translation issues, beyond frustrating for everyone involved, embarresed and finally had enough, and put them on my credit card (which I never do). The sub I got a few months later, which in my case I wouldn't consider totally necessary but I am glad to have it. My non-musician friends love to come over just to listen to music through them.

I've had the Genelec's over a year now, and I just don't spend ANY time with mix translation concerns anymore. I just mix, listen, adjust and I can trust what I'm doing, and mostly importantly I stay creative. These speakers are just invisible now.

If I had spent this kind of money on proper monitors 30 years ago, I tell folks I would have had an entirely different career. Truly "penny wise, and pound foolish" in my case :P Ah such is life haha

All that said these 8330a's are their ENTRY level speakers ($950 each).

I can only freaking imagine what the 8331's (next step up modestly called "The Ones") sound like ($2445 EACH!!!) 8| One day I hope to hear those.

Anyway my apologies for the ramble. As you can tell, I'm quite the fan of these!

Live From… Peace Frog’s Den features South Texas songwriters and musicians performing live original music from Peace Frog's Den's studio in San Antonio, Texas. All styles of music are welcome. Would love for you to check us out at https://bit.ly/livefrompfd.