Midi controller change assigns

• Fair enough, the Kemper clearly isn't a solution for everyone. To be honest, its missing some effects which I use fairly regularly and I've had to supplement the device. Never played the GT-PRO, but I've owned both the Boss GT-10 and GT-100 and the Kemper is a huge, huge step up in the amp tone department from those units especially when running direct, it has nothing to do with tweaking. The Kemper doesn't run 12 effects (it is limited in signal chain flexibility as compared to the GT series as well), so it clearly doesn't meet your example, but I can control the state of 8 effects with a single button push of the FCB by making 2 rigs on the Kemper and switching between them. There are many ways to skin a cat...

• Fair enough, the Kemper clearly isn't a solution for everyone. To be honest, its missing some effects which I use fairly regularly and I've had to supplement the device. Never played the GT-PRO, but I've owned both the Boss GT-10 and GT-100 and the Kemper is a huge, huge step up in the amp tone department from those units especially when running direct, it has nothing to do with tweaking. The Kemper doesn't run 12 effects (it is limited in signal chain flexibility as compared to the GT series as well), so it clearly doesn't meet your example, but I can control the state of 8 effects with a single button push of the FCB by making 2 rigs on the Kemper and switching between them. There are many ways to skin a cat...

Sure as you say, many ways to do things, but many things doesnt seem possible anyway.

The GT-pro is the rack version of the GT-8 with added connectivity like 2 separate stereo outputs, one with both XLR and TS connectors and USB audio IO with computer editor, its really a great unit, thats why i havent found anything that can replace it yet and have used it for 7 years. Many think the GT-8 sounded better than the GT-10, i dont know how the GT-100 is i havent tried it or any of the floor pedals since it hasnt been my thing really.

• Sure as you say, many ways to do things, but many things doesnt seem possible anyway.

The GT-pro is the rack version of the GT-8 with added connectivity like 2 separate stereo outputs, one with both XLR and TS connectors and USB audio IO with computer editor, its really a great unit, thats why i havent found anything that can replace it yet and have used it for 7 years. Many think the GT-8 sounded better than the GT-10, i dont know how the GT-100 is i havent tried it or any of the floor pedals since it hasnt been my thing really.

Well it seems the GT-Pro has all the features you care most about. The Kemper does not meet any of the features you've listed you love about the GT-Pro: no USB audio, no computer editor, no custom/active range CC assignments, and only 8 effects at a time. There...I just saved you $2,000! :thumbup:

• For me, as a live player, the midi control is one of the most important aspects. And there are things you can't program in presets.
    An example:
    You would have four effects that you want to engage/disengage whenever needed in all different combinations that could happen: Wah, Treble boost, Mid boost, Delay. Why? You can't say what song comes and goes next in your setlist and on stage some things can happen where you don't want to be limited.
    And you would have a bank of five sounds: The number of possible combinations is 5 banks x 4IAs x 3 IAs x 2IAs x 1 = 120. You would have to program 120 presets to have all combinations available! Not only that I needed to keep an overview over so many presets, which is almost impossible, I also needed to maintain all these. Whenever I needed to change a setting of a basic sound, I needed to reflect that changes on all other banks too, all that are based on the same sounds. You see, even 4 instant options are way too much to handle it with presets!

With IA switches is easier: You have 5 buttons for the presets and 4 buttons for the effects, that's all. You have to maintain one bank only and 4 effects only, that's all. (BTW: That's how real amps work, you have some basic channels with real knobs and when you turn any of these knobs it gets reflected to all presets that are based on that channel).

Just wanted to show that you can't replace what CCs can do by programing presets. Presets are no solution for live playing. You can't keep up even with a simple amp with stomps that way.

• For me, as a live player, the midi control is one of the most important aspects. And there are things you can't program in presets.
    An example:
    You would have four effects that you want to engage/disengage whenever needed in all different combinations that could happen: Wah, Treble boost, Mid boost, Delay. Why? You can't say what song comes and goes next in your setlist and on stage some things can happen where you don't want to be limited.
    And you would have a bank of five sounds: The number of possible combinations is 5 banks x 4IAs x 3 IAs x 2IAs x 1 = 120. You would have to program 120 presets to have all combinations available! Not only that I needed to keep an overview over so many presets, which is almost impossible, I also needed to maintain all these. Whenever I needed to change a setting of a basic sound, I needed to reflect that changes on all other banks too, all that are based on the same sounds. You see, even 4 instant options are way too much to handle it with presets!

With IA switches is easier: You have 5 buttons for the presets and 4 buttons for the effects, that's all. You have to maintain one bank only and 4 effects only, that's all. (BTW: That's how real amps work, you have some basic channels with real knobs and when you turn any of these knobs it gets reflected to all presets that are based on that channel).

Just wanted to show that you can't replace what CCs can do by programing presets. Presets are no solution for live playing. You can't keep up even with a simple amp with stomps that way.

Huh? I'm not arguing against using CCs, I use them as well. I'm saying if someone wants a single footswitch to control many CC messages (ie, there's some solid planning and programming happening here) why not store 2 patches, one with all on and one with all off. You can still assign other pedals on the all off patch to send the CC messages to turn the individual effects on and off.

• Well it seems the GT-Pro has all the features you care most about. The Kemper does not meet any of the features you've listed you love about the GT-Pro: no USB audio, no computer editor, no custom/active range CC assignments, and only 8 effects at a time. There...I just saved you $2,000! :thumbup:

Yeah, ive actually been thinking that lately more and more, especially since i got the VST speaker sim plugin. I really like the idea of the KPA though and my ideal preamp would be something very close to the GT-pro, but with the preamp sim of the KPA. You can of course technically combine the two units, but i really dont want to scale up the size of my fairly small rig rather the opposite.

We will see what the future brings, looks like i will stay with my old trusted GT-pro for some time yet. I do get lots of compliments on the sound when playing live, but i do after all use a Mesa 20/20 tube power amp and mic the speaker in the traditional way.

Agreed! My $140 DigiTech pedal lets me assign the expression pedal to any parameter on a patch-by-patch basis. Why not the KPA?

I think CK's argument would be that the intelligence should live in the controller, and not clutter up the KPA OS.

But for the record, I'm with you. There are too many legacy controllers and DIY controller options out there that are inflexible in some way, and a robust MIDI implementation in the KPA would add a lot of value without compromising its important qualities - e.g. tone - in any way. MIDI processing is cheap cheap cheap in terms of CPU demands, etc, and any UI complexities could be isolated to one little menu screen that most users could/would opt to ignore.

• I think CK's argument would be that the intelligence should live in the controller, and not clutter up the KPA OS.

But for the record, I'm with you. There are too many legacy controllers and DIY controller options out there that are inflexible in some way, and a robust MIDI implementation in the KPA would add a lot of value without compromising its important qualities - e.g. tone - in any way. MIDI processing is cheap cheap cheap in terms of CPU demands, etc, and any UI complexities could be isolated to one little menu screen that most users could/would opt to ignore.

But then, why would you buy the KPA controller if any old controller would do? ;)

• I think CK's argument would be that the intelligence should live in the controller, and not clutter up the KPA OS.

Yeah, if CK were purely interested in maximizing user happiness per development hour, I would think granting new life to all of our legacy devices by implementing what I'm guessing would be a minor code change (minor relative to audio-intensive feature requests) would be an attractive project.

But then, why would you buy the KPA controller if any old controller would do? ;)

I have no interest in a controller that big and involved and hope that CK isn't thinking along these lines.