With Which power amp system are you using your KPA ?

• my setup:

KPA > Monitor out (cab off) > Mesa Boogie 50/50 > 2 rocktron S112 CABs
    KPA > spdif out > Apollo Duo > M audio 5xa and a MA120 'the box'

My apollo is hooked up to a samson C control.

During the day i can pump volume through my cabs (and this thing goes loud!) and afterwards i can switch to my monitors or headphone.

Very happy with my setup although my monitors could be better, but i have spend that budget on my kpa :)

• I'm still looking for some kind of solution at this point....

What I am considering:

EV ELV112P

or

some kind of poweramp ART SLA or other....
    Bogner 212CB cab

or

hold out to see what Kemper brings to the table at Namm this year.

Right now....what I need to do is rent a simple setup with the amp/cab and try that out first to see if I even like it. I"m in the philosopy of thinking that the cab sims should be what I am hearing on stage as well hence why I am still leaning to the EV solution.

Only way to know will be to try it out.

• Has anyone tried a Crown XLS 1000? They are fairly reasonable price wise and have plenty of wattage. I was thinking of trying one out.

• The first, important question here is: do you need the "feeling" of having a guitaramp behind you or are you ok with just frontside monitoring what your audience is hearing. This decision makes big differences in weight and size and price of your setup.

The ideal, traveller friendly, solution would be : KPA Main Out to FOH and monitoring it through the usual wedges of the PA. A better way even would mean to send a second signal from KPA Monitor Out to the mixing console that is routed not to FOH but only to the monitor-mix. That way you can apply better EQing to your monitor than many sound engineers can with their console.

But the big downside of this is the very often really poor sound of many monitor wedges. So I am taking a small AER compact as a front-monitor. A monitor that stands in front of you needs much less power to make a good sound. So the AER is only 6Kg and really loud enough for this combination. The sound is a bit mid-focussed but still quite ok.

Roland CM30 Cube Monitor might be a cheap alternative.

But - hey - when the KPA fails, then the shit hits the fan. ?(

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

Edited once, last by fretboardminer ().

• You have three options:

1) Behind you

2) in front of you, and low, like a monitor

3) To the side of you. If you put it there, it can be up by your ears, if you like.

Whether I am using my Marshall Silver Jubilee and 4x12, or a digital rig through my Bose L1, I always put it to the side of me, and point across the stage, not out toward the audience. Sound engineers love this, and my guitar is always in the Mains.

I really like the Bose L1 with one subwoofer. The amplifier has so much power, it responds very much like a guitar amplifier, and "feels" great.