Weak sound through PA mains

• Hi, I'm looking for help and couldn't find a thread related to my issue. In my band I am running through the PA, a new Yamaha TF5 board and into JBL powered speakers. My sound is incredibly weak and I an told constantly by the audience that they can't hear me. My signal to the board is good and I even took the -12db cut off which has me actually clipping the gain but the sound still sucks with the volume on my channels all the way up. I am running master stereo out via XLR to the board. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

• Try setting to Master Mono and run just mono to the board. (1) Eliminate any effects, and check your rig volume. (2) See if all volumes are locked.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• That TF5 is a relatively complex beast, so that's where I would start. Try using a guitar cable to the mixer instead of XLR to see if the mixer interprets that differently.

As above, also check that the volumes are not locked, so the Main output isn't affected by the master volume on the amp.

• The first thing to check is how much signal you have coming into the board. This should be easy to check by soloing the channel and checking the meter on the board. If it is low you need to increase the input gain at the board, not your Kemper. If the signal is strong there, your issue is the EQ of your sound. You are blending into the mix of the band. If that is the case try raising up your mid range and see if that helps. If it does you will need to spend some time setting it up to sound good in the mix.

Stick with the XLR connection. That is the best way to go.

• Did all of your mics sound ok at the gig? If they did It sounds like a thing with the signal path in the desk for your guitars. That sound also sometimes happens if there are phase problems with the speakers but if that was the case everything would sound weak.

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• No, all the mics sounded fine. It was just my guitar so it has to be in the channels for my inputs from the Kemper. Thanks

If the input gain to the board is strong as you mentioned earlier I would check that channels routing or try an open channel if there's one available. You could also plug into one of the channels you know is sending a good signal to foh temporarily and see if you are loud and clear, just change it from mic to line level first.

• As I thought about it, it could also be a stereo signal from the Kemper panned centrally on each track. Just a thought. How did the OP get on?

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10