NAMM News - Is there anything new from our friends at Kemper?

• Man, Cliff Chase is an angry little man..

It would be very interesting to hear exactly what he thinks is infringing.

Sounds like he is trying to get some exposure by making a stink about nothing. Whenever a famous person announces something, all of the bottom feeders will start talking about it knowing there will be a lot of eyes on the original announcement.

On the surface, Kemper adding some EQ options is not ground breaking patent stuff. It is basic circuit analysis that every 2nd year engineering student has to do. But I do not have the update yet, so I can't really speculate what he is upset about.

• He even mentioned a patent on his own in the Video. Which he wouldn‘t have gotten granted, if there was any infringement of another patent

While this is likely to be true, it is not always the case. Patents are overturned quite frequently and are not always bullet proof. Sometimes the threat of a law suit which can come with large legal fees along many other related expenses, subpeona of documentation, proof of prior art, threats of triple damges, etc... can influence the outcome. It is not always what you might think and not always fair.

• Still baffled no change in the profiling process. i would love to have a 10 minute profiling option that was more accurate. Maybe it proves a kemper 2 an they saving it for that big day

Christoph has said (more than once) that they've taken the process as far as it will go.

Given that the Kemper's process uses a totally different technology than Tonex/Quad Cortex (that being AI or machine learning....whatever), there's no way to tell if a longer profile time would actually be helpful.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• While this is likely to be true, it is not always the case. Patents are overturned quite frequently and are not always bullet proof. Sometimes the threat of a law suit which can come with large legal fees along many other related expenses, subpeona of documentation, proof of prior art, threats of triple damges, etc... can influence the outcome. It is not always what you might think and not always fair.

yes, my statement was a bit theoretical. Of course this can still go to court and lead to some kind of negation. Also depends on which court/Country 🤷…

• It would be very interesting to hear exactly what he thinks is infringing.

Sounds like he is trying to get some exposure by making a stink about nothing. Whenever a famous person announces something, all of the bottom feeders will start talking about it knowing there will be a lot of eyes on the original announcement.

On the surface, Kemper adding some EQ options is not ground breaking patent stuff. It is basic circuit analysis that every 2nd year engineering student has to do. But I do not have the update yet, so I can't really speculate what he is upset about.

I think Cliff's statement is a bit weird but I would hardly call Fractal "bottom feeders". The Axe FX is an awesome piece of kit. The Kemper workflow and ability to profile your own existing amps suits my needs better but there is no denying that Fractal is quality gear too.

• I've never been compelled to check out his stuff. Just never interested me.

Then I went to the Fractal forums to see what that's like. Mention a competing product and you'll get some real hate. Rex Rox on the thread you posted in, for example. Small minded.

With this guy Cliff being their 'leader'.......it makes sense.

Edited once, last by Ruefus ().

• I know little about the man but it would seem that he is a little to fragile, after all he did design a fabulous piece of kit. I just prefer the KPA

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• I know little about the man but it would seem that he is a little to fragile, after all he did design a fabulous piece of kit. I just prefer the KPA

I know little of the legal world......but announcing yourself prior to filing (assuming he hasn’t )seems a bit misguided.

Edited once, last by Ruefus ().

• Quote: "A premium product designed for working professionals at the top of their game, the most versatile device on the market. One that has proven itself and its worth, like all the greatest amplifiers over an extended period of time.”

Quote: “Honestly, this is ridiculous.”

Thank you for thoughts.

So, let’s examine them, and see if your courageously novel notions, hold up to proper scrutiny?

With respect, you appear to be arguing that the Kemper Profiling Amplifier is not a premium product designed for working professionals at the top of their game.

However the premium price of the Kemper and the fact that a great many top professionals utilise the product, more than adequately entirely testify to the complete opposite and actively militate against such a view.

Would we do better to believe the first-hand testimony of top musicians whose scintillating level of talent, most can only aspire to, in their wildest dreams?

Or you?

People hereabouts will decide for themselves!

Quote: “it’s not the most versatile device and doesn’t come close to being the most versatile device either.

It depends on what you mean by “versatile”.

Politicians could be considered to be outstandingly “versatile”, but their adaptability might not be considered by many to be an asset.

Today for example, there exists a massive plethora of equipment on the market, heavily laden and feature rich with apparent “versatility”.

Yet more often than not, though they are sometimes rich with cosmetic aesthetics, and indeed are capable of performing singularly peculiar functions desired by few, if any at all if user requests are anything to go by.

Their “versatility” seemingly offered, simply fails to deliver.

Except in the manner of “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, our fine four fendered friend”.

You may recall the vehicle was not only a multiple Grand Prix winning racing car; but could also float on water, fly like an aeroplane and was capable of taking off vertically.

Whereas, most people want a good quality, thoroughly reliable, well performing vehicle, with good dynamic handling and safety features. Small on the outside, big on the inside with a cavernous boot. Low kerb weight, fast acceleration and good fuel economy.

The salient point being, “cosmetic features and seeming versatility” lose out to quality every time, for those who genuinely know what they want. Solid build quality shines through. Along with genuine economy in use with highly practical characteristics, that truly benefit the owner.

You see, its versatility with quality, that has a genuinely practical use.

Another analogy.

Today the digital recording scene is strewn with devices offering every conceivable type of feature.

Yet all the greatest professional recording equipment lacks such apparent versatility. Accomplishing what they were designed for with magnificent verve and aplomb.

Musicians I worked with cut their teeth working with people like Joe Meek and George Martin. Folk who took the quality equipment that was available to them and tweaked it with ingenuity in a highly creative manner, to create entirely new sound effects.

In a world of endless VST effects, creative individuals of that era made far more practical use of the meagre quality equipment available at the time, utilising it in entirely new ways, with far greater effect than anyone appears capable of accomplishing today despite all their current advantages.

Quality with versatility.

The sheer depth of editing choices the Kemper amplifier afford the conscientious player, is quite mind blowing.

The features they offer are genuinely desirable, widely wanted, useful and practical to working professionals on the move.

Some equipment manufacturers promise much, but fail to deliver where it counts. To be fair I suppose that is a kind of “versatility”. But not one I would wish for.

Whilst Kemper promise little, but over deliver precisely where it counts. What’s more, there is a continual overwhelming stream of upgrades and make overs that they deliver completely to users for free.

What do players most want, the pretty screens and the ability to perform functions they have little interest in, that you appear to commend?

Or genuine quality, practical usefulness and ongoing innovative additives that increase functionality, gifted entirely for free to owners in thanks for their brand loyalty?

Quote: “neither is it at the top of the tree and they’re not in a class of their own, either.”

Following the recent disclosure of the incoming upgrades, which appear to continue to keep Kemper right at the pinnacle it has occupied for so long. With respect, that would appear to be a laughably moot opinion, few hereabout would agree with.

What other manufacturer has given so many upgrades, completely freely to its customers?

Clearly in this respect, as well as so many others Kemper is in a class of its own.

One might disagree.

But people hereabouts will decide for themselves!

Quote: “That’s a hell of a long post to be spouting some fairly ignorant and narrow minded views.”

Not at all.

Its par for the course where I come from.

Anyone here will tell you its completely normal for me to present a comprehensively well-argued case.

My old friend Michael Gerzon, now sadly no longer with us, has been known to have phone calls that lasted a full seven hours.

I suspect you would have expressed a similar view regarding many of Michael’s opinions at the time he expounded them, but you would have similarly been proven wrong.

Someone once said: " what Michael has done is what the world will want in thirty year’s time." For sure that proved to be true, but few could understand what he was doing and so to my mind at least, it is such people themselves that are fairly ignorant and narrow minded in their views, if anyone is.

But people hereabouts will decide for themselves!

'Into The Soundfield' - Michael Gerzon & Ambisonics at Oxford (Official Documentary 2018) - YouTube

Just so you know, Michael Gerzon who in his short life published 121 white papers on audio engineering, won the Audio Engineering Societies Gold Award, and who Ray Dolby looked to for advice and to consult, is widely seen as the natural successor to Alan Blumlien.

Alan Blumlein - Wikipedia

Quote: “I love Kemper, their ethos and the way they look after the staff and fiercely protect their products and keep them running far beyond other products end of life”

With respect, the statement reads like you actually believe Kemper is in a class all of its own. Which is precisely the simple point I have been making all along.

So, I will respectfully ask you what my friend George Massenburg once asked a fellow who similarly appeared to be arguing with us, two entirely opposing viewpoints, simultaneously.

Are you a Contrarian?

Quote: “but they and the product are not the all shining, all dancing example you’re painting out, either.”

I am absolutely convinced that the overwhelming majority of Kemper users, who have spent their hard-earned money consider their carefully considered purchases a genuinely sound investment and money well spent.

Most especially following the recent announcement of a complete handful of highly desirable upgrades, quite revolutionary make overs soon to be available as a heartfelt complimentary gift to their ever admiring, loyal customers.

With all due respect, I believe it to be entirely ill advised to imply condemnation of their personal judgement and mental capabilities by insisting the commonly held awe in which they view their purchase, is completely misplaced in that manner.

For people hereabouts will decide for themselves!

Thanks for Playing! 😊

• I’m not arguing with this and with due respect given, life is too short to read through all that, so I haven’t. In answer to one of things I feel you haven’t got a clue about, regarding “What other manufacturer has given so many upgrades, completely freely to its customers?”, Fractal. Regular updates for its products (for free) and way more regularly than Kemper does.

Keep on typing in the free world!

• I've never been compelled to check out his stuff. Just never interested me.

Then I went to the Fractal forums to see what that's like. Mention a competing product and you'll get some real hate. Rex Rox on the thread you posted in, for example. Small minded.

With this guy Cliff being their 'leader'.......it makes sense.

I’m not after a fight here, but let us not pretend that this forum is any different. There seems to be individuals on this very forum who, too, are quite delusional and confrontational with their passion for the Kemper.

It’s quite off putting for people new to either device or forum and it’s quite sad that we can’t just accept the pro’s and con’s of each unit.

• I’m not after a fight here, but let us not pretend that this forum is any different. There seems to be individuals on this very forum who, too, are quite delusional and confrontational with their passion for the Kemper.

It’s quite off putting for people new to either device or forum and it’s quite sad that we can’t just accept the pro’s and con’s of each unit.

There are zealots in both camps. Certainly.

But - I don’t recall anyone here talking sh!t about other products and belittling them as ‘inferior technologies’.

• There are zealots in both camps. Certainly.

But - I don’t recall anyone here talking sh!t about other products and belittling them as ‘inferior technologies’.

Not in those exact words, no, but in this very thread there have been other ways in which people have tried to fool themselves and others into thinking that the competition is inferior. Life is way too short to be defending one technology over another, it’s quite sad.

• More succinct posts are better suited to a forum like this. Can I ask why you format as you do? It is not any standard style that I am aware of. One or two spaces after a period is the norm to separate sentences.. Paragraphs are typically more than one sentence and separated with white space or begin with an indent. Almost 200 lines for a simple post?

• I think Cliff's statement is a bit weird but I would hardly call Fractal "bottom feeders".

I agree, that was not my intent. It was just an example of how social media is used by people to get eyes on themselves, products, etc. I was pointing out how lesser known individuals use more popular posts to get attention.

I have never tried a Fractal or even seriously looked at one. So I have no opinion about them. It looks really cool.

• More succinct posts are better suited to a forum like this.

It looks like it was written in a word processor then pasted in. And of course its the internet, so it is trash, and it was not interpreted well.

Anyone who has ever written code for the web understands what a complete failure the human race is. :S