Front-panel noise gate replaced by Gate 4:1 or 2:1?

• Since the addition of the new gates stomp (Gate 4:1, 2:1), what I have been doing to all of my profiles is to zero out the front panel noise gate and engage 4:1... I don't know other people's preference, but for me, 4:1 works much better. So... I was wondering if it is possible to replace the front-panel noise gate with the 4:1 or 2:1, so that I don't have to sacrifice a slot in the STOMPS section. Maybe, an option can be added to SYSTEM, which can allow users to choose which noise gate to use by default.

Thanks!
    Jake

• Great idea!

Would be nice to get a per rig "gate option" - and since we have the lock feature it's easy to change settings very fast.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• -1 for me

let me elaborate:

the normal noisegate removes hum and hiss (don't quote me on the latter) while trying to preserve the dynamics of playing.

The 4:1 and 2:1 noisegates just cut everything (including guitar tone) below a certain threshhold (again, don't quote me on the technical mumbo-jumbo).

I often use both types of noisegates combined for really high-gain sounds. And this is mainly, because the normal noisegate can't be set high enough, without seriously affecting the guitar tone (doubler/sitar effect).
    With super highgain, the 4:1 or 2:1 are dead silent, but once you start playing, you get the hum on top (which is removed only by the normal NG).

EDIT: plus the 2:1 and 4:1 noisegates slightly affect playing dynamics. It is subtle, but it is there...

So basically, I'd vote for a further improvement of the normal noisegate (if possible - it is already improved, but it is about 7 - 10% off from being perfect).

Or if it suits you guys: let us manually choose which noisegate to use on the NG dial. (but for me: do not get rid of the normal NG)

Edited 2 times, last by schneidas ().

• I am in the same situation. Keep the front gate!

• Yeah, I expected there would be ones with different opinion. Wouldn't making it assignable (choose among the current front-panel one, 4:1, or 2:1) be a solution that satisfies everyone? Also, I wouldn't mind having the front-panel gate improved. :rolleyes:

• Yeah, I expected there would be ones with different opinion. Wouldn't making it assignable (choose among the current front-panel one, 4:1, or 2:1) be a solution that satisfies everyone? Also, I wouldn't mind having the front-panel gate improved. :rolleyes:

Yes, best for everyone would be front-panel one with these 3 options!