Speaker Distortion

• Hi Christoph

After using both torpedo and fractal stuff prior to my beloved Kemper one thing i'm missing is..speaker distortion.
    It would be great to have this in the cabinet section.
    Though people tend to either love or hate speaker distortion - i consider it an important factor in a loud overdriven amp sim/profile.
    In my experience there's an amazing resonance achieved when the output valves are cranked and when cabinet speakers are beginning to be slightly overdriven too.
    It would be nice feature to dial in more or less of this in a parameter.

JJ

• I think he'd like a new parameter wich might interact with the cone distortion.
    Anyway i think that this kind of parameter might work better with some static stuff like IR's which are never distorted on their own.
    In this case we profile the whole (included a specific cone distortion), so Kemper should develop a kinda of artificial distortion stage, with a final result which might be unrealistic in the end.
    By the way it's a good idea, since some profiles might benefit.

• I agree that the "cone distortion" is a parameter related to the power section. I clearly remember a post by Jay Mitchell (on the Fractal or TGP forum) stating that an actual cone distortion is very unpleasant and definitely not musical. Basically, nothing of what we appreciate as "cone distortion" is actually so. :|

• There is two separate effect:
    Cone distortion and cone breakup.

Cone distortion is for sure not appreciable, while cone breakup is sometthing intended.
    It makes the cone resonate at certain frequencies when driven by high levels, deepening the character of the sound.

You can modify this effect with Cabinet Character to your liking.
    What are the parameters in the Torpedo and AFX?

• I don't know about the latest updates - but the Axe and Torpedo used to have Speaker distortion - but I don need these parameters :D

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Thanks Chris
    yes- im talking about cone breakup. the resonance this creates is something overlooked/dismissed by many people
    In revalver /torpedo and fractal its called crunch and overload-(forgotton what its called in the fractal)
    I didnt know that the Kempers 'cabinet character' also brings in cone breakup. Thanks for the tip

There is two separate effect:
    Cone distortion and cone breakup.

Cone distortion is for sure not appreciable, while cone breakup is sometthing intended.
    It makes the cone resonate at certain frequencies when driven by high levels, deepening the character of the sound.

You can modify this effect with Cabinet Character to your liking.
    What are the parameters in the Torpedo and AFX?

• The Character parameter does not bring up the cone breakup, but soften or enhance it.
    The cone breakup is present in every profile, captured from the original speaker.

The only amp I know handling the cone breakup is the Eleven, probably solely in the software version.
    The other amps you are mentioning only control speaker distortion, as seen in the manual.

Edited once, last by ckemper ().