RM can't find Profiler (v9 Beta)

• I went ahead and took a chance on updating to the v9 beta and am regretting it very much.

I updated to PROFILER Operating System 8.7.20.44681 first and then updated Rig Manager to v3.4.28 then the profiler (Stage) to PROFILER Operating System 9.0.0.44776.

I got the following message in Rig Manager

Now I can't figure out how to get rid of this v9 beta. The option in RM to revert to previous version is greyed out .

Things I have already done:

Restarted computer (Win10/64bit)

Restarted Profiler

Changed USB cable (direct connection to computer, no hub)

The good news is the Profiler is still working with V9 beta it just can't be recognized by RM. Which is very disappointing because my only reason for trying the beta was to profile my amps in Rig Manager.

"Faith don't need no second opinion"

Edited once, last by Edward Dixon ().

• After a bit of reading, searching, and downloading I have been able to go back to the previous versions of RM and the profiler OS. So far it looks like everything is as it was.

Now all I have to do is wait on Kemper to fix all the bugs and get to a non beta release. (I hope).

• Same problem.

Windows 11 latest version. Tried to restart and with different cables plugged in directly into all available USB 2 and 3 spots.

Device manager shows "Unknown USB device (Device Descriptor Request Failed).

• It seems that a lot of people are having this sort pf problem while others like myself aren’t having any. So far it seems that most of the “can’t find profiler” type errors are happening on Windows (i am on Mac) so it could be Windows specific. Or it could just be that there are many more windows users than Mac so it just appears like it is affecting windows users more.

• I restarted the computer and the profiler a number of times trying to make it work but no such luck.

One thing I noticed was that after I went back to the 8.7.20 Profiler OS the beta RM version did recognize the profiler. I'm thinking now that the v9 Beta is the problem. I uninstalled the beta version of RM anyway because the beta version would not let me uncheck the option to include beta versions when looking for updates,

• I found a solution to my problem: high quality USB cable.

Got one in my spare computer parts box. No branding on it, don’t remember where I got it.

It seems that 9.0 requires more or faster data transfer.

• I found a solution to my problem: high quality USB cable.

Got one in my spare computer parts box. No branding on it, don’t remember where I got it.

It seems that 9.0 requires more or faster data transfer.

nope. USB2.0 is USB2.0. To get a faster connection, you would need a USB3-Port on both ends.
    Far more likely that your cable was just dirty/twisted/broken. But great to hear, that your problem was solved!

conclusion: never throw any cable away, despite what your partner says!

• OS 9.0.2 shouldn't have an impact. And our software might not be the root cause.

I had such a connection issue with Rig Manager Windows yesterday myself.

Rig Manager 3.4 on my Windows 11 PC didn't see my PROFILER Head running OS 9.0. USB Audio was working by the way!

But the same PC and Rig Manager saw my Stage and two Rack models running the same OS 9.0.

The same PROFILER Head with 9.0 was seen by Rig Manager 3.4 on a MAC and on my wife's PC running Windows 11!

And when I downgraded the PROFILER Head to OS 8.7.20, my PC with Rig Manager 3.4 saw it.

So the issue was limited to one specific PROFILER Head unit running OS 9.0 and one specific Windows 11 PC running RM 3.4.

I was able to figure out, that when this specific Head was connected to my PC, one entry in the Windows Device Manager's Video, Audio and Gaming Devices was missing. Something was obviously screwed in Windows for this particular Head as USB device.

I completely uninstalled Rig Manager via Windows Software Manager and reinstalled. That healed the issue in Windows. Now it's working: same Head with same OS, same Rig Manager revision on the same PC with same cable connection.

• No, I don't. Again, my issue only affected one particular PROFILER unit. All other units worked with the same OS, Rig Manager, PC and cable. Perhaps a hickup in Windows related to how it manages USB devices.

• My reason for asking was that after reverting the Profiler OS back to 8.7.20 the RM beta recognized the profiler immediately. I went back to RM 3.3.5 because I could not untick the" include beta version " option in RM 3.4.28. I will try again today and if the result is the same I will try uninstalling RM via Windows set up. I'll let you know......

Thank you for your quick response.

• I forgot to hit the reply button on my last post.

I have tried the beta update again and still no joy. I did see that this second beta (9.0.2) I have an unnamed device under all Rigs and also under Performances.

In the windows device manager the profiler is not showing with the beta installed but is after reverting back to OS 8.7.20

I have been using this Kemper Stage with this computer and cable since Jan 2022. I have updated quite a few times. and all was good. I don't think the problem is my particular Kemper or computer because the only thing that has changed is your software.

Edited once, last by Edward Dixon ().

• The unnamed item is a USB flash drive connected to your computer. It has 0 Rigs on it.

I suggest you open a support ticket or stick to OS 8.7.20 release for the time being.

• burkard

Update:

Well I got tired of waiting and tried to install 9.0.2 on my MacBook Pro (Catalina 10.15) with the same exact results I got on my studio computer (Win10 Home). The very next day I tried with my office computer (Win11 Pro); same exact behavior.

Process on all 3 computers:

1.Starting with Kemper OS 8.7.20 and RM 3.3.5 I check for updates (including betas) and RM updates to the 3.4. RM still recognizes the profiler.

2. reboot everything. no change.

3. Update profiler OS 9.0.2 . RM no longer recognizes the profiler.

4. reboot everything. no change, RM still does not recognize the profiler.

I have repeated this process with 5 different USB cables; no change.

I have installed ASIO4ALL (2.15), no change.

I now think the problem is the lack of a proper driver. When can we expect one and how will it be distributed for Windows machines?

Thanks,

Ed

• one of the main reason i moved to Mac many years ago was that Windows always have issues with devices,drivers or software

i installed the Beta and installed the beta RM and everything is working fine on my Mac Studio M1 Ventura

Guitar: Fender Strat HSS<3 Schecter Custom Solo II

Signal Chain: Kemper->AxeFX 3>Neural QC>Apollo Twin->M-Audio Monitors

Computer:Mac Studio