NHD - New Headphones Day

• Have had a bunch of Headphones in my life (Focal, Sennheiser HD 6xx, AKG 240 and 271 and many others) and had settled on Beyerdynamic dt770pro for vocals and dt880pro for guitars. Yesterday I took the plunge on a higher level one and got the dt1990pro. What of a difference! The level of detail and definition is a huge step up, the Soundstage is lot broader and deeper and the bass (it's an open back) are absolutely impressive. I've ended up lowering the level on the headphones because it doesn't need that much volume to hear all the details.

The guitar sounds and effects really shines and feels a lot more complex and dynamic.

They aren't cheap, but well worth the price.

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• Thanks for the info!

I have used Sennheiser HD280s forever. Very flat and great noise isolation. Hate the heavy coiled cord.

Recently went to the dt770 because I like the straight cord, etc. These also sound flat.

I dont enjoy playing guitar on either ones. It sounds very mid rangy and boxy.

I borrowed of a pair of Arctis 7 gaming phones and they are much better for guitar. The wireless is also nice. But is not practical for long loud jam sessions.

Makes me wonder which wired phones would be good. But I would require closed back, which probably kills the frequency response and adds the boxy sound.

• For guitars I prefer Open Back ones exactly for that reason, the sound is a lot more natural an open. I use closed ones only if I have a large membrane mic on duty

• The awful truth of this is a see a lot of people playing music on their cellphones now. It's got me wondering how far should I bother to go for better headphones to mix with.

I'm currently using Marantz MPH-4. Closed back over ear. They are a bit heavy on the low end but are closely matched to my regular playback speakers. I like the Senn HD280 for the next pair.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• The awful truth of this is a see a lot of people playing music on their cellphones now. It's got me wondering how far should I bother to go for better headphones to mix with.

I'm currently using Marantz MPH-4. Closed back over ear. They are a bit heavy on the low end but are closely matched to my regular playback speakers. I like the Senn HD280 for the next pair.

True, but don't underestimate the hi-end bluetooth inEar/headphones they use...Bose, Harman Kardon, Sony, Beats....and a lot of music is at 96kHz...

• How would you compare it to the HD600

Clearer and deeper sound. The pads makes also a lot of difference. The analytical ones make it similar to the Focal, but not so ear fatiguing, the balanced ones are just spectacular. Only downside the DT are quite a bit heavier than the Sennheiser, but once they are setted up you don't feel it as much (unless you start shaking the head around).