Best MIDI foot controller to use with the KPA

• Hi,

After a recent tour and recording in the US, I came back home to Australia and bought a KPA. I've had it for a day, and I'm loving it so far.

One thing I havent been able to find too much information on is using a foot controller for live playing. Its a shame that the KPA doesn't come with a footswitch of some sort, so what is the best foot controller to use with the KPA?

Is there an actual recommended product that works best with the KPA without having to alter it (referring to the behringer fcb 1010 and the need for a UNO chip) because I really need to be able to control the rig with my feet.

Obviously looking for something on the cheap side considering I've just forked out all this cash on the KPA!

And if it comes down to the behringer, how hard is it to program settings to?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers.

• there is a dedicated kemper midicontroller in the works but no releasedate as far as I know. any midicontroller should work. for now I'm using my old pod hd-500 and it works perfectly...can't comment on the other options but it's been discussed in several threads here.

• A Kemper footcontroller is on the work, though no release date available at the moment. IMHO the best value for the money is the Rocktron Midi Raider (basically an All Access in a smaller case), but it's still over 300$. There is a thread with a complete tutorial for programming the Midi Raider for use with the KPA.

Welcome on board! :thumbup:

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• without having to alter it (referring to the behringer fcb 1010 and the need for a UNO chip)

Hm, the UNO chip is 16€ and putting it into the FCB takes just minutes and anyone can do it. So why should you shy away from that? I wouldn't rule out the Behringer. It's working great with the KPA and is very affordable!

Together with the Ripwerx software it's very easy to program it!

Cheers,
    Markus

• Thanks for the quick replies.

Re: the UNO chip, it's not the expense; in fact it's probably by far the most cost effecttive solution. Its just a hassle, to have to order, wait for it, pull the behringer apart, replace the chip, etc. I would just rather buy a unit that is ready to go if it's somewhere around the same price.

The raider sounds good I might check that out. So far the behringer seems to be the winner though.

Just to clarify also; the behringer would just be a midi controller, and doesnt have any additional presets? And the raider does have additional preset effects, etc? Is that why it's a fair bit more?

Cheers for the help!

• i would purchase a KPA f/c now if it were available..

A Kemper footcontroller is on the work, though no release date available at the moment. IMHO the best value for the money is the Rocktron Midi Raider (basically an All Access in a smaller case), but it's still over 300$. There is a thread with a complete tutorial for programming the Midi Raider for use with the KPA.

Welcome on board! :thumbup:

• Any idea when it's due? Price?

Would be awesome if they made it small enough to fit in the Kemper case or something...Less is more!

• so far i've tried a few....

roland fc-200 - old school but still fantastic. built like a tank. perfect for switching presets, and the expression pedal is already assigned for use as a volume pedal. there is also a 'stompbox' mode but i'm not sure if you can change the actual CC #'s on the fb to make them coincide with the kpa. i haven't used it thoroughly enough.

ground control pro - might be a great option for you. allows you to run instant access stombox switches on the top half of the unit while still being able to switch patches via the bottom row. fully programmable for CC's.

FCB/Uno combination - i'm still learning about this, and i'm starting to think this is the overall best way. yes, you'll have to pull the thing apart, but for the money you'll get some great flexibility.

gordius little giant 2 - what i'm using now. very small and insanely powerful. this unit will do whatever you can dream up. however, if you're not interested in programming the thing i'd advise against it. i'm a tweaker myself and it still took me a couple of hours to get the thing up and running the way i wanted to.

if you're looking for as close to plug and play as possible i'd say do the GCP or the FCB/Uno setup.

• Cheers for the replies.

I think the behringer is looking like the winner so far. And then when the KPA comes out, that might be another option down the track.

Thanks!

A

• hey mate!

Good to see another Aussie on the forum!

Whereabouts are you?

I'm using the Gordius LG2 - awesome for tweakability etc!

Cheers!

• So I bought the Behringer, and the UNO chip is on it's way.

Before I stuff it up, how do I program the pedal properly? I heard about using a program called ripwerx but I use a mac, and apparently not compatible. Can anyone clarify this?

So for someone in my position (limited midi knowledge / Keen live guitarist) How do i get this up and running as easily and quickly as possible? I someone can point me in the direction of an easy guide to this, I would be very grateful. Did a search, and couldnt find anything relevant to this.

Thanks for all your help

Mulyadi - Mate I'm in Sydney at the moment, but spend about 6 months of the year on tour! So Sydney for the next week before Im off again!

• Hi, I use Behringer FCB1010 with Uno chip and it works fine, but:
    just have to mention that I did have two other FCB:s with Uno chip programmed excatly same way and they didnt work (expression pedal problem). It never solved why only this one unit works and two others not with KPA.
    -Olli

• Ripwerx is completely platform independent. So it will absolutely run on a Mac.
    I would recommend you visit http://www.voes.be/fcb1010/index.htm. There you will find more info about it. On that site you can find a good tutorial on using Ripwerx (under "Howto -> Program your FCB1010 with Ripwerx software"). This should easily help you to get started.
    And if you're stuck just ask here or feel free to write me a PM so we can help you! ;)

Cheers,
    Markus

• Hi, I use Behringer FCB1010 with Uno chip and it works fine, but:
    just have to mention that I did have two other FCB:s with Uno chip programmed excatly same way and they didnt work (expression pedal problem). It never solved why only this one unit works and two others not with KPA.
    -Olli

Did you calibrate the expressionpedals ?

I have two FCB1010 myself (one for backup) and have been using them for years, great pedals for the money, i dont use UNO though or have a KPA , just the standard FCB with my Boss GT-pro.

• I am using the Roland FC-300 and it works fine with!

• I am using a Roland FC200 for more than 15 years and it is still great. It has a seperate ctl switch which I assigned to the tuner, works fine. Until now I have no idea how to assign the expression pedal of the FC200 to the monitor output. KPA is recieving at address page 127 the value 2 for it, but I need help how to send this from the expression pedal. Any idea?

Thx