• OK, so this isn't a sexy subject, but one that I'm finding increasingly important, and also that I don't have much experience or knowledge about. After getting my backup KPA, connecting everything, then A/B-ing the two (both connected to a Mackie mixer, then to twin RCF ART310A's), I found that the new unit had much lower output levels. After checking every possible configuration value, and finding that they were identical, I swapped the output cables going to the Mackie. Voila, that was it. Huge difference. So now I'm looking at how many cables are involved in my setup, and wondering just what other impacts are being introduced? After a small amount of online research, I'm amazed at the price of "good" cables and wondering where the sweet spot is. What do you guys use for each of the connection points? For example:

Guitar into KPA
    KPA to mixer
    Mixer to RCF ART310A
    Mic to mixer

Same type cable for all of these, or are there subtle differences for best results? And how do you avoid spending a fortune? ?(

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• And how do you avoid spending a fortune? ?(

I went all the way from really chapos to soldering my own cables and so on and today I would be happy if I had got myself some decent cables for once in the first place. "Spending a fortune" means buying cheap cables! You will buy lots of cheap cables and you always will regret it sooner or later.

If you can't afford to buy good cables, then buy short cables! The longer the cable the more evident is the differences.

I really like the VOVOX SONORUS PROTECT for Guitar to Amp. They are really sturdy, clear and swift and not much high-end loss when I turn down the volume on the guitar.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• I take the expensive one for the first connection (guitar to amp). For all other connections (low impedance) I use up the old cheap cables that I still have. But for the high impedance connection, yes, it is worth every penny!

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• OK, so this isn't a sexy subject, but one that I'm finding increasingly important, and also that I don't have much experience or knowledge about. After getting my backup KPA, connecting everything, then A/B-ing the two (both connected to a Mackie mixer, then to twin RCF ART310A's), I found that the new unit had much lower output levels. After checking every possible configuration value, and finding that they were identical, I swapped the output cables going to the Mackie. Voila, that was it. Huge difference. So now I'm looking at how many cables are involved in my setup, and wondering just what other impacts are being introduced? After a small amount of online research, I'm amazed at the price of "good" cables and wondering where the sweet spot is. What do you guys use for each of the connection points? For example:

Guitar into KPA
    KPA to mixer
    Mixer to RCF ART310A
    Mic to mixer

Same type cable for all of these, or are there subtle differences for best results? And how do you avoid spending a fortune? ?(

Guitar into KPA- Good-high quality cable, suppleness is important, low resistance is really only critical over 15 feet. I like the Somer "Grindy Cop Beast" or Vovox, but that's a bit overkill. As we know each other and live relatively close, I can bring some different 1/4 to 1/4 cables over and you see if any of them sound worthwhile.
    KPA to mixer- Shielding and freedom from handling noise matter much more than cork sniffer qualities such as super low resistance.. after a buffer or if it's low impedance? It really doesn't matter, but noise from handling or being stepped on will be something to avoid. Coil-up resistance is a plus.. < IOW , relaxed cable with no "memory" from being coiled for transport. >
    Mixer to RCF ART310A- Same as above
    Mic to mixer- Same as above

Edited once, last by 1fastdog ().

• Thanks Paul. I'd love to try some different flavors of cable out to see if there really is any difference in tone. :thumbup:

• I think that a good cable needs a few things:
    1) neutrik connectors;
    2) good shielding;
    3) as short as possible.

My advice is to DIY. If you can't just ask to a good tech that you personally know.
    You can buy the materials and ask him to solder them for a fair price. My tech asks me 10 euros and i think that it's a really fair price.
    7 euros for two Neutrik connectors, 5-6 euros for 3 meter cable and 10 euros for soldering.
    23-24 euros for something which will last for years.

I respect people who feel like spending 100€ for a guitar cable but to me it's a complete waste.

• The higher the impedance, the more critical the signal is to noise and other degradation. Before the guitar signal has passed the preamp, the ouput signal of a passive guitar pickup has a very high impedance and a very low ouput. So this is the most critical part of the signal chain. While you dont need very high quality cables with low impedance line signals, you should make sure you have a decent cable from guitar to amp.

I have benn using Sommer Spirit XXL cables for years now and they are just awesome. Affordable, super robust and the sound is very brilliant. Though i treat my cables very bad,not a single one of those ever broke.

http://www.thomann.de/de/somme…e_spirit_xxl_instr_60.htm

• Opinions about guitar-cables vary a lot depending on how much you use the volume pot of your guitar. The more you turn it down, the more you hear how the cable affects your high end and dynamics. Same with the length: a 1 Meter cable will always sound good, no matter how cheap it was.

I swapped the output cables going to the Mackie. Voila, that was it. Huge difference.

For the line out connections out of the KPA I personally don't hear any differencees between cables. How long were those cables you had? Was it XLR or 1/4"?

www.audiosemantics.de

• These are 1/4" cables and short. No doubt at least one is defective, but it did get me thinking about how many cables are in use and whether they're impacting my sound. For anyone in the US needing cables, there is a sale at Lava - 25% off their cables and 15% off the cables they distribute for others, such as Sommers. Their price on Mogami 10' is really good ($26 less 15%), so I'm going to give those a try.

http://www.lavacable.com/index.php?id=82

Thanks to all for your input!

• I've got a cable that cames with a Custom Shop Gibson..do You think it's better than george L's I always use?
    honestly i've never tryed :| ^^

Why don't you try yourself? You don't have to buy them - you can order a choice of cables and send them back again or you take your cable to a shop and compare it to others there.

www.audiosemantics.de

• I have a 30cm patch cable (neutrik) between the receiver of my G50 and the KPA, then I use whatever XLR are available to connect to FOH.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• The higher the impedance, the more critical the signal is to noise and other degradation. Before the guitar signal has passed the preamp, the ouput signal of a passive guitar pickup has a very high impedance and a very low ouput. So this is the most critical part of the signal chain. While you dont need very high quality cables with low impedance line signals, you should make sure you have a decent cable from guitar to amp.

I have benn using Sommer Spirit XXL cables for years now and they are just awesome. Affordable, super robust and the sound is very brilliant. Though i treat my cables very bad,not a single one of those ever broke.

http://www.thomann.de/de/somme…e_spirit_xxl_instr_60.htm

I have those Sommer Spirits too, and I think they are very good quality cables, BUT: I wonder why they have such a surface-material that they are very hard to handle and you get mess with them in seconds....positive thing is that they REALLY are not slippery :)