Powered Rack Live

• Hi Everyone!

New Kemper user and just got the powered rack. I play in a Metalcore style band with 2 guitarists and screaming vocals. Trying to figure out how to get the best live mix with what I'm working with?!?

Me: Powered Kemper Rack-->Orange 2x12 closed

2nd guitar: 120 Peavey invective -->Orange 2x12 closed

My cab emulation is off on all profiles and it honestly sounded great during practice, but I definitely was missing the thump and presence I get from using my 100w tube heads.

• Sounds like the different room had an effect.

I'd look at the Output section tone controls. Bass, Mid, Treble and possibly hi/low cut.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Yes, I will need to mess with that section. I'm sure that's where I can make it come "alive".

I wish there was more videos or tutorials on YouTube of people using the powered version with a full band and real cabs.

• I have used my powered Toaster with guitar cab(several different types 1x12, 2x12,4x12) live many times for many different types of music. I never experienced any issues that I couldn't solve during a gig. As alluded to, why do you think it changed from rehearsal to the live gig? It could only be the room or the PA, right? If something was missing during a live gig while using your tube amp you would have adjusted knobs, correct? Did you try that with the Kemper? IME, the powered Kemper is capable of putting out punishing lows and thump.

I switched to using a PA(FRFR) monitor instead of guitar cabs because I feel it gives me more consistent sound on stage compared to FOH. I don't have any quick fix to offer other than adjust controls in real time during the gig. Good luck.

• 2 things:

1) I assume you are NOT playing off your backline live? You should be going direct into the PA?

2) When you say cab off, you mean monitor cab off not the cab section? Otherwise this will show up direct through the PA

3) Its easy to over use effects - make sure you have not added too many effects - that totally impacts that "thump"

4) Have you tried direct profiles?

• I play high gain (Sevendust-Killswitch, as well as a lot of 80's-90 metal..)..Irun my powerhead through a 412 V30 cab, right along with my other guitar player(Boogie MKIV head and recto 412)..I profiled the MKIV and just end up tweeking it in real time when we're both playing..No problem , just use the monitor EQ (..this leaves the mix to the board or direct recording untouched..).. I end up adding a little bass, but turn the presence down to 9Oclock, and the treble to 10 oclcok..this gets rid of some of the harshness and "Ice-picky" sound you can get from SS vs tube....SLIGHT tweeks of the EQ beyond that and you should be good. Don't be afraid to crank the Kemper as it does sound better the louder it gets. Of course, the profile has to be good..there's A LOT of "Meh" profiles in the Kemper and the user group/share page.... The differenc ebetween those, and payiing $50-75 for some 3rd party ( STL Tones, CILLILABS, and Josh Middleton are a few good ones), and the "free" profiles is live and loud with the band...ALLthe way there so to speak. Hope this helps.

• I have to say I've heard this complaint more than once related to that general musical style and trying to compete with a screaming tube amp. I think you just need to turn up your monitor or get the other guitarist to lower theirs.

Are the guitars in the PA or filling the venue from the guitar cabs?

• Thanks for all the replies!

We don't have anything currently going to FOH at gigs, but that will change very shortly. We use in ears and currently mic our cabs for that. I need to dial in the the power section some more and try some DI or merged profiles.

• I play high gain (Sevendust-Killswitch, as well as a lot of 80's-90 metal..)..Irun my powerhead through a 412 V30 cab, right along with my other guitar player(Boogie MKIV head and recto 412)..I profiled the MKIV and just end up tweeking it in real time when we're both playing..No problem , just use the monitor EQ (..this leaves the mix to the board or direct recording untouched..).. I end up adding a little bass, but turn the presence down to 9Oclock, and the treble to 10 oclcok..this gets rid of some of the harshness and "Ice-picky" sound you can get from SS vs tube....SLIGHT tweeks of the EQ beyond that and you should be good. Don't be afraid to crank the Kemper as it does sound better the louder it gets. Of course, the profile has to be good..there's A LOT of "Meh" profiles in the Kemper and the user group/share page.... The differenc ebetween those, and payiing $50-75 for some 3rd party ( STL Tones, CILLILABS, and Josh Middleton are a few good ones), and the "free" profiles is live and loud with the band...ALLthe way there so to speak. Hope this helps.

Are you saying that the STL and JM tones are worth the money compared to stock profiles?

• Are you saying that the STL and JM tones are worth the money compared to stock profiles?

I disagree, in that its not that black and white.

I've used a lot of stock profiles and purchased profiles. There are good and bad profiles in the free ones AND purchased ones....before you go spending £00's on profiles..

• I disagree, in that its not that black and white.

I've used a lot of stock profiles and purchased profiles. There are good and bad profiles in the free ones AND purchased ones....before you go spending £00's on profiles..

True...That's why I suggested the 3rd parties I suggested. Those in particular ARE by far and away A LOT better than ANY stock K profiles or freebies .No need to spend$100 either.. $20-50 should do it. Of course you should always scroll through and try what's available for free...You can get lucky after endless hours of searching. Again- specific to high-gain studio ready and or live ready sounds . There are also a lot of other great 3rd party out there as well.

• True...That's why I suggested the 3rd parties I suggested. Those in particular ARE by far and away A LOT better than ANY stock K profiles or freebies .No need to spend$100 either.. $20-50 should do it. Of course you should always scroll through and try what's available for free...You can get lucky after endless hours of searching. Again- specific to high-gain studio ready and or live ready sounds . There are also a lot of other great 3rd party out there as well.

In your opinion....personally I don't rate those profiles...there are some great free profiles out there...