Monitor Output doesn't mute cab

• I have Mod Mono coming out of the Monitor output of the Kemper into the return of a Mark IV. Sounds great without cab sim. I have version 1.5 and in the output section i have "Monitor Cab Off" checked.
    I still lets the cab simulation through. So far this is the second big error I have found on the Kemper. I have another thread about the other problem posted here.
    Anyway, is there a reset or maybe reload sys update 1.5? Or...

Thanks everybody

• What do you mean by 'lets cab simulation through'?
    Do you hear a difference entwesen cab on and off on Monitor Out?

Switching off the cab on Monitor out is not the same as switching the cab off in the rig itself which is maybe what you want to do.
    Switching off the cab on Monitor out will make the cabdriver function work.
    And indeed it's not an error but a feature that can not be estimated highly enough.

When I go into the return of ANY amp I own via KPA's monitor out it ALWAYS sounds better with cab off.

• hey ziggy's

i know exactly what you mean, kemper are telling us what it should sound like
    but users are hearing a totally different sound(fizzy, thin , distant...!). there still are not any videos
    of how the cabdriver supposed to sound through guitar amp and cabinet
    perhaps kemper would oblige?

Brian Thesnail

• ...kemper are telling us what it should sound like
    but users are hearing a totally different sound(fizzy, thin , distant...!). there still are not any videos
    of how the cabdriver supposed to sound through guitar amp and cabinet
    perhaps kemper would oblige?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NFGzxD3OJI

In this video you see a cheap Fender Mustang III fed by a KPA with cabdriver. It's on par with the Atomic and the New Camper in it's own way and sounds awesome.

• ok cool video but both atomic and the fender mustange use broadband (full range) speakers they are not standard
    guitar cabinets ... next! i believe the atomic cabs even have tweeters !
    would have liked to have heard the kemper through the marshall 4x12 in the background. but we didnt because it sounds bad !

Brian Thesnail

Edited once, last by johnny1e ().

• Fender Mustang doesn't use a broadband speaker but a Celestion G12T-100, which is a normal guitar speaker, not very different from the G12T-75 that the Marshall cabinet in the background is equipped with.

So: Hearing is believing, my friend. :rolleyes:
    IMO the KPA driven Mustang sounds awesome in the vid.

• are you kidding dude ? the mustang is an ss modelling amp a 4x12 built for the mustang cost the third of the price of a cabinet with guitar speakers in them..... why is'nt every guitarist using them, we must be stupid. would still love to see a video with a marshall or messa 4x12 and a real guitar amp because i have them and the kemper does not sound right through them in comparison to the kemper through my studio monitors.(hearing is believing)

Brian Thesnail

• I have Mod Mono coming out of the Monitor output of the Kemper into the return of a Mark IV. Sounds great without cab sim. I have version 1.5 and in the output section i have "Monitor Cab Off" checked.
    I still lets the cab simulation through. So far this is the second big error I have found on the Kemper. I have another thread about the other problem posted here.
    Anyway, is there a reset or maybe reload sys update 1.5? Or...

Thanks everybody

Like stated before, this is a feature of the cabdriver. CK wanted to retain some the cab information when using the monitor out with a poweramp and a 4 x 12 while keeping the frequency spectrum balanced. The argument here was that otherwise, nearly every rig would sound more or less the same it you only had the pure preamp signal put out of the monitor out. Perhaps a concept where you would profile the preamp, the power amp and the cab+mic separately over individual inputs and outputs would have provided more universal routing options in the way that you could have chosen which sound components would have available on which outputs. However, the monitor out with the cabdriver is a nice concept that works pretty good. At least when i use a profile of my JVM and put the monitor out back into the power amp of the JVM the sound is nearly perfectly identical. Not 100%, but very close.

• please please! post video of kpa- jvm as power amp with 4x12 .. my kemper is unusable used in that exact format....

Brian Thesnail

• please please! post video of kpa- jvm as power amp with 4x12 .. my kemper is unusable used in that exact format....

I don´t have a decent cam that would capture the sound nicely, but perhaps i can make some audio comparison.

Maybe the reason that it´s not working working for you might be the Power amp section of your amp. Keep in mind, that the power amp sections of tube amp heads often dont sound as neutral as a 19" rack power amps will. While the preamp and the power amp section of a tube head together sound like they do, it´s very common that the pre and power amps individually sound very unbalanced compared to rack equipment. For example, it i plug the preamp of my JVM into the power amp of Peavy Valveking it sound totally dull and muffled. This is because the preamp ot the Peavey in fact is extremely bright sounding.

As the KPA will only see the "full picture" of the sound it perhaps just doens´t fit to your amp´s power section.

• are you kidding dude ? the mustang is an ss modelling amp a 4x12 built for the mustang cost the third of the price of a cabinet with guitar speakers in them..... why is'nt every guitarist using them, we must be stupid. would still love to see a video with a marshall or messa 4x12 and a real guitar amp because i have them and the kemper does not sound right through them in comparison to the kemper through my studio monitors.(hearing is believing)

No, i'm not kidding.
    Go to celestion.com and get information about the G12T-100 that's in the Mustang. It's a normal guitar speaker, nothing fancy or special for modelling.
    So you know I did the same routing with my Marshall 6101 (30 anniversary combo), which sports a Celestion Gold. it sounds nearly identical (i.e. very good).
    Will try with my 6100 + 4x12 as well. If I find the time I can make a short clip later this week.

• ok i'll leave it at that for now thanks for all your input...! i have tried the kemper through my jvm, 9100, valstate 80/80, crate power block, and a friends mosfet power amp, all to no avail..... don't fancy going on stage with a stack of fender mustangs so i guess the kpa will have to stay in my studio. it is an awsome bit of kit but i'm not yet ready to give up my conventional stage set up.
    thanks guy's

Brian Thesnail

• If you want to go that way you need to get a Camplifier, a Matrix or an Atomic head and use it to drive the 4x12. 80/80 valvestate and Crate powerblock are really.....well...bad, sorry (obviously my opinion). A mosfet power amp, if is a PA amp, could be everything from good to awfull depending on what it is. Marshalls poweramp are good for...Marshalls profiles, maybe, but keep in mind that you're going to loose the interaction between pre and power tubes (voltage).

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I have my KPA connected to my Mesa Boogy 50/50 through the monitor out going to 2 rocktron cabs.
    I put thecab of because i also have no idea how the new cab filter thing works.

But it sounds killer on this setup.

• yes it works well :)

took me a wile to find the button to put it off. (silly my was not looking at the soft buttons). And even when the cab is of i can still add more volume or change the parameters of the cab while it should be off and hear a big change in the output.
    But i suppose this is how the cabdriver works, it doesn't put it off completely and you still regain a bit of character of the profiled cab and as such you can still change some of the parameters.

All in all, the sound is super through my mesa or through my monitors. Al tho i really like the oomph from the real cab, its great to be able to play at decent levels through the monitors and still regain the crunch/drive/etc..