Profiling signal seems very hot...concerned about amp speaker.

• Hi all.

Finally decided to profile some of my amps. Very impressed with how close the profile gets to the actually amp.

One thing is bothering me though, the profiling signal seems to beat the heck out of my amp.

For example, I've just profiled a old silverface Princeton Reverb with the volume set at 4. The volume level while profiling is WAY louder than playing a guitar though it, to the point that I'm seriously concerned that it could damage the small 10inch speaker if I try to profile at a higher amp volume setting.

Also, at 4, it should probably be a clean profile, whereas the KPA tells me a distorted profile has been captured.

So is it normal for the profiling signal to really whack the amp hard? There doesn't seem any way to bring this signal down.

Thanks from Ottawa Canada

• Make shure that the Distortion Sense is at <0.0> when you do the profile.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• When profiling, you can specify IF it is a clean or distorted profile, select which one you want. If there is any amount of overdrive, I would select distorted.

Would be safe to operate at safer levels For sure, but I don't think I have heard of a blown up amp yet.... still probably best to use caution profiling at extreme levels that may damage your amp speaker.. The more power amp distortion you get anyway, I believe will not be as benificial in the profiling process..

• that does nothing for the level of the profiling signal

Are you shure?
    Did you try?
    What position is your Distortion Sense?

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Yup, sure. I checked and tried again, Distortion sense is zero...was +0.5
    Made no difference to o/p level....didn't really expect it to.
    Still said that it was a distorted amp...but less worried about that because the profile is ok.

I would say that the Princeton sounds about as loud as being set to 8 or 9 when it's being profiled and it's actually only set to 4.

Are you shure?
    Did you try?
    What position is your Distortion Sense?

• of course the Profiling tones are not what your guitar would produce, pretty harsh tones for sure. haha. I am willing to guess the dynamics of the signal soft then loud is what helps capture the dynamics of the amp. When profiling, you can select Clean or distortion, once you profile it in that setting, I don't believe you can change it after. So going through the steps, you should be able to designate what it is. And yeah, if you think its getting too loud, then back off, probably don't want to profile at extreme volume levels, more then your amp and speaker can take.

• Changing distortion sense has nothing to do with the levels of the profiling signals.

If you are of the opinion that you're about to profile a clean amp you can do the configuration in the KPA accordingly.
    If the profiler detects distortion though (sometimes distortion is not so obvious as we all know) it will continue profiling like it's a distorted amp, resulting in louder test signals.

It's all in the manual.

Concerning the loudness of the Princeton and the fear of damage:
    AFAIK not one amp has been damaged yet.
    If you can turn your amp to 10 (or 11 :) ) and like that sound you should be able to make a profile of it.

• Yeah, I didn't think the sense had anything at all to do with it really, and probably a distraction for the real reason for this thread.

>If you can turn your amp to 10 (or 11 :) ) and like that sound you should be able to make a profile of it

This is exactly what I would think, but quite honestly, given the volume that's coming out during profiling with the amp set at 4, I don't think I'm prepared to risk it.

The same problem with two other amps...just too loud for the volume setting.

It's not the neighbours I'm worried about either. During one profile with one of my amps set at normal gig volume (5 on gain and 5 on master) I could hear clipping from the amp that I've never heard before. It went away when I reduced the amp master volume a little.

• [Blocked Image: http://www.audiosemantics.de/FORUMS/his-masters-voice.png]

The Distortion Sense will affect the Direct out, too.
    You should set it to zero, when you run your reference amp for profiling.

www.audiosemantics.de

• Yes, profiling an old none master volumen amp is very loud.

I have profiled a lot of then - and one amp was blown.

I asked for a shorter time for phase 3 from the ufo sounds - but got no answer yet.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• This is one thing I do not like about the Kemper. It's not just the risk of blowing a speaker, it's that the amp will sound different with the hotter level going into it than it would with guitar going direct into it. My solution has been to use a little passive attenuator called 'The Pot' which allows you to dial down the volume and the tone in the same way as you do with your volume and tone pots on the guitar. I set it to about two thirds volume attenuation and one third tone reduction and that gives me the same sound as I get with my guitar going direct into the amp. The profiling signals are still loud but my speaker hasn't blown after numerous profiling sessions.

Vintage amp obsessive

• Hope it wasn't a vintage!!!
    Not going to risk it.

Yes, it was the Fender Deluxe from 1952 - the C's in the power supply section.

(The 3 big ones on the left)
    [Blocked Image: http://www.soundside.de/tmp/del52-6.jpg]

It looks now like this:
    [Blocked Image: http://www.soundside.de/tmp/del52-7-newc.jpg]

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

Edited 2 times, last by Armin ().

• My Blankenship Fat Boy Supreme With Sour Cream fried a resistor in the output stage, which also took out the 6L6's, when I attempted to profile it. I never knew if there was a defect prior to the profiling attempt, but I was afraid to try it again after Roy Blankenship fixed it. I since have sold the amp.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Since Firmware 1.5 we can take down the level of the Direct Out.
    Does anybody know if this is also possible in Profiling Mode?

www.audiosemantics.de

• Hm - that's strange, isn't it? I mean, every volume pedal patched in between could do the same but why is it not possible to reduce the level simply inside the KPA?

www.audiosemantics.de

• I can only assume that the level sent to the amp is required to properly characterise the amp.

ProfessorTweed...did you notice any differences in the profiles with different levels set by "the pot"

Hm - that's strange, isn't it? I mean, every volume pedal patched in between could do the same but why is it not possible to reduce the level simply inside the KPA?