Blink 182 sound - All the Small Things

• Okay this is going sound very weird but I tried to match the sound of Tom Delong on All The Small Things against a You Tube Isolated track.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I tried all the Mesa Triple recs I could but nothing came as close as this:

76 sunn Model T vol 6

Gain 4 ( 2 dots below 12:00 no change from original ) Bass 6 (one dot above 12:00) Middle 6 1/2 ( 2 dots above) Treble 10 ( Full) Presence 10 (Full) Volume 4 ( 2 dots below 12:00)

Used a ninty's Les Paul with stock humbuckers.

Not the amp I expected but sounds super close to me.

Let me know what you guys think. Very interested in feedback.

• Sounds double tracked and the filtering from phasing of the two is creating some light boxy space. Not a lot of low end, and distortion that sounds fine grained like from a pedal. I would think this would be pretty east to duplicate with a modern Marshall type profile & Distortion pedal in the pre.

• That sounds pretty good to me. The reason the Mesa Boogie profiles didn't sound right is because they are missing a lot of the midrange eq that Tom D added to get that sound. This video is pretty good at discussing and mimicking his setup (this is not me), but if he's right about using the marshall before the mesa, he's not really getting the same effect by putting it afterwards. I actually think it needs a bit of both. I play this song too, and here is my rig. Try it if you like. I use the free Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Ch3 R by Ian Sandoval on the rig exchange. Then I add the green scream stomp to slot B. The settings are Drive 0, Tone 10, Vol 0, Mix 100%. This stomp brings up the mids before distortion to get a cleaner, less fizzy, sounding distortion. That's not enough mids though, so I add a studio eq after the amp in slot X. After loading the default, the settings I changed are Low Gain -11db at 120Hz, Mid1 Gain +6.5db at 1750 Hz with q=.34, and Mid 2 gain +6db at 2115 Hz with q=.707. On the Kemper front, I have my gain at one led past noon, but I noticed when I tried your settings above, that I needed more gain than you had in post in order to match the tone in the video (I have a pretty low output bridge pickup). So try setting the gain at noon or a bit less, as a starter and go from there. All my kemper tone stack knobs are at noon. If you try it, let me know what you think.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Up until the Angels & Airwaves stuff he used a Marshall JCM 900 and a Mega Boogie Triple Recitifier (in parallel) as his main live sound I think. Over the years there were a lot of different amps of course. A Silver Jubilee, a JCM 800, Mesa Boogie Triaxis with a Marshall JMP-1. But the Rectifier/JCM900 combo should give you the best results:

I love my guitar rig! I love the way it sounds and I use it for one main reason: I think it adds the two elements of guitar sound you need to make a big fat sound. I use a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier and a Marshall JCM900. Mesa Boogies can have all that bottom end and saturation of distortion but it doesn't have that string note tone that a Marshall has. And Marshall has a lot of string note tone but none of that overdriven bottom end. So when you mix the two tones I think it sounds incredible. What I do is put the JCM900 on its clean channel and turn the gain up to 10 and I also do the same with the dirty channel on the Mesa. So you kind of have two totally different unique sounds blended in together. I run that out of 3, Mesa Boogie 4x12's.

Edit: This video is also interesting:

External Content youtu.be
    (at 33:24)

a JCM (800 or 900), Recitifer, Vox and Fender amp