Rig Manager versions supported on Windows 8.1 no longer see the Profiler with OS 9 betas.

• Hi,

I am using an older machine without Win 10 and sharing the RM database with other more up to date machines. The Win 8.1 has an older edition of RM - the most up to date that would install. With 9.0 beta, that version of RM no longer detects the profiler. Is this backward compatability unable to be maintained?

• Windows 8.1 and everything below Windows 10 1709 are not usable with the beta 9.0. They don‘t provide APIs and features that are needed for USB Audio 2.0.

The current Release RM 3.3 and OS 8.7 can still be used with Windows 8.1.

• I was able to perform a free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 only months ago, despite the fact Windows said the time to do so had passed. You may wish to check your system requirements and try.

• I see the new Beta version of Rig Manager only supports MacOS 10.14 and later. I presume that there are still a lot of users like myself that are still using High Sierra (10.13) because of the limitations of our Macs. Will these machines be supported after beta? I don't really want to buy a new computer just to continue using Rig Manager.

• I see the new Beta version of Rig Manager only supports MacOS 10.14 and later. I presume that there are still a lot of users like myself that are still using High Sierra (10.13) because of the limitations of our Macs. Will these machines be supported after beta? I don't really want to buy a new computer just to continue using Rig Manager.

No, Rig Manager 3.4 and higher will require macOS 10.14 or higher.

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

A really stable and good method to install the new MAC OS Ventura on older MAC's is "Open Core Legacy Patcher".
    I myself have installed this on several devices and it's really easy to use.
    You need a USB stick and should of course have a backup of your data.

Attached video link:

https://www.youtube.com/@Mr.Macintosh

Download Link:

https://github.com/dortania/Op…atcher/releases/tag/0.6.6

Be the force with you ;)

• I was able to perform a free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 only months ago, despite the fact Windows said the time to do so had passed. You may wish to check your system requirements and try.

I may have to resort to this but have resisted so far as I have lots of stuff (audio s/w and otherwise) licensed on this Win 8.1 machine that may not survive the update to Win 10.

• A really stable and good method to install the new MAC OS Ventura on older MAC's is "Open Core Legacy Patcher".
    I myself have installed this on several devices and it's really easy to use.
    You need a USB stick and should of course have a backup of your data.

Attached video link:

https://www.youtube.com/@Mr.Macintosh

Download Link:

https://github.com/dortania/Op…atcher/releases/tag/0.6.6

I was going to try this but I think my mac is actually too old to run Ventura using this patch. I patched it with Mojave instead and left a comment on another thread regarding this so I think this may come up again with a few other users as there are plenty of macs that won't officially support any OS beyond 10.13.

• I may have to resort to this but have resisted so far as I have lots of stuff (audio s/w and otherwise) licensed on this Win 8.1 machine that may not survive the update to Win 10.

Select to do an update instead of a new install then you should be okay. I did a Win 7 Pro 64b to Win 10 Pro (64bit) for free as an update and it kept all my settings.

Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and follow the prompts. All FREE.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I was going to try this but I think my mac is actually too old to run Ventura using this patch. I patched it with Mojave instead and left a comment on another thread regarding this so I think this may come up again with a few other users as there are plenty of macs that won't officially support any OS beyond 10.13.

How old is your MAC ?
    Im running Monterey on an 2011 MacBook Pro. And Ventura on an 2014 iMac.
    Did you rund the Postinstallation Procedure ?

https://dortania.github.io/Ope…egacy-Patcher/MODELS.html

Be the force with you ;)

• How old is your MAC ?
    Im running Monterey on an 2011 MacBook Pro. And Ventura on an 2014 iMac.
    Did you rund the Postinstallation Procedure ?

https://dortania.github.io/Ope…egacy-Patcher/MODELS.html

2011 Macbook Pro. I tried Ventura but the bluetooth module doesn't work. I use a wireless keyboard and trackpad so it was a no go. Maybe Monterey will work better. I might give it a go when I have a free evening.

• 2011 Macbook Pro. I tried Ventura but the bluetooth module doesn't work. I use a wireless keyboard and trackpad so it was a no go. Maybe Monterey will work better. I might give it a go when I have a free evening.

I see,
    It seems you didn't do the postinstall. During the installation from the USB stick, no drivers for Bluetooth, audio or graphics card are available. The drivers may not be known at this point.

The post-installation process determines and installs the necessary drivers only after the installation. Therefore, you should always have a wired keyboard and mouse at hand. With a notebook, the keyboard and the touchpad should suffice for installation.

Be the force with you ;)

• FWIW - I believe Dosdude’s Monterey patcher can be used with OpenCore. Meaning, you can upgrade to Monterey, then patch to Ventura.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I see,
    It seems you didn't do the postinstall. During the installation from the USB stick, no drivers for Bluetooth, audio or graphics card are available. The drivers may not be known at this point.

The post-installation process determines and installs the necessary drivers only after the installation. Therefore, you should always have a wired keyboard and mouse at hand. With a notebook, the keyboard and the touchpad should suffice for installatio

I did the post install with both Ventura and latterly Monterey. It's a Macbook so the onboard keyboard and trackpad worked fine.

I don't think Opencore even looks to install any drivers for the wireless keyboard and trackpad for this machine because it isn't an iMac or Mac Pro. They don't work on either OS. From what I've read, it looks like it is something to do with the bluetooth stack being linked to a legacy USB protocol in certain older machines. This protocol appears to have been dropped in Monterey and there isn't any simple patch available. It looks like a hardware upgrade would be required. Apple do seem to love rendering their expensive hardware useless after a few years. Thankfully not so with CK...

Having said that, Big Sur worked fine with the wireless hardware so I'll stick with that OS for now.

• Apple do seem to love rendering their expensive hardware useless after a few years.

I certainly get your meaning, but that doesn't sound like Apple's fault. Could they have made it backwards compatible? Probably...but they also don't support an OS more than three versions back. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As for useless......I'm still running two 12 year old Macs that were purchased new. The iMac is on its second hard drive and requires a video card swap to update beyond High Sierra. Doable, but not for the faint hearted. The Air went to Monterey without issue. It runs a little hot, but loading a 2 year old OS onto a 12 year old machine? I'm surprised it runs at all.

In comparison, Windows machines tend to not age well.

• How so?

I personally know of no one using a 2 year old Windows OS (equivalent to Monterey) on a machine from 2011 (or older) with the identical configuration it shipped with. I'm not suggesting someone isn't, just that I'm not aware of it.

• On Windows, you mostly do not need to use a really up to date OS. Most apps support a lot of backward compatibility. Reaper still runs on 20 year old OS versions. My oldest RME interface from 2001 still has current drivers. I have often used the same OS I built the machine with for 8 years. Some apps start to demand something more up to date but I can get most of my work done on older machines for up to 10 years.

Mac users using Logic have reported spending up big on a new machine and finding that it is basically unsupported in less that 5 years. Today Apple annouced it is going with its M series (ARM) processors from top to bottom of its range. Getting support on your Intel Mac for much longer is going to be a forlorn hope I would expect. Planned obsolescence is a PITA which ever way you go.