What best audio interface for home recording with kemper ???

• Hello guys, i hope you can help me with this puzzle :)

So i have an M-audio fast track that i use to record my guitar with the kemper, would i get a better recording quality if i have an audiointerface like RME Babyface ? if so, is it so noticeable that it would justify the investment ?

Pardon me from my lack of knowledge :thumbup:

• setting up your signal path is no easy task.
    basically, the weakest link determines the overall outcom - this means you'll have to plan ahead when upgrading your home studio step by step.
    to me, the most vital part is the monitoring. with decent (truthful) monitors, you can judge all other variables much more objectively.

• Maybe, but unless as Don stated, the other end is not up to it you may not notice it.

Having said that unless you have money to burn you gotta start somewhere and the babyface is a quality piece of kit.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• Thanks the reply guys!
    For monotoring i use Adam A7 that i really like, the waekest link is the M audio. But upgrading from M audio fast track to Baby face would be a big diference or i stilll would have to think bigger in terms price for an audio interface ?

• If you are going in via spdif then there is 0 difference between any interfaces (sound quality wise).

Both are digital signals that bypass the AD converters so it makes no difference.

If you are going in via an analog signal then it will make a bit of a difference, but probably not a massively noticeable one. Since IIRC the Fasttrack does only has a line and a XLR input, Im guessing you are going in the line in. In this case, an interface upgrade would be a good investment. Just dont hope for it to be some magic bullet and suddenly all your mixes are gravy!

• Im using analog signal in the fast track but it also have spdif in and out. I never try spdif recording because of some firmwear prob in this regard (noise), is it solve by now ?

• Hi guys! Just curious... Both the Motu Track 16 and the RME Babyface have the optical S/PDIF (Toslink) connections while the KPA uses the coax (chinch) connections. Are you guys using some converters to get around this limitation?

I got my KPA yesterday and was really disappointed to find the coax S/PDIF connections (Babyface user here). I know, I should have checked before buying, but it just slipped under my radar :)

Also, does anyone know why the decision to go for the coax S/PDIF on the KPA since it seems to me that most audio interfaces these days use the optical S/PDIF. Especially the "project studio", "lone musician ( :) ) " interfaces.

• I was bummed too and I never tried S/PDIF because of that. I still have not ordered an adapter, RCA/Optical.

• So no one answered what the best solution on dealing with the Babyface optical S/PDIF to coax S/PDIF?

USMC7312

MY GEAR:
    Taylor T5 Koa, Taylor SBS1, Fender Select Koa Telecaster | PRS SE 50 w/ 2x12 Cab | Kemper Profiling Amp | 2x Tannoy 601a Monitors

• :thumbup: I think i will go this way too. My m audio has weak converters and latency :thumbdown:

Do you know this for sure, I have an m-audio fast track pro.. will the sound be affected with an expensive or newer sound card... asking because I would like to also know if I need a newer one.. ive heard sound samples form the kemper and very cheap sound cards and the 2 that were compared sounded exactly the same..

steve :cursing:

Leg em down and yackem smackem

• I had an Apogee Duet 2 and it was a nice interface until a year later when it went microphonic on me. Several others have complained about this as well. This wouldn't be the first time that an Apogee product has gone south on me, either. It was my last time buying anything from them. My previous Duet firewire had a malfunction as well that was a manufacturing defect also. Their customer service is great, no question but their products are not the best.

I tried an RME Babyface and it was very nice as well. However, I just didn't like that you only have a couple of rowed LEDs that really aren't all that well conceived to monitor your ins, outs and phones. Considering what you are paying for that unit, I think a better visual representation should have been included. That being said, the interface had great sound and lots of nice features. I didn't particularly like the mixer section for it that runs on your computer.

Last week I purchased a MOTU track 16 and I was so hoping that it was going to be a great unit that it shows to be. I must have gotten a dud because basically, we got inputs running through it but no output. I didn't want to wait to order another one so I simply returned it. What I heard through the headphones was decent enough but nothing spectacular. The computer mixer feature is quite nice on the unit and it has a very nice visual monitoring section.

In any case, I finally picked up what I feel is an absolutely amazing interface and it just works beautifully right out of the box and has a great monitoring section as well. When I returned the MOTU unit, the store had a new Focusrite Forte in stock. Haven't looked back since. The only thing that is missing from it is the SPDIF. For some of course that is a deal breaker. For me, it wasn't at all. I listened to the sound quality of the unit and it is actually better sounding than the RME Babyface that I had. To say the least, I'm really happy with this unit. The preamps on it are fantastic, clear and defined.

• it's great that men have many choices....