Profiling Questions

• I ordered an SM57 to use for profiling. I attempted to profile my Mark IV using the DI method from the effects send. It turned out OK but adding the cab after the fact seems to have a different
    effects on the end result.

Is there anything else I need to get a great profile other than the mic? Is a mic preamp a requirement?

The setup I want to profile is my Mark IV through a 1x12 Thiele bottom loaded with an EVM12L.

Any tips on mic placement, refining etc.. to achieve the best results?

• Best thing you can do is set your amp up as if you were recording. - ultimately thats what you want to get out of it, = so go right ahead, record to your DAW a few riffs, see how it sounds. - move the mic around until you are happy. this is a must if you never done mic placement before, in fact I do this test now.. with every amp I profile. the real art is knowing when to stop moving the mic around!. but that will come with experience.

Record on 10 differ tracks, and mark with a pin on the speaker mesh where you placed the mic.

The once you have chosen the best approach for your taste. profile it that way, try and keep all levels natural going into the KPA, then refine it after and apply the after effects to your liking. job done!. - then move onto the next snapshot, different settings etc, but always look our for clipping. as thats bad!

Yes better equipment, more mics, will make a difference, but with that said.. - sometimes better equipment can also make things worse!.(trust me, I got better results once out of a £5 argos mic than I did with 10k worth of mics) lolz! - there is no right or wrong, just if you like the sound then great!

Oh and good luck!

• Thanks for the advise. I get the Mic tomorrow and will give it a go. I can't believe I don't have an SM57 laying around, just some cheap Audio Technica VM605 which apparently doesn't work anymore. ;(

I didn't see many Mk IV profiles so If I can get some good ones I will post them.,

• Well the KPA can be very forgiving. - but mic placement is the one thing that really defines the sound from the KPA.. however its not all lost. - you can use Tills cabs to replace the one you did if you cant get a good sound. (his cabs are great for that sort of amps)

Have fun, and dont be afraid to experiment.