Kemper TS seems gainy...

• Is it just me, or does the TS model in the Kemper seem very gainy even with the gain at 0. I read where tone at 0 (noon) actually represents maxed out tone on an actual TS pedal, but with the gain full left it still sounds like a TS with the gain up very high. I'm on 1.5 (haven't installed 1.51 yet). Anyone else experiencing this?

• Do you have any other stomp (Comp?) in front of the TS? If yes, check the volume of it.

Edit: BTW, you can use the Comp in front and lower the volume (of the comp) to reduce the signal that is hitting the TS...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Do you have any other stomp (Comp?) in front of the TS? If yes, check the volume of it.

Edit: BTW, you can use the Comp in front and lower the volume (of the comp) to reduce the signal that is hitting the TS...

I tested it with a clean profile. I'm sure its user error if you guys aren't experiencing it. Unfortunately, I'm color blind (color deficient to be exact) so trying to set input gain levels based on led colors is something which I just can't do. In fact, to date I've steered clear of devices relaying on LED color change indicators for that reason.

• Sorry, Will, didn't knowd it. Actually it could be a feature request: a graphic meter on the input and on the output menu pages... you're by sure not the only one with this problem.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Sorry, Will, didn't knowd it. Actually it could be a feature request: a graphic meter on the input and on the output menu pages... you're by sure not the only one with this problem.

Not a big deal, I presume for those who can see the full range of colors, the metering is sufficient. I would prefer CK and crew focus on other features than building graphical metering for me and a small portion of other users. Its not like the unit is digitally clipping or anything. I'll try some experimentation with the clean/distortion sense tonight and see if that clears it up. Honestly, I might not even use any modeled stomps due to having such great clean and dirty profiles, I was just experimenting a bit and felt the TS had way too much gain even when dialed all the way back.

• where did you have the volume parameter?
    maybe you were hitting the following profile too hard. not sure if the Green Scream's output is a 1:1 representation of what the TS circuit is able to deliver, or if CK chose to give the user a higher maximum level boost, which could result in the rig sounding gainy-er than expected.

• It's definitely stiffer feeling and has more upper midrange than a TS; I really wish we could put profiled stomp boxes in the stomp section because of this. I'd be fine using the modelled TS live, but in the studio I need to have my OD808 running for the best results.

• Honestly, guys. I experimented quite a bit. Not ruling out user error maybe my input levels or messed up, but could someone just give me a simple yes or no to whether they are experiencing the same. Load up a clean profile, load up the TS. Is it gainy at default settings, like a real TS just about maxed out? Lower the gain down, even almost all the way off. A real TS would not really impart any breakup at this point unless the volume is dimed and forcing the amp input to overdrive. Still getting significant dirt? With the gain low, lower the volume. Does it clean up or does the distorted sound just get quieter? Thanks fella!

• Honestly, guys. I experimented quite a bit. Not ruling out user error maybe my input levels or messed up, but could someone just give me a simple yes or no to whether they are experiencing the same. Load up a clean profile, load up the TS. Is it gainy at default settings, like a real TS just about maxed out? Lower the gain down, even almost all the way off. A real TS would not really impart any breakup at this point unless the volume is dimed and forcing the amp input to overdrive. Still getting significant dirt? With the gain low, lower the volume. Does it clean up or does the distorted sound just get quieter? Thanks fella!

I don't have a real TS to compare but the behaviour of the TS model in my KPA is the same you describe.

• try dialing the tone back to around 10 o clock. the stock tone at 12 is giving you extra bite

I've got a TS9 and several TS clones. Is there anyone who has the real deal to compare? Like I said earlier, not ruling out user error yet, but on first audition it doesn't appear that the Kemper models the behavior of a TS's controls very accurately. Again, not really sure it even matters much as the quality of dirty tones has been more than sufficient. Just getting to know the unit and trying stuff out. In my use of modelers, I try to emulate a real life rig end to end: a single amp and all the effects I would use. Shifting to more of a preset mindset is more than fine, just looking for others experiences...

• The KPA TS9 is not bad for a simulation - but I prefer the real one too - yes, I found the same that the more 'soft' settings work not this great - to just boost e.g. a Marshall does the inbuilt one work fine. (That was the reason why I created some profiles with overdrive boxes).

As you own my profiles - check the Overdrive pack - there is my real (old made in Japan) TS9 included.
    You can compare with the inbuilt one.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• I've got a TS9 and several TS clones. Is there anyone who has the real deal to compare?

I have a TS808 reissue which is exactely the device CK modelled. You are right, the knobs are calibrated differently but I could find a setup the was almost spot on to my original. I could still hear a slight difference but I didn't mind too much. Having said that I still use my pedal board with the Kemper because I don't like the treble-booster of the Kemper that much and prefer my BSM RM. I used to have a Maxon OD808 as well and that sounded vastly different to either the TS or the Kemper model.

When it comes to the effects in the Kemper I think the delay, reverb and modulation effects are a much stronger point than the distortion stomps. In fact I think they are top class. They sound much better than my pedals. I never turned my Phase 45 and 90 on again after checking out the Kemper phaser. And don't get me started about the chorus, that one reminds me of old Boss pedals or even the Dimension D (Dim C in pedal form).

But the distortion-algorithms of the stomp sections could really be improved I think.

• I have a TS808 reissue which is exactely the device CK modelled. You are right, the knobs are calibrated differently but I could find a setup the was almost spot on to my original. I could still hear a slight difference but I didn't mind too much. Having said that I still use my pedal board with the Kemper because I don't like the treble-booster of the Kemper that much and prefer my BSM RM. I used to have a Maxon OD808 as well and that sounded vastly different to either the TS or the Kemper model.

When it comes to the effects in the Kemper I think the delay, reverb and modulation effects are a much stronger point than the distortion stomps. In fact I think they are top class. They sound much better than my pedals. I never turned my Phase 45 and 90 on again after checking out the Kemper phaser. And don't get me started about the chorus, that one reminds me of old Boss pedals or even the Dimension D (Dim C in pedal form).

But the distortion-algorithms of the stomp sections could really be improved I think.

Yeah, I wasn't looking for it to sound exactly the same. I've several TS style boxes and the TS9 and they all sound slightly different, its was just the controls didn't really seem correct. Thanks! I agree the effects are generally very good. I like the modulation (especially chorus) in my GSP1101 a little better (more a taste thing than a quality thing) and also the way I get control over wow and flutter independently in the tape delay model (as well as a few other things here and there) but overall the Kemper is a fantastic piece of gear.

• Honestly, guys. I experimented quite a bit. Not ruling out user error maybe my input levels or messed up, but could someone just give me a simple yes or no to whether they are experiencing the same. Load up a clean profile, load up the TS. Is it gainy at default settings, like a real TS just about maxed out? Lower the gain down, even almost all the way off. A real TS would not really impart any breakup at this point unless the volume is dimed and forcing the amp input to overdrive. Still getting significant dirt?

like already mentioned, the lowest possible amount of clipping depends on a lot of things: the 'family' (TS9 or 808) the series (TS9, 10, 7, 5, 'clones' etc.), the opamp used, the value/tolerance of the drive pot and the resistor next to the it...
    basically every TS-like pedal sounds and behaves a little bit different.

With the gain low, lower the volume. Does it clean up or does the distorted sound just get quieter? Thanks fella!

I just played the Vab Clean profile with a Green Scream in front, set like this:

Drive 0
    Tone -2,5
    Volume 0

and I found the result to be very pleasing and what I would expect from a good Screamer in 'boost mode' in front of a good tube amp.

• The Green Scream is modeled after a TS808 reissue.
    Sound and gain are exactly the same.
    I found it odd in the past, when people compared it with TS clones and stated the sound was not right.