Understanding Clean Sense & Distortion Sense Settings.

• Can you store a input setting for every guitar you have so you only have to do it once for all your guitars/pickups and then just recall the input when you use that guitar with a certain profile?

Everyday the KPA amazes me more! Thank you for this very helpful tip!!!

This is also in the manual, same pages. Marked as an extra tip. :(

• I don't know what to say anymore Is anybody reading the manual?

Hi CK,
    Don't get disheartened with us Guitarists - we are the reason the term ' RTFM ' was coined.
    Most of us are fairy devolved creatures who still get confused and alarmed by the gift of fire.
    Imagine what the KPA does to us with all its shiny shiny...

Community members seen discussing distortion sense yesterday:
    [Blocked Image: http://d18qjg80b1mkbg.cloudfront.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/caveman.jpg]

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• Hi CK,
    Don't get disheartened with us Guitarists - we are the reason the term ' RTFM ' was coined.
    Most of us are fairy devolved creatures who still get confused and alarmed by the gift of fire.
    Imagine what the KPA does to us with all its shiny shiny...

Community members seen discussing distortion sense yesterday:
    [Blocked Image: http://d18qjg80b1mkbg.cloudfront.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/caveman.jpg]

8o

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Well, yes.
    But it seems that some people seem to critizise us for not documenting things well, but don't read the manual.

I can really save a few thousand bugs by not printing a manual, that is only read by a minority.
    Three weeks with family in a five star hotel and more!

• I can see how that would be frustrating. Me - I read everything from cover to cover. For the first 5 weeks after I got my unit even the actual box it came in was essential toilet reading. One of man's great pleasures is toilet reading. I can honestly say that everything worthwhile I ever learnt from a book was done on the toilet.

Too much with the sharing? :whistling:

BTW, CK - Take that hotel holiday - you've earned it! And when you get there moan about a high pitched noise you can 'hear' in your room's air conditioning - it'll make you feel good. 8)

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

Edited once, last by Brattcave ().

• This is also in the manual, same pages. Marked as an extra tip. :(

The sad part is that i have read it and the wiki, but its to much information for me to hold apparently for my limited brain. :(

But i don't really appreciate your tone afterwards, maybe you do need a holiday!

I'l promise i will consult the manual three times before asking here if this bothers you to much. (sigh)

• The sad part is that i have read it and the wiki, but its to much information for me to hold apparently for my limited brain. :(

But i don't really appreciate your tone afterwards, maybe you do need a holiday!

I'l promise i will consult the manual three times before asking here if this bothers you to much. (sigh)

I also have read the manuals and wiKPA a few times and feel the same way. Maybe I need KPA For Dummy's ;(
    Please don't assume all us of know and understand even the very basics. The problem is when someone says "Read the manual" or "It's in the manual", it makes me feel stupid and afraid to ask questions. Personally, I have a fear of digital devices. I'm always afraid I'm going to screw something up.

• I also have read the manuals and wiKPA a few times and feel the same way. Maybe I need KPA For Dummy's ;(
    Please don't assume all of know and understand even the very basics. The problem is when someone says "Read the manual" or "It's in the manual", it makes me feel stupid and afraid to ask questions. Personally, I have a fear of digital devices. I'm always afraid I'm going to screw something up.

Spot on mate. Maybe there is a Quick Button on the KPR that says Reset Ego........?

• Hi Resonator. What specifically are you having trouble with? It's possible you're over thinking this clean & distortion sense lark. Give us some specific questions and I'm sure someone here will be able to help you out. Don't fear the toaster... Although I wouldn't stare directly at it...or feed it after midnight. :)

• I'm sorry but I still don't get it. Yes I've read the manual, and after reading CK's explanation about the distortion sense, that one is ok and out of the way. But the clean sense still puzzles me. I guess my question is, why does it affect only clean tones? Now keep in mind that I always store the input settings with each rig, I never keep the input section locked because I build specific rigs for specific guitars. So if I'm working on a high gain rig, you're basically saying that it doesn't matter where clean sense is at, is that it? I can leave it at 0 or 10 (with the input led glowing constantly red) and it doesn't make any difference, is that correct?

Boy, this is really weird and confusing. Is that offer of a technical explanation still on? I'm a bit on the geeky side and am a little frustrated that I can't get the concept behind the clean sense control through my thick skull. Please? I have a reasonable understanding of audio and DSP so no need to go easy on the technical jargon.

• I'm sorry but I still don't get it. Yes I've read the manual, and after reading CK's explanation about the distortion sense, that one is ok and out of the way. But the clean sense still puzzles me. I guess my question is, why does it affect only clean tones? Now keep in mind that I always store the input settings with each rig, I never keep the input section locked because I build specific rigs for specific guitars. So if I'm working on a high gain rig, you're basically saying that it doesn't matter where clean sense is at, is that it? I can leave it at 0 or 10 (with the input led glowing constantly red) and it doesn't make any difference, is that correct?

Boy, this is really weird and confusing. Is that offer of a technical explanation still on? I'm a bit on the geeky side and am a little frustrated that I can't get the concept behind the clean sense control through my thick skull. Please? I have a reasonable understanding of audio and DSP so no need to go easy on the technical jargon.

I've got some DSP background so I think about it like this. And if I'm wrong, a correction upside the head is welcome, and invited.

1) "Clean Sense" = pre-ADC analog input trim. Adjust this until the Input LED is nice strong green with minimal reddish peaks for your current guitar and pickup. Unlike a real amp, don't expect this to change your tone - the KPA probably scales the pre-ADC gain changes back post-ADC so everything remains the same distortion-wise. Hence, "Clean Sense" is strictly a gain-normalization control to help you get the best non-ADC-clipping signal-to-noise ratio from your pickups.

2) "Distortion Sense" is a multiplier to the Gain knob setting for all your patches. Unlike a typical modeling amp, it's not like a post-ADC gain control (i.e, you can't push a clean amp into grittiness by cranking "Distortion Sense"). But, you can make amps with non-clean Gain settings dirtier (or a bit less dirty). Assuming you have two guitars that are equally loud but one still sounds less crunchy, correct for that globally using the Distortion Sense knob.

My model of theoretical understanding may or may not be correct, but it seems to fit reality so that's how I've Stopped Worrying And Learned To Love The Bomb.

-djh

• Hi Resonator. What specifically are you having trouble with? It's possible you're over thinking this clean & distortion sense lark. Give us some specific questions and I'm sure someone here will be able to help you out. Don't fear the toaster... Although I wouldn't stare directly at it...or feed it after midnight. :)

At the moment, I'm only playing an American Deluxe Strat with the N3's. I thought if I set the Clean Sense on lower gain rigs to match the volume level of higher gain rigs, I could set the Master Volume so as I Browse through the different rigs, the volume would be the same for low and high gain rigs. But, I'm still getting different volume levels when Browsing.

• I could set the Master Volume so as I Browse through the different rigs, the volume would be the same for low and high gain rigs. But, I'm still getting different volume levels when Browsing.

Use the Volume knob for this purpose. That's the one below the Master Volume. The Volume knob's values are stored in the rig. So it is ideal to balance out the level of different rigs.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• So if I'm working on a high gain rig, you're basically saying that it doesn't matter where clean sense is at, is that it? I can leave it at 0 or 10 (with the input led glowing constantly red) and it doesn't make any difference, is that correct?

You never want the input LED glowing red, as that will give you digital clipping, which isn't pretty.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• At the moment, I'm only playing an American Deluxe Strat with the N3's.

I'm using the same guitar ! A tobacco ash deluxe, lovely necks on these models. You get things sorted? Plenty of good advice given already it seems.
    If it's any use I've got my clean sens set to 3 and dist sens at 1. There was a thread recently where people were posting their various settings entitled: 'What kind of PU do you use?' As mentioned - as long as your not clipping the input with the clean sens it shouldn't have much bearing on dirty amps. Just keep experimenting - if you make a backup before you start you can always restore things later. Have fun...

• I'm using the same guitar ! A tobacco ash deluxe, lovely necks on these models. You get things sorted? Plenty of good advice given already it seems.
    If it's any use I've got my clean sens set to 3 and dist sens at 1. There was a thread recently where people were posting their various settings entitled: 'What kind of PU do you use?' As mentioned - as long as your not clipping the input with the clean sens it shouldn't have much bearing on dirty amps. Just keep experimenting - if you make a backup before you start you can always restore things later. Have fun...

My American Deluxe Start is also an Ash model in Tobacco with a Rosewood Fret Board. I had actually settled on 3 with Clean Sense, but I have the Dist Sense on 0.

• For gods sake, set the distortion to zero and adjust the clean to a level that equates to distorted levels without hitting red. If that does not appease you nothing will, stop over analysing things. Enough said.

Sorry just had a fight with the Mrs :love:

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• For gods sake, set the distortion to zero and adjust the clean to a level that equates to distorted levels without hitting red. If that does not appease you nothing will, stop over analysing things. Enough said.

Sorry just had a fight with the Mrs :love:

Coincidence...I was just about to say the same thing. :D

• Use the Volume knob for this purpose. That's the one below the Master Volume. The Volume knob's values are stored in the rig. So it is ideal to balance out the level of different rigs.

No, he was right.
    Don't use the volume knob at first place.

The level between rigs will never be balanced perfectly.
    Use the volume knob later for small adjustments.