internal tube screamer sound awful

• Sorry ... But I think that a private communication, in this case, not the best solution, since these difficulties can experience not only the initiator of the conversation. I for example ... ?( :)

• Hi Artembankin,

fully understand your problems with the Green Scream. I mentioned it here over half a year ago but not many seemed to agree with me. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Kemper but the Green Scream is only usable in the softest setting and even then it is too heavy handed. To me the Attack Part of it with harder setting sounds more like a Boss HM-2 than a smooth tubescreamer. Just very harsh, flat and strangely seperated from the amp distortion, while a real tubescreamer in front or in the distortion loop of the Kemper adds glue and smoothness to the sound. I really hope for an overhaul...

Markus

• Capitancamparro
    HI
    i`m in love with kemper too, but green scream is big dissapointment for me)
    i hope ,CK and team will solve this problem in the future...
    I think this problem isn't serious ,in vst world we have bunch of many nearly as good screamers,,
    like Onkel ,,or bte audio ts,podfarm ts .
    my second dream is - to have xotic bb preamp pedal in the kemper )

• +1 ;)

• +1

Edited 2 times, last by glazsan ().

• Allright men and girls, my Maxon OD 808 has arrived.

I spend 10 minutes with it, and could recreate every setting with our internal Green Scream.
    The OD 808 is obviously a straight follower and approach to the original TS-808, the TS-808 reissue is obviously on the same track.
    There is hard to hear a difference, if you set it right.
    There is only one slight difference: When both Tones are set to minimum, the Green Scream still tends to be a bit brighter.
    This could even be component tolerances.
    I can change that, as it will widen the tone range of the Green Scream - not a bad thing.

Please bear in mind the following:

1. The original Tone knob is represented by the left half of the Green Scream's Tone knob only (-5.0 to 0.0). This should be obvious when you hear it. But we might change that in the future.
    2. The behaviour of our Volume knob is different than on the original, it depends even if the amp section is clean or distorting.
    3. The range of the drive knob is spot on!

If you seek to give your guitar a tighter character etc. it is wiser to use an equalizer to tune the tone than using a tube screamer, where you have nothing than a 1 pol lowpass filter on your hands.
    Bring a graphic eq to the stomp section and give your guitar a little boost here and a little cut there. Switch it on and of to hear the difference.

CK

Edited once, last by ckemper ().

• I was betting this would be the case. Considering less than $2 can change a TS9 to an 808, and the original TS808's were built by MAXON. This has less to do with the modeling and more to due the mindset shift when moving from the real to the virtual world. There is always the tendency to want things to work exactly as the do in reality. This is probably amplified by the very nature of the Kemper. But when working virtually, in many cases its best to throw conventional logic out the window and experiment with the tools on hand. Often the results can be matched, but the paths differ...

• Sorry, I fundamentally disagree. I have the OD808 and use it over the Green Scream in my profiles because I can hear a big difference. Are you using it to boost a clean amp into slight overdrive or to tighten up an already high-gain amp? When used infront of a high-gain amp there is quite a large difference, enough to not use the GS and to deal with extra cables/pedals/power supplies.

• i agree with JeffTD. i also use the green scream mostly with the drive very low and level around noon to boost/tighten a high-gain amp to obtain more punch.

i've posted this before and got the same reply from CK. i guess it really comes down to the application...

• There is always the tendency to want things to work exactly as the do in reality. This is probably amplified by the very nature of the Kemper. But when working virtually, in many cases its best to throw conventional logic out the window and experiment with the tools on hand. Often the results can be matched, but the paths differ...

Great TIP this one, I also think the same about it. To achieve great results, often it is better to try different path... also not conventional ... we should dedicate a thread on this topic, maybe with some examples in the TIPs area!!!

• i agree with JeffTD. i also use the green scream mostly with the drive very low and level around noon to boost/tighten a high-gain amp to obtain more punch.

i've posted this before and got the same reply from CK. i guess it really comes down to the application...

Send me a desired setting of the OD808 and a Rig (just the name, from the factory rigs maybe) that you cannot match with the Green Scream. I will do my best and post the required Green Scream settings.

• Send me a desired setting of the OD808 and a Rig (just the name, from the factory rigs maybe) that you cannot match with the Green Scream. I will do my best and post the required Green Scream settings.

What other product has this level of support? 8o

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Thanks for praising our support. But there is more companies out there with the same level of support.
    But I am missing a responce from you guys. It's been a few days since I have asked for TS settings that cannot be reproduced. The thread is dead since then.
    Has everybody solved their problems?

During that time we have tested various situations and could not find significant differences exept the one at the lowest Tone setting that I have mentioned.
    In contradiction of some have said, the sound and application of the Green Scream is not application-dependent.

• http://soundcloud.com/destroyka/soldano-real-screamer-off-on

this is same riff from first post with real custom ts808 screamer in front of kemper with same settings volume - 0,gain and tone min
    sorry , is night and day difference between real and model , model - sounds like broken wah )
    http://soundcloud.com/destroyka/only-screamers

modelled first and real after - and someone tell me about EXACT sound ?

Sorry, I have overlooked this post.
    Of course both recordings sound radically different.
    I can easily create that exact "broken wah" sound by increasing the Tone control on the Green Scream or even on the original OD808.

It is absolutely obvious that the Tone on your Green Scream is not at the minimum position, but much higher. The minimum position is at -5.0.
    Have you ever tried to tweak this knob and listened to the results?

• nope - my tone on green scream is -5 in this test
    lowest possible settings...

and if i set tone on my real screamer at 12 o`clock or more - anyway it sound much more smoother than with greeen scream, - cut lows , sharpens attack but no resonance broken wah effect even hardest tone settings.
    with lowest tone settings ... huge difference....
    and first time when I heard Gs and played thru it - my first thought was - "may be it`s a digital (firmware) bug ?
    because i have some pretty good VST freeware modelled screamers on my pc - Onkel, bte audio, podfarm ,
    and i have good screamer on my line6 pod hd500...too
    they sound`s slightly different but fully comparable with my real screamers....
    but green scream sounds very,very strange ....harsh and unnatural -

tomorrow i make test with only screamers with amp and without)
    with vst ,real and green scream with various settings - lowest , - 12 and maximum tone
    and post a photo (screenshots )