Getting the in the room sound...in headphones.

• ?( confused

when you dial the "headphone amp in the room" sound in - do you still use that profile for recordings?
    I am having a hard time understanding how adjusting a profile to make it sound good on your headphones would not interfere significantly with the sound on my studio monitors (for recordings).
    For now I have adjusted profiles to my guitar monitor (L6 Stage source) or studio monitors (kh 120), depending on the intended use (playing/recording) and simply accepted (more or less) how it sounded through my headphones.

What am I missing here?

90% of the game is half-mental.

• An Audio Technica pair, can't remember the model. I think they were around $70. Nothing too fancy. They were a huge upgrade over my Sennheiser HD 280 Pros though...

Been looking to replace my HD 280 Pros - thanks for the advice.

• ?( confused

when you dial the "headphone amp in the room" sound in - do you still use that profile for recordings?
    I am having a hard time understanding how adjusting a profile to make it sound good on your headphones would not interfere significantly with the sound on my studio monitors (for recordings).
    For now I have adjusted profiles to my guitar monitor (L6 Stage source) or studio monitors (kh 120), depending on the intended use (playing/recording) and simply accepted (more or less) how it sounded through my headphones.

What am I missing here?

Do you want the sound of an amp in a room (ie distant miced) in your recordings or not. If so, the technique above works. Here's a demo, the intro employs the "room" trick.

https://soundcloud.com/willchen28/kemper-soundside-52-deluxe

• ?( confused

What am I missing here?

I think this would be more for demo'ing "dry" rhythm tones by themselves, in acticipation of how they will sound live, not recorded.

For recording I find I like my rhythm tracks to have a very mild touch of reverb. But if you double-track and pan L/R then you also get that stereo widening "space" effect which makes the reverb less important. And with a full mix, it's not usual that you're listening through headphones and think, man that rhythm guitar track sounds too dry but switch to speakers and then you don't.

Another point - a touch of reverb goes a long way when using headphones, but for speakers in a room, it's difficult to tell whether that mild reverb is on or off. Try it - set everything up in headphones, and use a lower mix, then change to speakers and toggle the verb on/off - is it really hurting the tone being there?

• An Audio Technica pair, can't remember the model. I think they were around $70. Nothing too fancy. They were a huge upgrade over my Sennheiser HD 280 Pros though...

I would need it to see your frequency response graph.

Before I bought the Kemper, I had Bose AE2 headphones which I liked a lot but found them to be harsh with hi gain profiles.
    I tried 6 or 7 other headphones until I settled for the Philips Fidelio M1 which I found perfect (though much less comfortable than the Bose)

Now by looking at their frequency response graph, you understand why the Bose were harsh in the high end compared to the Philips:

Bose AE2:

[Blocked Image: http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/test/71/7101/bose-ae2i-frequency-response.jpg]

Philips Fidelio M1:

[Blocked Image: http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/test/69/6923/Fidelio-M1-frequency-response.jpg]