"Camplifier" - Poweramps for the KPA

• Looks really nice. A few questions:

1. Does it have a fan? How hot does it get? I understand it's cold in the northern hemisphere right now, but I live in Brazil and these days it's not uncommon for the temperature to reach 35 Celsius. Is there any danger of damaging either the amp or the KPA because of it getting too hot?

2. Is it possible to have some sort of adapter installed so it runs with just one power cord?

3. This one's just a suggestion, why don't you connect it with short cables using amphenol L plugs and retake the pictures? IMHO it would look nice and that way the user would only have to remove one of them if he/she wanted to profile something, otherwise they could just stay put.

• Hi Deny,

1. Does it have a fan? How hot does it get? I understand it's cold in
    the northern hemisphere right now, but I live in Brazil and these days
    it's not uncommon for the temperature to reach 35 Celsius. Is there any
    danger of damaging either the amp or the KPA because of it getting too
    hot?

It does have a fan. The fan actually is not there for cooling the amplifier but to make sure some exchange of air between the amplifiers housing and the outside world takes place. The fan would generate 29dB if it would run at full speed - which it does not. To my ears, it is almost not audible.
    At full load the air inside the amplifiers housing gets approximately 5°C warmer than the outside world. In your case this might be 40°C or so.
    There is no danger of damaging the KPA with this temperature. The Camplifier itself is temperature protected - so no danger for this one too.

"2. Is it possible to have some sort of adapter installed so it runs with just one power cord?"

Yes.

3. This one's just a suggestion, why don't you
    connect it with short cables using amphenol L plugs and retake the
    pictures? IMHO it would look nice and that way the user would only have
    to remove one of them if he/she wanted to profile something, otherwise
    they could just stay put.

Sorry, but I do not understand that suggestion. I asked Marco "Gitarrenschlumpf" if he does, since he is the KPA expert , but he does not either.
    Could you please explain that to us a little bit ?

Tilman

• Thanks for the reply and sorry if my last question (suggestion) was a bit confusing. I just noticed you used two short 1/4" cables with *straight* plugs to connect the Kemper outs to the amp inputs. Just thought "L" plugs would look neater, also if you made those cables shorter so they run closer to the back of the Kemper their footprint for transportation would be negligible so the user wouldn't even have to remove them so often.

• Thanks for the reply and sorry if my last question (suggestion) was a bit confusing. I just noticed you used two short 1/4" cables with *straight* plugs to connect the Kemper outs to the amp inputs. Just thought "L" plugs would look neater, also if you made those cables shorter so they run closer to the back of the Kemper their footprint for transportation would be negligible so the user wouldn't even have to remove them so often.

Not trying to be a dick here, but I don't think the Camplifier comes with the speaker cables, so you can just get one with L-shaped jacks (I agree they're nicer). In fact I don't know a single amplifier or poweramp that comes with speaker cables?

I think, he´s talking about the cables from kpa-out to camplifier-in.

Exactly :)

Not trying to be a dick here, but I don't think the Camplifier comes with the speaker cables, so you can just get one with L-shaped jacks (I agree they're nicer). In fact I don't know a single amplifier or poweramp that comes with speaker cables?

I was just suggesting that it would look nicer like that in the product picture ;)

• I was looking into your Power Amps and just had a general question:

I use vintage Marshall Cabs that are 100 Watts each, how do I not blow them up using these Power amps that are all rated way above that cabinet rating?

Is the safety net strictly the KPA's Volume Control? Or is it that because the Marshall cabs are 16 ohms the amp rating drops to 90 watts per side?

Please excuse my ignorance I come from the old school tube amp world use a 50 watt head @ 16 ohms into a 16 ohm 100 watt cab... So I am little concerned about ruining vintage speakers. That being said I would like to use the Kemper in a live setup.

Thanks

• Hi,

it is true that the rated rms power output will be reduced to 90Wrms if the speaker impedance is 16ohms.
    I do not see a danger here for your 100W vintage cabs.

On the other hand : The Camplifier 360 is rated 2x180Wrms@ 8 ohms and this is a huge amount of power compared to standard tube stuff.
    Great care must be taken if a standard guitar cabinet is connected to it and the speakers cabinet power rating is bellow 180W.

We have customers running 40W Celestion Greenbacks on the Camplifier 360 without a problem. Certainly they will never run the Camplifier at full power.
    They use the KPAs volume control and dial in the volume they need and the sound pressure level they are accustomed to from using their gear before they started to use the Camplifier.

Sincerely,

Tilman

• Camplifier-video is online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p2emrsM-Ic

Nice!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p2emrsM-Ic
    [YOUTUBE]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/YOUTUBE]

• Hi,

there seem to be a little confusion about the availability of the Camplifier product line.
    I can understand that and I will try to sort this out a little here:

The Camplifier 360 is ready for shipping since end of 2012 and it still is.

The crux is : It can be installed into about 50% of all existing KPAs only.

The reason for this is that the clear height of the back chamber sheet metal cut out varies very much from one KPA batch to another.
    This is NOT depended on the KPAs color. There are white KPAs with a suitable clear height and black ones too.

At the moment, the Camplifier 360 will fit into KPAs with a back chamber height of 75mm and greater (see picture).

If you got one of those KPAs, you can purchase and install the Camplifier 360 immediately.

Ok, all of this is boring and confusing. We know that.
    That is why we re-designed the Camplifiers to fit into ALL KPAs known to men.

Those re-designed Camplifiers (360, 290 and 180) will be available middle of February.
    Nobody will have to worry about those dimensions again.

At least this is what we hope. Maybe Mr. Kemper decides to change the sheet metal design of the KPA again.
    Please cross fingers with us. :rolleyes:

Tilman

[Blocked Image: http://www.ritteramps.de/ausschnittkpa.jpg]
    The height of this particular KPA is to low (only 71mm) for the current Camplifier 360 but it will be OK for the re-designed Camplifier 180,290 and 360 which will be available middle of February.

• Thanks Tilman,

I was hoping for something like this. I was wondering: what if a KPA gets broken and the user is going to be given a brand new one, and it doesn't allow for his\her brand new Camplifier to fit anymore? 8|

I had not posted my thoughts before because I did not want to seem aggressive towards you guys, but this was a big concern for me.

Luckily, the issue is not going to exist any longer ^^

We just uploaded some pictures on the Camplifier 360 page where you can see your recommendation with the short "L" plug cables come true.

http://www.kpa-solutions.com/camplifier/camplifier-360/

The KPA now fits easily into the gig bag with the signal cables from the KPA to the Camplifier still in place.
    There is even less work and trouble left for the lazy musician before and after the show. 8)

Thank you Sir! :thumbup:

Tilman

• Tilman, re: the connections picture: you cannot defeat the cab simulation on the direct out unless you do it from the front panel, at that point you can use the main outs.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Tilman, re: the connections picture: you cannot defeat the cab simulation on the direct out unless you do it from the front panel, at that point you can use the main outs.

I thought the cab em couldnt be turned of on the direct out, but Tilman told me it can now due to an update. Must say i havent used this output yet so i wouldnt know :S