Marshall with Golub mod?

• Hi, I just purchased a Kemper and the tones are amazing! The clincher for me was the Golub Crunch mod video/audio I heard/saw on You Tube. I can't find the Golub mod via the Search engine. Any help finding it would be much appreciated.

• Just go to Rig Exchange and search with "Golub", it's right there. Yep, it's a great profile, one of my all time favourites. I'm using it regularly when gigging.

• One of my personal favorites. I've paired it with the Greenback cab of the Siggi Mehl amps and got instant "Green Day" sound with a Les Paul. Billy Joe Armstrong uses a Golub modded Marshall either with a mod very similar to the crunch mod.

• I thought I'd resurrect this thread since I first saw the mentioned youtube video a couple of days ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qs4arEelwM

I've tried to get close to this tone just with the profile and haven't had much luck, anyone managed to replicate it? The clip mentions the cab is "Uwe's Orange cab", but I couldn't find that profile in the exchange. I'm using a V-Neck DeLuxe Strat loaded with DiMarzio Area 67 in the neck and middle and a 61 in the bridge.

• Hello guys,

How do we know that the Siggi Mehl's cabs are greenbacks? When I look at the Tags for the associated cabs I only see "Mars" and "4x12".

Also they all sound kind of similar but different depending on which Siggi Mehl rig you take them from (I mean, that I switch the cabs for the Marshall Golub Crunch with the Siggi Mehl ones).

Maybe this is just because I'm still too rookie to properly operate the Kemper.

Thanks.

• Hello DocLine6,

Maybe I am not looking at the proper rig... Would you know which rig name you are referring to?

I am looking at the S.Mehl profiles and the cabs in there are labelled "Mars"... Sorry, I'm out of town without my Kemper so I don't remember the profile names exactly.

• Hello DocLine6,

Maybe I am not looking at the proper rig... Would you know which rig name you are referring to?

I am looking at the S.Mehl profiles and the cabs in there are labelled "Mars"... Sorry, I'm out of town without my Kemper so I don't remember the profile names exactly.

You need to press "Show Tag" and then use the "scroll" dial to scroll through the tags of the cab. But I think the cabs from the S. Mehl amp aren't properly labelled and they don't read "Greenback" on my Kemper neither. The information about one being a Greenback and another one being a blackback comes from the "Factory Rigs reference list" available under "Important Announcements" here in the forum. Internal links are broken here in the forum so I can't give you the direct link.

The information that the Greenback cab is G12M25 and the Blackback is G12H30 was a shot in the dark by myself just going by the sound of them. After I posted my assumption, it was confirmed by Burkhard of the Kemper team here in the forum.

• I thought I'd resurrect this thread since I first saw the mentioned youtube video a couple of days ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qs4arEelwM

I've tried to get close to this tone just with the profile and haven't had much luck, anyone managed to replicate it? The clip mentions the cab is "Uwe's Orange cab", but I couldn't find that profile in the exchange. I'm using a V-Neck DeLuxe Strat loaded with DiMarzio Area 67 in the neck and middle and a 61 in the bridge.

I've gotten some really good high gain tones for humbucker guitars using that profile as a starting point, but couldn't duplicate the open, transparent quality in the video tone with either of my stage strats. You may be having problems for the same reason:

Your Area pickups (some of my favorite, BTW) and my Lace Sensors+Clapton circuit have more output, and can be much closer to the strings than the vintage output pickups used in the video. The guitars in the video are also likely set up with the pickups far away from the strings.

I have another strat with regular single coils - I adjusted the pickups way down (using the recommended settings in the Guitar Player Repair book) and that tone was instantly there. I keep my pickups my preferred distance, to get what I like with my tube amps, and have lowered the clean and distortion sense so I can get pretty close to the tones I hear in the examples with minimal tweaking.

• Internal links are broken here in the forum so I can't give you the direct link.

It might be worth pointing out, again, that the links work if you link a word\sentence.
    Just select a word or a phrase. The chain (link) tool will be available on the toolbar. Click on it, a text field will open where you'll be able to paste the URL.

HTH

• I've gotten some really good high gain tones for humbucker guitars using that profile as a starting point, but couldn't duplicate the open, transparent quality in the video tone with either of my stage strats. You may be having problems for the same reason:

Your Area pickups (some of my favorite, BTW) and my Lace Sensors+Clapton circuit have more output, and can be much closer to the strings than the vintage output pickups used in the video. The guitars in the video are also likely set up with the pickups far away from the strings.

I have another strat with regular single coils - I adjusted the pickups way down (using the recommended settings in the Guitar Player Repair book) and that tone was instantly there. I keep my pickups my preferred distance, to get what I like with my tube amps, and have lowered the clean and distortion sense so I can get pretty close to the tones I hear in the examples with minimal tweaking.

My strat is loaded with 67 neck, 67 middle and 61 bridge, and although I'm aware I can put them closer to the strings I use the traditional setup as you've described, yet the tone wasn't there, in fact I suspect it might be partially because I removed the tone controls from positions 2-3-4 and have one pot dedicated to the bridge pickup and the other one for the neck pickup. Maybe some rewiring is in order, I'm finding this one a bit too bright on positions 2-3-4. Anyway two things that got me *really* closer: 1) that guy isn't using a pick, he's playing with his fingers. Half the tone is right there, trust me - I gave it a try and although I haven't practiced fingerpicking for a while, it does make a noticeable difference. 2) adding a green screamer with no drive, volume at <0.0> and tone at -1.0 got me a lot closer to the tone in the video as well.