turning of the CAB and using IR's with the Kemper (both main out and MOn out)

• SO, this might have been up in soem other thread, but not that I coudl find with the Forum search function.

I've been thinking.. I knwo that you can turn of the CAB on both the main out and the MOnout
    (not sure if turning the main cab off, also disengages it globally?)
    and I have been using the MOn-out with CAB off to route to amp on stage live.

Now with the new update that states that the power-amp response will be retained when disengaging the CAB,
    shouldn't I be able to use any IR in Logic with the Kemper, and get the same results as would I if using a load box
    and a real amp head?

WOuld there be a difference here (due to the KPA software) if I did this setup with the main out or mon-out?
    I'm at work, so just thinking out loud here, since I can't actually try this idea out atm.

Has anyone tried this, and if so what are your thoughts and experiences in the matter?

• Why don't you just try it and let us know. There's no limit to what you can/can't do. Personally, the Kemper has ended any interest I previously had with impulse response cabinet processing for but of course YMMV.

• Why don't you just try it and let us know. There's no limit to what you can/can't do. Personally, the Kemper has ended any interest I previously had with impulse response cabinet processing for but of course YMMV.

Yeah, will try it definitely.
    I've also arranged for a guy I know to bring by an AXE FXII,
    and the plan then is to A/B to similar amps /model/profile,
    but first turn off the cab in the Kemper, and IR in Axe and have both
    going into Logic on separate channels but with the same IR.
    That should give a fair comparison of the actual "feel" and tone of the amp.

Then it'll be on to compare the Axe/kemper as a whole,
    should be a fun evening I bet =) :thumbup:
    Also definitely interested in hearing how well the Axe II deals with pedals
    as compared with the Kemper that I already know does it brilliantly

• The way I see it, with the KPA it's a paradigm shift and a totally different approach to realistic amp tones than the one with using IR's as cab sims.

The cab portion in the KPA is embedded in the profile and in a way tied to a profile in a much more complex and realistic way than it is possible with an IR cab sim.

Therefore I think setting up the KPA without using the cab portion like intended here will take out a lot of the mojo.

But of course it can be very educating nonetheless. :)

• A big +1000 for this.

Well, wasn't out of laziness I asked, but rather for wanting to take part of other members experiences and impressions of said setup.
    Seems like no-one has done this then (or have yet to reply)[/quote]

As others stated, when you only try to compare KPA cabs and classic IR's you can ear how more natural and rich from an harmonic point of view real profiled cabs sound.
    Probably that's because almost nobody tried this, while several people (including me) have tried to profile IR's with satisfying results, which are still far from the KPA richness.

• +1. Eliminating the cabinet portion and using an IR IMHO would result in a downgrade in the end sound, especially since you can adjust cabinet parameters which have a huge impact on the sound on the unit. The Kemper has ended any gas I had for a Fractal unit from the amp modeling perspective. If either is better than the other, I imagine its by a fractional margin which would vary and/or flip based on user tastes. Its the effects and internal routing which makes the AxeFX an appealing and unique unit at this point and in that area there still really isn't much competition (Sorry Kemper brothers! But perhaps by the time the KPA is fully mature, we'll have a competitive effects arsenal).

• Mhhh... I don't think you have to apologize for this Will!
    TBH, I doubt the KPA will ever compete against the Axe-Fx, and doubt as well that has ever been Kemper's intention.

As I wrote many times, I even think Kemper themselves have been surprised (and caught unprepared) by the market putting the two units against each other...

• I think its the cabinets that gives the Kemper its 3D full sound. IMO its something that has never been modeled right before and you can really hear this when you try a different effect processor or VST using .wav IRs. Nebula probably comes close or is better but I like having everything in one box at the click of a button.

• so, eventually got around to fiddling a bit with it.
    I took one of Ola Recto profiles, with a mesa recto cab with V30's and a SM57.
    Then I took a friend's recto IR's that he's made in his studio with an identical cab and SM57.
    The difference was pretty massive. To the better or worse? Well, mater of taste.
    In this clip everything is completely untweaked for comparisons sake, if I were to use IR's I would have dialed back the lows quite a bit.
    However, I do feel after playing around with it, I especially like some IR's for lead with OD pedals in front of the KPA.

I hear you about the "3D" quality of the KPA cab profiles, the IR's are definitely more compressed, but the amp "feel" is still there when playing the profile.

At any rate it's a good option to have in the home studio I think.
    Tomorrow another pal will visit with his FXII, will put them side by side and see how I feel,
    I'm especially interested in how differently the respond to OD pedals (since I make so many demos of these type of pedals).
    here's a short clip. KPA cab first, then my pals IR.
    http://www.richardlainegard.co…r_recto_impuls_kemper.mp3