Tech 21 Power Engine vs Vintage Orange Roland Cube 60

• Hi guys,
    I also tried once the Fender Mustang IV which sounds really good. However, I got one that came with that buzzy digital sound during the phase when the tone is dying. This was very annoying and I sent it back. Later I have seen in the internet that many people talk about this buzz/hum issue. It is obviously specific for Mustang III and IV and may come from the power amp. I have no clue what the real reason is. Do you have this problem with your Mustang III?

Cheers
    Sacapuntas

• Mine is less than a week old, but was an open box that had been used slightly for demo at the store. It sounds great. No noise.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Hi Doc, I've seen your vid with the 3 different monitor amplifications and I also prefered the mustang - for me it sounded much better and with a lot more character. Now, as a recent kpa user, I decided I should get one but I see that now there is also good reviews of the yamaha dxr10 that you also use.

I don't know if there is anyone else familiar with both solutions or if it is even possible to decide which one is really better. Maybe no one wins but if there is a pros and cons consideration about them I really should like to know about it, to help me make a decision.

Thanks for any input.
    Joao

• The Mustang III is perfect for what I wanted. Simply can't beat it for the price. :thumbup:

So you have a direct input on the back of the mustang 3 which acts as a power amp only? ?( ^^ and does that signal chain run through any of the amps eq etc

thanks

Leg em down and yackem smackem

• So you have a direct input on the back of the mustang 3 which acts as a power amp only? ?( ^^ and does that signal chain run through any of the amps eq etc

thanks

The Mustang III has send and return which is AFTER its internal amp modelling and after its effects.
    So you use the power amp only.

• Hi Doc, I've seen your vid with the 3 different monitor amplifications and I also prefered the mustang - for me it sounded much better and with a lot more character. Now, as a recent kpa user, I decided I should get one but I see that now there is also good reviews of the yamaha dxr10 that you also use.

I don't know if there is anyone else familiar with both solutions or if it is even possible to decide which one is really better. Maybe no one wins but if there is a pros and cons consideration about them I really should like to know about it, to help me make a decision.

Thanks for any input.
    Joao

Hi Joao! ;)

I still stand by my verdict about the Mustang III.
    It's a good- sounding, no- nonsense, affordable, portable amplification solution for the KPA.
    It makes a very good backup rig (if ever needed)
    I'm more of an open back 1-2x12" player myself.
    In this regard the M III supports my speaker preferences.
    4x12" guys may find the M III not quite as satisfactory.
    To me it's great. And it's less than half the price of a DXR.

The DXR 10 is awesome on its own.
    Very compact, powerful, light-weight.
    It sounds great like a good guitar amp, responsive, not stiff at all

There are some pros that the Yamaha DXR 10 has over the M III however:
    - much more fidelity to the chosen cab in the KPA
    - much wider sound dispersion (the M III can beam like a guitar amp, because it is one)
    - tweaking rigs is easier to translate to PA/FOH.

I hope this helps.
    In the end it's all about preferences.
    I continue to use both devices.

• Hi Doc,

Thanks a
    lot on your input, it really helped a lot!

I also
    prefer 112 or 212s.

From the
    beginning I have been a vg and gr player and used a tech21 112 power engine for
    a long time.

I also used
    a pod hd500 with a tube blackstar and a 212 cabinet.

I even have
    gigged with a zt lunchbox so you see, 412s is not also my thing - and it is not
    a sound thing, it's the weight!

More
    recently I have been using a dt25 but never gigged with it.

I really
    liked your video demo of the mustang III and recently I also noticed great
    reviews on the dxr10 from users.

I was a bit
    afraid of the character of the dxr10, not because it is FRFR but because it is
    plastic made.

But if we
    share the same opinion about the sound of the mustang III on the demo you made
    and now you tell me that the dxr10 is awesome, than my decision is much easier
    and I thank you for that.

Plus,
    besides all the benefits you mentioned,
    for me there is still another one - if I pick the dxr10 I will easily integrate
    in the setup and with better sound quality an acoustic variax 700 thru the kpa and also the gr-55.

So, a FRFR solution would always be a better solution for me for any eventual setup, electric guitar, acoustic gtr and guitar synth. I was just afraid to sacrifice a good guitar amp sound because it was better for the other stuff but now I see that's not the case and so I have no more doubts.

Thanks so
    much for the help, that´s exactly what I needed!

I hope I
    made myself clear, if not, my portuguese will be a little better than my
    english... (hehe)

• Fixed :D .

Writing from a Tablet or a Smartphone? ;)

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Interesting info on the Mustang here. I have a question - how is the KPA connected to the Mustang? Is it via an aux in? How do you bypass the pre-amp?
    I see mention of the Mustang IV - I take it the connections are the same?
    thanks.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't

• Interesting info on the Mustang here. I have a question - how is the KPA connected to the Mustang? Is it via an aux in? How do you bypass the pre-amp?
    I see mention of the Mustang IV - I take it the connections are the same?
    thanks.

KPA monitor out (cab off) into the return of the Mustang. This way you only use the Mustang's poweramp.

• Per Radley's recommendations on another thread, I just ordered an Eminence Swamp Thang to try out in the M III. Always have to be trying something new ... :D

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Doc....good to hear that I am not the only one not going FRFR. I had originally intended to but I'm still having an issue of not having that amp/cab behind me. I know the new Atomic CLR setup is very nice but at 1000$ and then shipping, just isn't a solution that I am looking for. Nice to see you have found something that works nicely for you! :)