Kemper with Marshall 9100 in stereo for live use ??

• Hi, Just joined the forum as I have serious GAS about getting a Kemper. I'm hoping to try one out later this week.

I currently use a Rocktron Prophesy 2 into a Marshall 9100 which drives 2 marshall 2x12's for my live sound. I've also got an eventide timefactor in the stereo effects loop.

So my current thought is sell the rocktron, and buy a Kemper...

My question for you guys is...... can I go from the main outs of the Kemper direct to the Marshall 9100 with the Cab sims switched off ? As I really want to keep the stereo setup....

I'm not bothered about going direct to the PA I'd prefer to mic the cabs with my trusty SM57's.

Thanks alot.

Mike :thumbup:

• Off course you can. But I would also give it a try running the monitor out with cab off to the amplifier (you could use the Timefactor to get it in stereo) and the full signal in stereo from the main outs to FOH. You're going to get a HUGE sound....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I'd prefer to mic the cabs with my trusty SM57's.

Hi Mike, welcome :)

You see, the main purpose of a tool like the KPA is to mimic the behaviour of a complete rig, including cabs and mic'ing. IOW, all the sonic elements of a rig are kept and perfectly reproduced... Wouldn't it be a waste of resources and logistics to mic the cabs driven by the KPA? Unless I'm missing something here, you can find profiles where your same mic has been used and/or create some by yourself...

• hi
    personally i think if you purchase a kemper for this sole purpose your going to be dissapointed, i've tried the kemper live in several formats and direct to p.a and monitors is the only way to go. i too have a 9100 and the kemper does'nt sound so good through a valve power amp and cabinet ( with or without the cab sims).
    i am not knocking the kemper, it's still the best peice of gear i have ever purchased.
    i think there is a specific reason kemper have'nt designed the power amp for it yet!.

Brian Thesnail

• Thanks for the replys guys. Still have GAS for the Kemper, although I'm not so sure now if it's not going to sound good through my set up, it would be great for the studio though, but i was hoping to replace my rocktron Prophesy 2 with the kemper in my live set up. I really don't want to have to shell out for new cabs and power amp. the Rocktron sounds great through the Marshall with cab sims off.

I did goto my local music shop to try one out but they were less than helpfull... they asked me how I wanted to set it up.... I said via a tube power amp, or the fx return of a valve combo.... they said "headphones might be better !" and presented me a set ! :thumbdown:

It sounded amazing through the headphones... but I still don't know if I can use this live....

Certainly won't be buying the Kemper from them !

• Just ordered a black one from Andertons !! :thumbup: got the padded bag half price too !

Looking forward to hooking it up and seeing what it does....

I figure with my set up the profiles will still sound great after some tweaking...even if they don't sound exactly like the originals.

• So the Kemper arrved... updated firmware, downloaded some rigs from the exchange (thanks guys !)

First impressions.... sounds awesome through my tannoy active reveals...

Got it hooked up to my Marshall 9100 and cabs yesterday... a few short tweeks of the eq knobs and the stock sounds are amazing... blows my rocktron Prophesy 2 away.. clean and distorted sounds.

I know I'm not getting the most accurate sounds of the profiled amps... but I'm getting the best sound I've ever had with this thing and that has to be the main objective right ?

Just need to figure out the Wah settings, and finish programming my all access and I'm ready to rock !

Looking forward to the dedicated foot controller though.