S/PDIF out to DAW : Git signal way too hot?

• Hello people!

I have searched for an answer to this, but not sure I'm getting this right. I have my KPA's spdif output set to Git/Stack. The signal I am getting on the left in Reaper (as per the manual, the pure instrument) is way too hot and clips my DAW's input.

My interface does not have a level trim on the spdif input, so do I have to add a software volume reduction on the channel in the DAW?

Am I missing an ingredient here? As I understand it, there is no way to adjust the spdif output of the KPA, correct?

Cheers!

• Does it really clip on the Input of your soundcard or is it close to clipping?

technically from the output of the Kemper to the Input of you soundcard it should only clip if the Input in the Kemper is already clipping (red light in input-section)

• I just spent a few hours trying to figure out what is going on.

First, I realized after starting this thread that not all presets behave the same way. With some presets, the dry spdif signal is correct (strong signal with no clipping in daw) while some other preset will just clip almost at every note played. I checked the input signal in the KPA. For the presets that are too hot, lowering the clean sense to 0.0 will help, but still the clipping will occur on some heavy palm mutes.

One other thing I noticed is that it seems to be a setting saved in the Amplifier part of the preset. I turned off all stomps, effects, EQ and cabinet, leaving only the Amplifier on and the clipping is still there. On the other hand, turning on everything but the Amplifier resolves the clipping.

My goal is to setup the recipe for dual track recording: rig + DI tracks, so this way I'll have the option to reamp later on.

tenderboy: it really clips on the interface's (spdif) input. I checked the KPA's input to make sure I don't get the red led on the input. For this I need to lower the clean sense as mentioned above.

Thanks for your input guys.

Edit: I have not yet figured out how to lower the input gain on a given track in Reaper, besides setting a plugin to limit the gain, which is not the ideal solution.

• Hi:

Here is a thread that I opened a few weeks ago where this issue is discussed.

To ckemper

There is a bug with gift outputs. If you modify Gain Knob, the Git studio volume will be affected and also If you modify the volume level of some effect or stomp. That's why the gift output changes in different profiles, becouse they have diferent parameters. If you turn the knob gain down it won't clip on the interface's input, but you'll be monitoring without gain.

It was supposed to be solved in the last update, but the problem is still there. I hope it will be fixed as soon as possible because I use "gift/stack" a lot on my recordings.

I hope it helps....

• ivan91, thanks!

I didn't come across this particular thread, so thanks for pointing it out to me. I'll sure be expecting the fix with eagerness!

In the meantime, I'll sure give a try to your proposed work around. :thumbup:

Cheers