Is it weird that some of the profiles I'm most interested in trying are of...

• ...modelers?

I know its a bit weird, but I'm a long time modeling fanatic. Some of the Sansamp and VG-99 stuff out there has actually piqued my curiosity and I'm excited to try them. Also had a revelation this morning that I can now profile Peavey's Revalver and bring it where ever I want. I my first profile of my goto dirty patch on the GSP1101 and it was an eye opening experience, so incredibly close to the original its scary. The Kemper allows me to create a "best of" modeler and real worlds profiles and bring them to the gig. Very cool!

• i´ve done a revalver profile with just the jsx head (of course no cab sim on revalver) and i was like "ohh my god...its exactly the same..."
    now try this

load any good KPA Cab and youll be more than amazed....and yes, why not a KPA Reverb and yes, a bit of Delay....

ohh my god, sorry...got to go play with my KPA again

see ya! :D

• i'm a big fanatic of Peavey JSX...have them both in Revalver and in real amp...check my humble JSX profile and tweak those EQs ^^

• And, I bet the Kemper version of your Revalver JSX with the Kemper cab will feel MUCH better to play and have far greater dynamic ability than the Revalver version...correct?

• Just a thought Will. There are a few profiles on the rig exchange using a Palmer speaker sim instead of a miced up cab. You could always switch the cab on these for the cabs on your profiles if you want. Might be the sound you are after.
    Just type palmer into the search line of the exchange and you will see a few I did way back when......

• will as a long time modeller user, I think perhaps your ears are really accustomed to that digital modeling sound. It happens. This is why probably some of the real amps just don't sound as good to you, as you are used to hearing something, especially from certain pieces of gear. Not a bad thing, but in general every modeller profile I have tried I have ditched, including all of the best of Axe FX, as I just didn't think they were as good as others I have liked of real amps.

might have to let you ear adjust, do lots of recording, A/B comparisons, get opinions etc. In the end you will like what you like, but certainly have seen lots of people who use modellers for years snub real guitar tones as they just got used to hearing a certain something.

• I also enjoy some of the modeler profiles. I like a few of the AXE ones, especially the Metallica Enter Sandman patch. I also like the Line 6 "Insane" patch and a few of the Elevenrack profiles. They aren't my favorites or go-to patches, but I will play with them if I'm scrolling through profiles looking for inspiration from time to time.

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach

• will as a long time modeller user, I think perhaps your ears are really accustomed to that digital modeling sound. It happens. This is why probably some of the real amps just don't sound as good to you, as you are used to hearing something, especially from certain pieces of gear. Not a bad thing, but in general every modeller profile I have tried I have ditched, including all of the best of Axe FX, as I just didn't think they were as good as others I have liked of real amps.

might have to let you ear adjust, do lots of recording, A/B comparisons, get opinions etc. In the end you will like what you like, but certainly have seen lots of people who use modellers for years snub real guitar tones as they just got used to hearing a certain something.

yes i totally agree with this.it took me a good few weeks till my ears were used to the Kemper after years of modellers,now i think the Kemper sound is fantastic and if i go back and listen to old gsp1101,gt10,amplitube,guitar rig etc etc patches they really dont sound in the same league as what i am getting now for recording.however i am no tube amp only purist and i will use any profile that sounds great regardless of its source.

• ...modelers?

I know its a bit weird, but I'm a long time modeling fanatic. Some of the Sansamp and VG-99 stuff out there has actually piqued my curiosity and I'm excited to try them. Also had a revelation this morning that I can now profile Peavey's Revalver and bring it where ever I want. I my first profile of my goto dirty patch on the GSP1101 and it was an eye opening experience, so incredibly close to the original its scary. The Kemper allows me to create a "best of" modeler and real worlds profiles and bring them to the gig. Very cool!

For me the reason to buy the KPA and Axe was to get as close to a good tube amp sound as possible, having owned most modelers build over the years, i never got used their sound.. :) I can't stand the sound of most modelers, only models I like are the female ones.. :)

Well, I still play real amps actually. In fact, had a recording session over the weekend running a VHT Special 6 with a T-Rex Yellow Drive and Zoom G3 for effects. Went wonderfully well. I've got a tech 21 Tradmark 60 as well which I fire up every now and then. The majority of my playing happens late at night and as such requires headphones, but I know what amps sound and feel like. My issue thing for years with modeling, and even with a great many Kemper profiles, is that it seems more often than not things are close miced. I typically do not like that sound. Even when tracking with a real amp, the mic is never on the grill. I like some air/space in the tone, not drenched in verb or delay, just some natural ambiance and most definitely a bit off axis.

I've found some fantastic free profiles already, but honestly for me its been like a 1 in 10 (or even more) experience so far. My curiosity about profiles of modelers is just that, curiosity. I mean, always wanted to try an ADA MP1, and now I kinda have the opportunity. That said, I'll likely end up putting up some dough for a few of the $ profiles as well as a few of the clips I've heard have been pretty nice and beyond most of what I've heard to date of the free and factory provided profiles (Armin's '57 Deluxe and and44's Evil Robot are pretty high on the list).