USB audio at 48kHz

• I tried to understand the difference between 44.1khz and 48khz and its just not sinking in. So my question is: Is there a difference between both of them as far as quality goes? Or is it a compatibility thing.

From what I have read 44.1khz is what most people use at home and 48khz is what most studios use. If this is not correct please feel free to educate me because I really don't understand sample rate.

Most music professionals are working at 96k.

Video work is 48k.

You're going to launch a religious war if you ask about "quality".

But most of us, actual professional engineers, find that not only do the vast majority of A-D convertors sound "better" at the higher sample rate but that in the ox processing (especially demanding processes such as pitch and time shift) sound and work far better.

No matter what you want to believe or determine for yourself about small rates, one thing for sure is I'm going to work at the rate that I want and not let any piece of hardware dictate to me.

Bottom line is the Kemper sounds great taken into my records as an analogue source.

And by doing that I don't have to worry, or even think, about clocking or sample rate issues.

The funny thing to me is that the same people arguing that "you can't hear the difference between sample rates" are the ones arguing that "you can hear how much better it sounds being taken in SPDIF digitally"

• wow. Ok.

How many Kemper’s does it take to change a lightbulb? lol!

nice to know how open Kemper is to a dialogue about something. ha!

• wow. Ok.

How many Kemper’s does it take to change a lightbulb? lol!

nice to know how open Kemper is to a dialogue about something. ha!

….because the guy the company is named after never comes on and provides his side of things.

Except he has….over two-thousand times.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I never understood tantrums from adults. If the owner of a company tells you that this is the way his product works and the rationale behind it then either accept it or go purchase something else. The arguments have been made and considered. That should be enough. It's not a democracy. It's a company. If you want to protest then protest with your wallets. There are other brands available that might do what you want them to do.

• I think if someone has a different opinion of something, some of you guys attack that person and call him/she names. I was called a jerk when I said I didn't have any need for liquid profiling. Like my opinion doesn't count. The fan boys have spoken.

Some of the moderators on here are a bit harsh that's for sure, I have been on the receiving end of that just because I was trying to help someone. A little bit of kindness/empathy goes a long way even if you are having a bad day.

Just because under our name it says student some of us are over 60 and have used pretty much every technology under the sun. I myself have over 20 years of road experience (hardly a student) plus much more after I retired and still doing gigs. I have been playing guitar for over 50 years. I'm not better than anyone else but a little respect goes a long way.

Sorry for my rant. These are my 2 cents worth.

• The funny thing to me is that the same people arguing that "you can't hear the difference between sample rates" are the ones arguing that "you can hear how much better it sounds being taken in SPDIF digitally"

So why have I never ecountered anyone here say it sounds better thru spdif? Only questions if it sounds different or the same with spdif-questions.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I never understood tantrums from adults. If the owner of a company tells you that this is the way his product works and the rationale behind it then either accept it or go purchase something else. The arguments have been made and considered. That should be enough. It's not a democracy. It's a company. If you want to protest then protest with your wallets. There are other brands available that might do what you want them to do.

honestly just want a conversation. But the response has definitely given me pause. There is no tantrum here, btw. Just a convo. I never understood people who stick their noses into conversations they have no input to offer, just judgement.

• honestly just want a conversation. But the response has definitely given me pause. There is no tantrum here, btw. Just a convo. I never understood people who stick their noses into conversations they have no input to offer, just judgement.

I’ve never understood showing up, slinging negativity around and then putting your hands up saying “I just want conversation.”

You resurrect a resolved thread to make a snide comment to one of the most active Kemper support people on this forum.

You then criticize Christoph Kemper himself in this thread.

And the response you’ve received has given you ’pause’.

🙄

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• the vast majority is 48k minimal.

CD’s Were the only thing 44.1 and there are people today that weren’t even alive when those were the thing. Furthermore - I think a Kemper user can easily set up sample rate - I mean look at all the other Kemper features that aren’t “plug and play”. This thing is deep. Default it to 44.1 but have a 48 option. Protools is the industry standard - so should have that in mind - and why put excessive strain on the host computer recording. ALSO - sample rate conversion is re-sampling - might as well go analog… so this feature is great, but if it can’t do 48 - it’s worthless to many.

Sorry so harsh - but “plug and play” translates to an excuse to me.

But thanks for the “kind of usb” option.

The Profiler has been designed for running on a sample rate of 44.1 kHz. This gives us a determined amount of calculation power and thus a stable system for the user.

Internally we utilize sampling rates up to the MHz region, where needed. (Maybe in contrast to some PlugIns, that sound better when driven with higher sample rates from the outside.

Therefore the Profiler would not gain better sound quality at higher rates. For guitar stacks with its speaker high end roll-off even 32 kHz or 24 kHz sampling rate would be totally sufficient. Many users use the HighCut to eliminate very high frequencies.

If we provided selectable sample rates for USB, we would utilize sample rate converters as well, as we already do with S/PDIF, we had to use an SRC for each USB input and output.

That truly would put a some strain on the USB interface, but mainly on our system , which was originally meant to be a digital guitar amp.

I am sure that SRCs running in a DAW in a pure software environment will not cause significant strain.

I am aware that Protools is one industry standard DAW. I am sure they are watching the innovations of another industry standard DAW, that is Apple Logic. The latter have managed to implement realtime SRC for recording and playback a while ago. And Aggregated Driver, to combine two or more audio interfaces. To me, this developement was obvious, and just a matter of time for such big companies. Protools will have to follow, if they feel the request of the users.

I would feel a bit old-school to fill this gap on our side, while a much more intelligent solution is obvious and visible.

• Sample Rate Converter? This is all beginning to sound like "Liquid Sampling" is coming to your favorite DAW. :/

I know you can resample from 96k to 48k or 44.1k but can you up-scale from 44.1k to 48k with no problem, or does the DAW handle that? Like if I set my project to 48k, then any lower sample with be upscaled to that 48k?

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.