Fudge...hanging up on start...

• It seem the same issue I had some last month. Not consecutive times, but I had to boot from USB stick after hanging on the start up. My KPA hang at the end of the boot process. The same happened to you?

The support give me immediately feedback on that but they were not able to reproduce the fault with my backup file. These problems to me happened 4-5 times at least for a week and then no more happened ?(

Really strange! Now I always bring the USB stick with me when I move with my KPA... It is the only workaround I found.

• Yep hang up on start, it's been my only issue with the K, last time I had to reboot the flash, but many times before it just magicaly fixed itself after leaving it alone. Trying telling that to a 010101 guy. :)

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• Had the red flashing screen of death last night as well. Sigh. if I have problems of power up tonight I'll try to boot from USB and then restore a backup. The Kemper is a great sounding unit for sure, but with the lack of some effects I need and now a stability issue (which I should add I've never had with any other multi-fx unit and I've owned darn near everything less expensive with the exception of the 11r) its relegated to bedroom usage only. Extremely, extremely disappointing...

Have you guys tried a flash memory format/init?

I did that last time which fixed the issue. However, IMHO a $2,000 should stable enough to not warrant multiple flash resets in less than 6 months of ownership? Do I want to risk a failed start and mess with booting from USB or formatting the flash in a live scenario? Kemper needs to address this ASAP as I guarantee its going to affect the perception of potential customers as there's now 2 threads of owners having stability issues.

• Had the red flashing screen of death last night as well. Sigh. if I have problems of power up tonight I'll try to boot from USB and then restore a backup. The Kemper is a great sounding unit for sure, but with the lack of some effects I need and now a stability issue (which I should add I've never had with any other multi-fx unit and I've owned darn near everything less expensive with the exception of the 11r) its relegated to bedroom usage only. Extremely, extremely disappointing...

I did that last time which fixed the issue. However, IMHO a $2,000 should stable enough to not warrant multiple flash resets in less than 6 months of ownership? Do I want to risk a failed start and mess with booting from USB or formatting the flash in a live scenario? Kemper needs to address this ASAP as I guarantee its going to affect the perception of potential customers as there's now 2 threads of owners having stability issues.

Agreed. But if your previous flash memory format/init was with a previous firmware version, I'd say it's starting to look like backup-fw upgrade-flash format-flash init-restore seems to be a good practice with the KPA.

• 95% of Kemper owners aren't members of this forum and don't participate on internet guitar forums.

Ha! I guarantee this is a false statistic.

This is digital modeling we're talking about, and you join the site to get access to THE RIG EXCHANGE. So joining the forum is probably a common step for most KPA users, especially since the manual sucks in many areas.

1.1.1 here and never had any issues. Will probably be awhile before upgrading.

• This is the third time I've had issues hanging on start up (not consecutive). I really, really don't want to boot from flash every time I power up. Hanging on the start up screen with just the text Kemper Profilng Amplifier. Get the latest software update:www.kemperamps.com/start.

Out of curiosity what firmware was you on when this happened was it on recent firmwares? I was getting this every time i tried to install new firmware but once it eventually installed ok i never had it since. That said I'm still a few firmwares behind as i see nothing in the last few firmwares that interest me enough to upgrade. Im happy with my kemper but dissapointed how slow proper updates are (ie FX) Still cannot believe it has no pitching fx` The lack of fx i need is stopping me using it live for now, Im still using my hd500 live

• Keep in mind.
    Always check the files you're importing into your Kemper are not corrupt.
    It's easy, check that they're all 4.kb, if you find one that's 0.kb then it's corrupt.
    A Cab file is 2kb, check those as well before importing.

One corrupt file can cause all kinds of problems with your KPA.

• Will: if you get again the red screen switch back quickly to browser mode and let it boot, after switch it off again. It seems that 2 users have already eliminated the issue just by doing that.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Keep in mind.
    Always check the files you're importing into your Kemper are not corrupt.
    It's easy, check that they're all 4.kb, if you find one that's 0.kb then it's corrupt.
    A Cab file is 2kb, check those as well before importing.

One corrupt file can cause all kinds of problems with your KPA.

LOL :rolleyes:

It's pretty obvious the FW is flawed.

• Windows as well, 1 corrupted or modified file can cause all sort of issues....
    Blackbird: are u actually having problems or just complaining for the ones of other users?

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• 95% of Kemper owners aren't members of this forum and don't participate on internet guitar forums.

Exactly. 1% rule states for every vocal member of an internet community there are 99 others having the same experience who are either not online or choose not to actively participate. So the fact that so many are experiencing the issue and providing feedback means there are many, many others having the same problem and either working with support or simply returning the "non-working" units. Big issue IMHO...

Out of curiosity what firmware was you on when this happened was it on recent firmwares? I was getting this every time i tried to install new firmware but once it eventually installed ok i never had it since. That said I'm still a few firmwares behind as i see nothing in the last few firmwares that interest me enough to upgrade. Im happy with my kemper but dissapointed how slow proper updates are (ie FX) Still cannot believe it has no pitching fx` The lack of fx i need is stopping me using it live for now, Im still using my hd500 live

1.54. Should have stayed on 1.52. May try to revert back tonight...

Will: if you get again the red screen switch back quickly to browser mode and let it boot, after switch it off again. It seems that 2 users have already eliminated the issue just by doing that.

Thanks, I'll try that.

• The idea of a possible corrupt profile def could make sense. There was a few profiles floating around awhile ago. Be it naming or what not that caused errors. Much like when a daw boots up and is loading plug ins. And crashes at a certain place everytime. Use to have to remove that plug in to remedy. Could be a possible cause like here to. Possibly

• Will: if you get again the red screen switch back quickly to browser mode and let it boot, after switch it off again. It seems that 2 users have already eliminated the issue just by doing that.

definitely! i'm one of the two. I'm not a member of the team kemper but please, whoever gets the same red screen issue, at least try what I tried and solve the issue: boot with the usb having inside the latest stable firmware (which is easily 1.5.4.). after that I took out the usb drive and continue to play the kemper as usual. shut it off and the red screen was gone. since then, every sound test went perfectly.

in addition, I don't understand why the kemper is considered untrustable for live use. if the usb drive boot wasn't able to boot it I would understand. but in case of emergencies if the usb drive is able (as it is!) to turn the kemper on, what's the big deal: just play it in the gig!

It might sound too minimalistic, but to play a gig, all I care is to have the kemper on, not how the kemper was turned on. but again this is just me.........

michael

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• I got the red screen after booting from USB and trying to shut down.

Any unit which shows any indication of instability will not make it to my gig rig. Any piece of gear I've ever owned which has failed at a gig will never make it to another gig. When I gig, I don't want to worry whether or not I'm going to have a problem when I turn the power on...

• I understand, Will, what you mean: the last thing you want to think about, prior to play, is to worry about the electronics. and I mean I understand because I tour with a show which has some very nasty guitar part which needs my complete attention. nevertheless, the red screen thing isn't in NO WAY compromising the turning on of the kemper. take my word for granted since I'm a direct witness to this: a sort of beta tester, so to say.

at present time, as far as I know, and the others can say something about, there is nothing which can prevent the kemper from turning on.

or at least, as I said in another thread, the kemper, at present time is reliable or isn't reliable as the other electronic device, like Fractal, Bogner, Marshall and so on, you name it.

at home I use the kemper to a Mesa Boogie 290 power amp. prior to an important gig, I did some rehearsal at the studio and I raise the Mesa standby switch to on. result? dead, no sound. checked the tubes: they were all off.

Found out a plastic connector inside the Mesa literally carbonized and left me with no sound. If I had the previous rig, triaxis and 290, I would have been left completly out of business. would you say that my previous rig was not reliable? it has been used by people like John Petrucci and several others. but it did left me miserable.

don't know if I made a point here.

guess the only safe thing, when touring, is to have the spare of the main things used. but can we afford it? hope I will soon ;)

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music