better linearity through output EQ

• Hello,

I use a QSC K-12 and know its frequency response curve. (and headphones beyerdynamic dt 770)
    Is it a good idea to smooth the curve through output eq by KPA? separat

ty 4 ur help :thumbup:

• Generally speaking, it sounds like a good idea.
    The real problem with this approach is that it's almost impossible to get a specular response curve through an EQ, because you have a limited number of controls whose freq is usually not freely assignable, and each filter interacts with its neighbours. A thirds-octave graphic EQ would probably be the best option.
    Expect to end up, anyway, with a very "tormented" response curve, full of complicated peaks and valleys.

A more specific problem may arise when you use up all the effectiveness of a tone control (for example putting it all the way up). This way you're actually limiting the functioning of the amp (KPA): let's say it is set to output +18 dB @ 7500 Hz just to return a "flat" (?) curve. Now, what if you need for a certain patch further 5 dB around that frequency? This could become critical for the linear functioning of the machine.
    furthermore, generally speaking, the tighter and stronger the correction, the stronger the phase rotations.

My advice would be not to try to make the overall output flat; focus over reducing the most evident band limitations, and over some specific peak or valley through a parametric (which is the most effective when you already know the exact freq you need to correct), but don't exaggerate with the compensations.

HTH

• My suggestion would be: use your ears and twek it 'till it sounds good, the rest is only nitpicking...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Never mind Kamin, senior members here may seem a bit hasty at times, but they're not bad guys at bottom... :D

"Trusting your ears" is always good basic advice, as each of us hears differently, and all of our gear is different. I can't tell you how many times I've downloaded a profile that others are raving about only to delete it because it sounded like crap to me ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Never mind Kamin, senior members here may seem a bit hasty at times, but they're not bad guys at bottom... :D

Did not meant to be nasty, sorry for giving this impression. I mean only that we have a lot of tools in the Kemper and we should not be afraid of using them: turn the knobs and look what they do, and if it sounds good that's ok. Nothing more :thumbup:

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• ^ I hope for them he's not hasty :P

@Guitarner: I did not write "nasty" tho ;)

Seriously speaking, I had the impression that Kamin was asking for something more technical. While of course the top goal for a musician is to arrive at a sound he\she likes, I got he was trying to compensate for an insufficient loudspeaker response curve, and asking advice about that.

Ultimately, donbarzini's response would probably be "do whatever makes you happy!".