Anyone using a Baja Telecaster here?

• Been gassing for a Telecaster for a while and have read they play very nicely with the Kemper. The Baja specs look very nice but I've read about some people experiencing intonation problems - I guess quality will vary on models like this. I thought about getting a compensated saddle if need be (Something like a Wilkinson 3 saddle bridge)

Anyone used a Classic Player Baja model with the Kemper? Unfortunately there no stores near me with one to try out...Any comments gratefully received :)
    I appreciate it's all subjective but I like to read about this stuff...

Cheers
    Brett

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• Yes, I got one in 2008 - a present from my wife.

I like the guitar - the neck is huge - and I did some mods ;)

1) Volume Pot: 220pF to compensate treble when turning volume down
    2) Tone Pot: Fender 'No load' pot
    3) 4 Way switch replaced with standard 3 way tele switch
    4) S1 switch is now Neck and bridge (humbucker effect)
    5) Bridge PU replaced with DiMarzio Twang King

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Thanks for This Armin - some useful info. I've read about a lot of users doing Mods to this model - might be a good choice to get my hands dirty...
    I notice that you haven't touched the 3 bridge saddle that it comes with - can I take that to mean that the intonation is ok for you?

Cheers again. :thumbup:

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• Baja plays well with Kemper. Baja's original pickups are excellent, if you like famous Fender tone and "twang" with bridge pickup. Try Golub Marshal profile with neck pickup and you get a very nice blues crunch. Try Fender profiles with bridge pickup and start "chicken pickin'", works like charm.

I switched my pickups to DiMarzio Area T after starting to play in a classic rock band. They work well in rock, but I'm missing the original pickups, so I'm considering to change them back - especially as I have couple of new guitars and don't need to take Baja to rehearsals and gigs anymore.

About saddles, if you want to change and want to keep the original sound, don't get six individual saddles. Two-string brass saddles give better sustain and balls. But before changing, normal two-string saddles are just fine IMHO, check out this article to improve intonation:
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/s…tech-tips/saddle_up_your/

Baja is one of those guitars in my collection that I won't sell any time soon, maybe ever.

• Yes, the stock pu's are fine - I love the stock neck pu - but wanted to get even more twang for the bridge - big difference.

As for the saddles - I love them as they are.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Thanks folks - some useful info here, just what I was after. This little nugget from MoreK I found particularly interesting:

But before changing, normal two-string saddles are just fine IMHO, check out this article to improve intonation:
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/cho…saddle_up_your/

Sounds like the stock 3 saddle bridge is working for Armin so I'll give it a whirl. Seems like a really good value instrument.
    Happy Hols one and all... :thumbup:

Edited once, last by Brattcave ().

• Thanks Andrew - PM sent.

• Quick update to say thanks for the advice given - I received my Blonde Baja Tele today and it spanks! :D
    The neck is certainly solid (!) but it feels just right to me. Factory setup actually seems pretty decent - I wasn't expecting the earth from a Mex made guitar but I was pleasantly surprised on the build quality. The frets are nicely finished and the intonation seems fine to my ear. I'll see how it settles down before I explore any mods but I do like the twang you get from these 3 saddle bridges. The Twisted Tele neck pick up is currently getting the most use - very nice...

Plugging into the KPA and I realised this is a very distinct guitar! Currently enjoying the Amp Factory's vintage pack especially the 61 Twin clean. I look forward to revisiting some of the other rigs that users have recommended for Teles. So far this thing is a keeper! :thumbup:

Cheers,

Brett

• Good for you, Brett.

For classic country sounds, try adding a compressor for extra sustain and maybe a delay to get a nice slap-back effect. Also cutting treble with Kemper EQ or guitar tone pot may give a fatter sound.

:thumbup:

• I recently got a blond Classic Player (months before I got a Kemper). Wasn't happy with the factory setup so took it in to get it sorted. The neck was fine, but, the nut cuts were too deep on the E and A strings so Andy (One Way Music, Wolverhampton) re-did it with some bone paste. Also sorted out the intonation by bending the saddle screws in properly. I also went for a full re-wire with proper old school thicker cotton wire. Setup with Elixer nanoweb 10's. Sounds awesome through my Kemper going into Cube 20XL via kemper headphone jack into aux-in on Cube. More than loud enough for bedroom jamming.