what kind of PU do you use?

• 1) Single Coil Alnico V's by Fender. My VIntage Tele has them, and my Strat has them as SD SSL-1's. Blues and Rock. Sound like a SC should sound like.

2) P90's from MusicMan. Called MM90's. Crunch and BadAssed.

3) TV Jones. Classic and Super'Tron.

4) HB's like SD Jazz and HB

That said, 5) would really be my bass pickups: Rick 4003.

I do have Piezo (iMix) for my acoustic, but I only use it partially in a mix to bring some finger sounds into the mix with a Condenser for bright and Ribbon for warmth.

Edited once, last by db9091 ().

• Imo the KPA is the perfect machine for single-coils in clean and crunch mode. I play most Fender N3, DiMarzio Areas, Fender P90, Bill Lawrence ScN, Parker Stinger and Squier V Alnicos with the KPA.
    For humbuckers in every mode from clean-jazzy to roughest metal I prefer the Axe FX - for me this machine is unbeaten when using humbuckers - but same is the KPA for single-coil (and stacked sc pu's).

• Imo the KPA is the perfect machine for single-coils in clean and crunch mode. I play most Fender N3, DiMarzio Areas, Fender P90, Bill Lawrence ScN, Parker Stinger and Squier V Alnicos with the KPA.
    For humbuckers in every mode from clean-jazzy to roughest metal I prefer the Axe FX - for me this machine is unbeaten when using humbuckers - but same is the KPA for single-coil (and stacked sc pu's).

ever heard of Keith Merrow? :D

• ever heard of Keith Merrow? :D

Yeah, Don, I did. Not sure if I'm getting the point of your question: Undoubtable the KPA is the King in profiling - of course also in profiling the Axe FX - like KM did for instance. But for example try to build up a metal sound from the ground, take those Liquifire/Crunchlabs PUs and shoot it thru the AXE and thru the KPA: You won't beat the Axe in that trial - but of course you can profile the result perfectly with the KPA.
    :D

Or play a heavy lead guitar to a couple of Mesas on the Axe with four 4x12 cabinets - you won't tell me really the KPA is still at the same level?
    I'm doing studio work since nearly 30 years now and played quite a bunch of preamps (ADA, TC, H&K, Zoom, Vox, Marshall, KPA, Axe ...) with nearly every type of pick up (except Gretsch).
    Therefore I found my rule of thumb:
    Clean/Crunch: >>> KPA
    Distortion/Heavy: >>> Axe
    Jazzies >>> try both and take the best
    ... and your recordings will be fine! :thumbup:

• Yeah, Don, I did. Not sure if I'm getting the point of your question: Undoubtable the KPA is the King in profiling - of course also in profiling the Axe FX - like KM did for instance.

actually, he profiles his amps, not the Axe.

But for example try to build up a metal sound from the ground, take those Liquifire/Crunchlabs PUs and shoot it thru the AXE and thru the KPA: You won't beat the Axe in that trial

I disagree. use a decent higain profile, some knowledge about EQ and bingo.

Or play a heavy lead guitar to a couple of Mesas on the Axe with four 4x12 cabinets - you won't tell me really the KPA is still at the same level?

not sure what your motivation is here. this thread is titled 'what kind of PU do you use?'

I'm doing studio work since nearly 30 years now and played quite a bunch of preamps (ADA, TC, H&K, Zoom, Vox, Marshall, KPA, Axe ...) with nearly every type of pick up (except Gretsch).
    Therefore I found my rule of thumb:
    Clean/Crunch: >>> KPA
    Distortion/Heavy: >>> Axe
    Jazzies >>> try both and take the best
    ... and your recordings will be fine! :thumbup:

while you are of course entitled to have your rule of thumb I merely pointed out, that many big names in the industry disagree and are happily using the Profiler for HiGain stuff.

btw. this thread serves as a knowledge base, no discussion wanted or needed. keep this in mind before replying, please.

• Acknowledged.
    But sometimes it seems to me you guys at Kemper's have got something like an Axe-phobia?! :sleeping:
    But sorry - from my side no discussion here anymore ...

• I play metal all day almost every day on my Kemper. With humbuckers.. sounds glorious. Basically you are totally wrong.
    I only use Amp profiles because the AxeFX ones sound poopy. I prefer Ola's Cabs with Marshall JMP type profiles. I also use a TC Electronic Booster/Line driver occasionally into the front of the KPA. I get the MOST brutal sounds ever.

It seems to me like you should spend more time with the Kemper.

• But sometimes it seems to me you guys at Kemper's have got something like an Axe-phobia?!

not at all. why should we? :D
    however, If you feel the need to post what you did, I feel entitled to point out that your somewhat broad generalization contradicts what many high profile industry professionals think.
    and a lot of other users. ;)

• I at first thought the KPA shined with my single coils.

But recently been playing with my 57's and other patches are shining. Just amazing.

I wish there were a librarian so I could tag and sort profiles by pickup! The recently posted metal rigs on the Support page are the best I've heard profiled on the KPA or elsewhere. Wow!

• Mainly SC at the moment, japan strat, with Fender amp profiles.
    That's because I'm still learning to use the KPA and discovering his sonic possibilities.

Sooner or later I think I'll set up a separate bunch of rigs for my HB-powered 175 and 335, and get my dear Polytone profiled, once I'll figure out how to do it correctly... :)

• For me I think humbuckers sound best on kemper. EMG 81/85 combo works awesome for me...and I've only just started using them. Peavey, Jem555, Tele and Prs player here.

• 2004 Gibson Les Paul Custom Reissue '68 ... 2 x Gibson 57 Classic Humbuckers
    • 2012 Fender Stratocaster American Standard ... 3 x Fender Custom Shop Fat 50s
    • 2008 Parker Fly Mojo LTD Summer Edition ... Seymour Duncan Jazz & JB + Fishman Piezo
    • 1963 Hofner 175 ... 3 x Hofner 511 'Staple' humbuckers

These Hofner 511 humbuckers sound absolutely amazing. Such a beautiful fat and snotty treat to my ears. :D

• I haven't even had time to try all my guitars (or my bass either) through my KPA, but they're all equipped with humbuckers. My main 7-string that I've been using has got a calibrated set of Bare Knuckle ceramic Warpigs and it sounds amazing, both with higain and clean profiles. The KPA is made for humbuckers (and singelcoils too if that's what is prefered). :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD