Remote sharing network connection with other network-traffic

• As far as i understand the remote works similar to some other network connected devices- It is possible to use a network switch to have multiple remotes/KPAs working together. please step in and correct this statement if it is no so.

Therefore could they sit on a network with other devices, ie, if PC/Mac shared the same network perhaps controlling DMX over the network (ArtNet or sAcn)

I have not tried any of this and maybe some users have done so successfully or with issues.

Be please to hear from anyone with experience in this, whatever the result.

thanks

• Multiple Head, Rack units and Remotes can co-exist in the same network. For electrical power the Remote requires Power over Ethernet. Please refer to the Main Manual, which explains how to connect a Remote to a network via PoE injector (Power over Ethernet) or PoE hub. There are also graphics, that show that multiple Remote units can control the same PROFILER and stay in sync within a network.

If there are multiple groups of PROFILER and Remote within the same network, you need to enter the Remote menu (press Rig Button 1 plus TAP simultaneously), deselect Autoconnect, and select the serial number of the PROFILER you want to pair the Remote with. Otherwise the Remote searches and autoconnects to the first PROFILER it finds, which could be accidental.

• i was investigating the effects of introducing non-Kemper traffic to the same network, ie, a couple of PCs/Macs, etc

The network traffic issued by the Profiler/Remote is - compared to other network protocols - pretty low bandwidth. When connected, it is only a few kbytes per second (maybe 1 or 2) from the Profiler to Remote, from the Remote to the Profiler it is just a few bytes when buttons are pressed or pedals (connected to the Remote) are being moved.

A current home network can easily handle this.

• If there are multiple groups of PROFILER and Remote within the same network, you need to enter the Remote menu (press Rig Button 1 plus TAP simultaneously), deselect Autoconnect, and select the serial number of the PROFILER you want to pair the Remote with. Otherwise the Remote searches and autoconnects to the first PROFILER it finds, which could be accidental.

This very thing happened to me during a rehearsal yesterday. I didn't know what I had done but being seated, it's possible I hit the combination above inadvertently. The remote became unresponsive and I had to reboot the KPA (head) but the remote remained unresponsive and the attached exp pedal (vol) didn't control the now howling amp! At the break, I restored from a backup and reconnected the now missing FX buttons. All well and good!

So, 1) Watch where you put your feet! 2) Always carry a backup. 3) Zero your guitar vol before rebooting - just in case! 4) In a fast changing gig, keep your backups up to date (daily - if necessary)

... and breathe!

• I don't understand these conclusions!?

In case you accidentally hit both buttons simultaneously, it doesn't change any settings. It just opens the Remote menu.

Specific sequence of more presses of specific other buttons (Up/Down Buttons, TAP) would be required to edit any Remote setting.

I think, it was just required to leave that menu and by doing so return to normal Remote operation.

A message at the bottom indicates which buttons to use to move and leave the menu (TUNER and TAP). Afterwards the Remote restarts normally.

You could also disconnect and reconnect the Ethernet cable in order to restart the Remote.

A PROFILER backup is irrelevant in this case. The connect settings of the Remote are not included in any PROFILER backup. And had you really "forced" your Remote to pair with another PROFILER available in the same network by accidentally selecting its serial number instead of your PROFILER's serial in the menu, the Remote wouldn't notice restoring a backup at your PROFILER, since its paired with another.

Should this happen again, just press Rig Button 1 and TAP once again.