Only ONE Guitar?

• I broke and just fixed the link. So, no, not answered. The Satin guitar or the Maple Flame? There can be ONLY ONE!! ;)

Here's how I'd look at it. Will one gain value in the future, and the other one not? If that's the case, then go with the good investment. If not, then I'd keep the cheaper of the two and sell the most valuable - to buy more gear! 8o:whistling:

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• :) At the moment I'd go with my Suhr Guthrie Govan sig in Bengal burst. Lovely guitar that sounds great with the humbuckers or split coil. Looks stunning and plays just as well. Next week it could well be something else though !!!

Just one?? Seriously?!

• :) At the moment I'd go with my Suhr Guthrie Govan sig in Bengal burst. Lovely guitar that sounds great with the humbuckers or split coil. Looks stunning and plays just as well. Next week it could well be something else though !!!

Just one?? Seriously?!

Good choice! Suhr designed this guitar for Guthrie exactly for this purpose: Bringing on the plane just one guitar that does it all!

• Good choice! Suhr designed this guitar for Guthrie exactly for this purpose: Bringing on the plane just one guitar that does it all!

My Charvel Guthrie Govan almost fits the bill. Just wish it had the coil tap on the neck humbucker, like the Suhr.

• I broke and just fixed the link. So, no, not answered. The Satin guitar or the Maple Flame? There can be ONLY ONE!! ;)

Ha ha ha.

Fellas, I thought the Guthrie model simply brought together a specific bunch of options that the Maestro wanted - in effect, just another custom Suhr, so to speak. I know, you're thinking, "but what about the blower switch?". The wholesaler here in Aus told me that this, at least in the past, had already been implemented on some guitars.

As for the fact that I used the words "just" and "Suhr" in the same sentence, well, I'll go and give myself a thoroughly-deserved flogging right now! :D

• The thing I love about GG's guitars is that the middle position isn't your usual middle-pickup-single-coil-strat-type sound, but actually bypasses that middle single coil and instead combines the outer coils of the humbuckers in parallel, giving a tele-like middle position sound. I've never liked that neither-fish-nor-fowl strat middle sound, but love the telecaster middle position. For me, it means that I don't need to take a tele to shows that I play with my old band anymore (I very rarely use the bridge on a tele and the neck pickup can be approximated with a strat-type guitar).

ps Yes, you're right Nicky, Suhr had blower switches previous to GG. I'm not suhr they had that tele switching, though (see what I did there? ;) )

• Ha ha, yeah brother Sam.

I think the Modern Pros in the HSH configuration split the 'buckers and combine them with the SC in both the 2nd and 4th selector positions, which I think is what you're talking about.

Also, said models' (plural, 'cause it includes the Modern Satin) employ a rip-roaring SC for the middle position. I can't recall the model, but it sounds way different from the split 'buckers, and adds to the versatility of the guitars.

• No, I mean that the middle position (3) of GG's guitars engage the outer coils of the humbuckers, NOT the single coil pickup in the middle, as is otherwise customary. Positions 2 and 4 work as you describe, though, as I believe all HSH Suhrs do as standard.

• Wow, so how does he Jean-Luc Picard the middle, SC PU, or isn't there one on his model?

I seem to remember seeing that old low-quality vid on PooToob where he described this functionality you speak of at a clinic to promote the GG model. You'd remember the vid for sure. He said something about said position's ability to capture both meat and fairy dust (my terms, of course) at the same time, which makes sense. Some low-end SC neck grunt with a little bridge-SC sparkle.

• There is one, but it's only used for the position 2 and 4 "in between" strat sounds. Suits me, sir!

Like I said, in position 3, the outer coils of the humbuckers are wired in parallel, giving that tele flavour. It's not bang-on authentic, but it's close enough for jazz (or 70's inspired rock, in my case).

• Does anyone have experiences with the PRS-Models, which claim to do it all?
    Like the 408 or even the 513?
    Although the 513 doesn't look so great in my opinion. The pickups's looks are just not my cup of tea.
    The sound of them on the other hand, at least what I can judge via the YouTubes, seems to be very versatile.

• Does anyone have experiences with the PRS-Models, which claim to do it all?
    Like the 408 or even the 513?
    Although the 513 doesn't look so great in my opinion. The pickups's looks are just not my cup of tea.
    The sound of them on the other hand, at least what I can judge via the YouTubes, seems to be very versatile.

I find both the 408 and the 513 to be very sterile....some would say modern. I really wanted to like them, but in the end just don't.

• I find both the 408 and the 513 to be very sterile....some would say modern. I really wanted to like them, but in the end just don't.

Sterile is for some reason a term that gets thrown around a lot when talking about PRS guitars. "Modern" is a good term - for some of their guitars, at least.
    Some people love them, but some don't.
    Of the two, I'd go with the 408. I have the Brent Mason signature myself.

However, I think that versatility in and of itself is not a worthy goal :-).

• There is one, but it's only used for the position 2 and 4 "in between" strat sounds. Suits me, sir!

Like I said, in position 3, the outer coils of the humbuckers are wired in parallel, giving that tele flavour. It's not bang-on authentic, but it's close enough for jazz (or 70's inspired rock, in my case).

Hmm... I like the sound of that too. Not a huge fan of middle SC on its own, although Fingers is so I try to respect the concept; the PU needs to be good 'though.

Personally, I'm with you Sam, and kinda wish my guitars worked that way too.