Buying Profiles; and44 and armin

• I am looking forward to the Kemper more and more everyday and have been listening to samples from the Amp Factory and Soundside and will be buying from the Amp Factory. Reason? and44 has been gracious enough to share free files on the Amp Factory website as well as here. Armin, why don't you do the same?

I love going to the grocery store and trying out that free sausage on a pretzel stick (keep it clean), let's me know what I have been missing and if I want to purchase more from that company. Don't get me wrong Armin, I have read only glowing reviews from others about your profiles, but I think some free profiles would only sweeten the deal for you.

And44, looking forward to hearing the samples from pack 3! Everything you have done sounds amazing!

Is it because light travels faster than sound that you appear to bright until you strum a chord?

• I just want to drop a little message about Amp Factory since I just picked some up.

I have had my Kemper for a few months now and it is amazing! I thought it couldn't be any more awesome until yesterday when I decided to buy about 13 profiles from Amp Factory. Upon playing them...HOLY CRAP!! They are simply incredible and they have made me all the more excited for purchasing a Kemper. I tell you I NEVER got tones like these out of my Axe FxII. I have so many incredible goto tones now thats its hard to choose which are my favorites. I will be buying more and I cant wait to hear the previews for Amp pack 3. Even though I couldnt hear any previews yet I was confident in them so I picked up some of those as well and as expected they were great! I also picked up the free samples from Amp Factory, lots of goodies there as well! I am primarily a metal player and I think I read there may be a metal pack coming soon! That would be killer!

I still have alot to learn regarding my Kemper, like how to tweak profiles, change cabs etc but I am one happy guitarist! Kemper is hands down the best guitar related product I have ever had!

• Yes, I see .... but ;)

My profile sets work different.

If I would make a few profiles available for free - it would not help IMHO

Why?

Look, I use mainly my Koch Studiotone with my band and live (that amp is very versatile and not to heavy to carry).

I use mainly 3 sounds: clean, soft crunch, lead.

So I would need to create 3 profiles - done?

Yes, but - this would work for MY style and MY guitar e.g. a Strat - if I would use a LesPauls it would sound like S...
    The cleans would be to dark, the soft crunch tones would distort a lot and the lead would sound like a rectifier ;)

What is the solution for the real amp?
    I change the drive and tone settings for each of my guitars.

So, yes I could create 3 profiles for my Strat and 3 profiles for my LesPauls - but...
    I own 3 Strats - and all sound very different - there are so many different LesPauls - some with P90's, other use PAF's, others burstbuckers...
    What if I want to use my Tele or JEM?

So - more or less needs each of my guitars 3 different profiles for clean, soft crunch and lead - and even then may your guitar sound bad.

That's why some hyped profiles - which sounds great in some demo files - sounds poor with your or my guitar.

So what is my solution?

I have created more then 20 profiles of the Koch Studiotone - with different settings - and now I find MY tone for each of MY guitars.
    I would need more than 1000 profiles per amp in case I would profile all possible combinations - but thanks God - the KPA has some controls itself.

And I am sure ALL Kemper users will find great 'Studiotone' sounds for their guitars, style and taste.

After this is done these 3 profiles can be stored as favorites - and all is fine.

btw. this is also the reason why I need so much time to create a profile pack - and ask for some bucks - for my way I need this MANY profiles.

But then you have more or less the COMPLETE amp in your KPA.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

Edited 2 times, last by Armin ().

• I guess that begs the question "why take a chance if your profiles may not sound good with my guitar?" I find it hard to believe that there is not a profile that would sound good on a Fender,LP,Tele, or even a $99 harmony. Regardless, thanks for answering my question. :thumbup:

Is it because light travels faster than sound that you appear to bright until you strum a chord?

• Yes, you are right, there are profiles which sound bad for most guitars and some which sound ok for a lot of guitars.
    And yes, why should you buy profiles which would not work for your guitar.

but ... (again ;) )

I guess half of the Studiotone profiles (to stay with this example) will sound bad for each of your guitars and the other half may sound ok - some will sound killer.

The same is true for each 'real' amp as well - a lot of vintage Fender amps will sound bad with a JEM or other high gain guitars - regardless of the settings.
    On the other hand a Rectifier and a Strat may not give you the killer high gain sound you want.

I could give you a profile of the Studiotone - but the chance that you don't like it is great - if you own ALL of the profiles I am sure you'll find some great tones.

If the real amp would sound great for your guitar - the profiles will also - since you get all options.
    If the real amp and your guitar will not sound great - the profiles won't also - you may find some decent tones because you can tweak the profiles with the KPA - but that's another story.

My profiles work like this:
    1) Find the profile which sounds as close as possible to the sound your are after
    2) Use the KPA knobs to fine adjust
    3) Enjoy

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Edited 2 times, last by Armin ().

• Also thank you Guitarmanjac, enjoyed reading your affinity for the Kemper and the Amp Factory profiles. I was saving for an AXE FX2 and was wanting one, but not badly because I was not looking forward to tweaking and also I find Cliffs' replies to users unsavory. Yet, it was about the search for a plethora of great tones and I was trying to overlook those caveats. All of a sudden the Kemper was all over Youtube and I didn't think it was anywhere near completion, as I read about the concept awhile ago and questioned its ability. Well after hearing sounds from users and the Amp Factory I was sold! Your review further sweetens the deal! :thumbup:

• Armin, thanks for your input. As I like the idea of aquiring new amps for free or for little to nothing in the reality of real world amp costs, I'm quite sure I will be trying your profiles in the future (have to get the damn KPA first lol) I was just wondering why you wouldn't give the kids free samples to get hooked on your gateway tones so to speak.

• I have all of Andy's packs, and they are all pretty much amazing. Of course there are some profiles which really pop out to me more than others, as to be expected, but the quality is definitely worth the investment in my opinion.

• Armin, thanks for your input. As I like the idea of aquiring new amps for free or for little to nothing in the reality of real world amp costs, I'm quite sure I will be trying your profiles in the future (have to get the damn KPA first lol) I was just wondering why you wouldn't give the kids free samples to get hooked on your gateway tones so to speak.

I guess that begs the question "why take a chance if your profiles may
    not sound good with my guitar?" I find it hard to believe that there is
    not a profile that would sound good on a Fender,LP,Tele, or even a $99
    harmony.

Excuse me if I chime in, but it seems to me you're missing some points in Armin's producing/selling strategy: when you buy a profile, you actually buy tenths of tone combinations: the amp has practically been profiled in any possible "sweet spots", and you get them all. That's why Armin is asking "which profile (among them) should I make available for free?". So it's exactly the other way round with respect to what you seem to suggest (unless it's me the one missing something of course :rolleyes:).

Please note I'm not judging the quality or playability of those profiles, nor comparing them to Andy's ones. It just seemed to me these was some point "lost in conversation" :D

• I completely understand what he is saying. I respect that, but in my silly mind I would assume that most serious players (people that expect more from tone than what Line 6 offers) and are willing to buy something for $2K would most likely have more than one guitar in their arsenal, also if the Kemper acts and sounds like a real amp, I highly doubt it will make a Fender whether it is strat or tele,LP or really any guitar sound less than desirible;especially with the easy tweaking abilities described. Andy is not just putting 2 or three free profiles to try out to show his hard work, he is providing dozens and dozens.
    I make custom hunting knives as a side business and over the years most of my business has come from providing free knives to benefits. It has never failed that I would get dozens of calls for orders after having donated a knife for a good cause. Keep in mind this is just in a small town, Kemper on the other hand is hitting the worldwide guitar market. I just see it as a win win for both parties.

• Armin,

I look forward to trying some of your profiles out also. Could you please give me a little more information as to what amps and effects are included in your acoustic package? Thank you.

• I completely understand what he is saying. I respect that, but in my silly mind I would assume that most serious players (people that expect more from tone than what Line 6 offers) and are willing to buy something for $2K would most likely have more than one guitar in their arsenal, also if the Kemper acts and sounds like a real amp, I highly doubt it will make a Fender whether it is strat or tele,LP or really any guitar sound less than desirible;especially with the easy tweaking abilities described.

Mhhh... well, when I change guitar on one of my amps I always tweak tonestack and gain stages according to the instrument I'm going to use. My settings always end up being quite different from instrument to instrument. So, for me, using the settings I like for a strato with - say - the guitar you see in my avatar would actually be less than desirable.
    As for KPA's tweaking abilities, consider that its tonestack is generic, i.e. it doesn't react like the original amp (this is not necessarily bad); so, if you want your profile to mimic the original amp, Armin's strategy makes definitely sense.

Also note that Armin (*) Andy is perfectly aware of this himself, since he provides three profiles for each amp to at least suit three guitar "families".

On the whole, it seems to me Armin's approach is certainly the most versatile.

Again, my judgement doesn't imply anything else than what I've explicitly written :)

(*) Edit: I meant Andy, sorry.

Edited 2 times, last by viabcroce ().

• Armin,

I look forward to trying some of your profiles out also. Could you please give me a little more information as to what amps and effects are included in your acoustic package? Thank you.

In case you ask about my Pack01 - there are no amps at all involved - these are body resonances form some acoustic instruments (IR's) converted into KPA profiles.

My Pack18 is a Marshall Acoustic Amp, model AS50R Soloist.
    This amp is for acoustic guitars (works also for clean electric guitars - but is NO acoustic simulator).

Basically there are two controls (beside the effects): Bass and Treble - and you get all these profiles:

MarsA B07 T09
    MarsA B07 T12
    MarsA B07 T15
    MarsA B07 T17

MarsA B09 T09
    MarsA B09 T12
    MarsA B09 T15
    MarsA B09 T17

MarsA B12 T09
    MarsA B12 T12
    MarsA B12 T15
    MarsA B12 T17

MarsA B15 T09
    MarsA B15 T12
    MarsA B15 T15
    MarsA B15 T17

MarsA B17 T09
    MarsA B17 T12
    MarsA B17 T15
    MarsA B17 T17

So all combinations of Bass (B) and Treble (T) are available.

• Ok, my last input on this subject. Provide one great clean amp with all the profiles that would ensure we see how wonderful they are even if it is one or two profiles outta 20 for that ONE amp, do the same with a dirtier amp. That is two amps out of how many that he has up for sale? I think that would give a good indication? Also, pardon my skeptism, but when I listen to Andy play and then to Armin, if that his playing; I would dare to say one sounds much more advanced than the other and would lead me to believe that they know good tone and capturing it as well. Peace out!

• A bit rude and off the lines, IMHO. Criticizing the playing skills of a fellow musician is not classy....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Andy has a pro player doing this demos - I do all myself - and my goal is only to demo the sounds.

I personally hate sound demos of guitar wizards - then buying gear - and later find out that it was the playing not the sound.

Some users create great songs with my profiles (and can play much better than I):
    demo1

demo2

I am sure there are more available - but can't find them now.
    (I plan to add a page with 'user demos' in the next time - if anybody has some great songs - please send me a PM)

Edited once, last by Armin ().

• Dude, I think electricnemesis is completely out of line in judgings AND44 playing. Not cool...

USMC7312

MY GEAR:
    Taylor T5 Koa, Taylor SBS1, Fender Select Koa Telecaster | PRS SE 50 w/ 2x12 Cab | Kemper Profiling Amp | 2x Tannoy 601a Monitors

• I appologize, I didn't mean to suggest it as bad in any way.In fact it is better than my skills. Also didn't know a guru did those videos, sorry. And I am interested in buying from both. Sorry I have a tendency to speak exactly what I'm thinking.

• I appologize, I didn't mean to suggest it as bad in any way.In fact it is better than my skills. Also didn't know a guru did those videos, sorry. And I am interested in buying from both. Sorry I have a tendency to speak exactly what I'm thinking.

These things happen. It's a common problem when only the written text is present. Human communication involves so much more.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Have to say that Andys way of presenting and selling his profiles makes me feel more comfortable than Armins way. I had the chance to try some od Andys profiles for free to get a indication what quality I will get when buying, then I been buying. Without the chance of trying one or some of Armins (or any other commercial sellers) profiles (I did refuse the offer of someone getting the profiles for free - btw, is that outlawed?) on a legal way I will not take the step and spend money for these.

When buying software you can try demos before, and when buying hardware, you got a money back warranty as ruled by german "Fernabgabegesetz". But what is a profile? ;)

Would be nice and a much better way having the chance of checking out profiles from commercial sellers for free, before buying a pig in a poke. :D