Wish for constant internal latency!

• Hey Sirius, I for one am a great fan of your profiles and you clearly know good tone bro. Thanks for bringing up the issue - and also explaining it with great depth. I hope this also changes soon as I was hoping to do the same with 2 kpa in the new year. Thanks again bro :thumbup:

• Blending amplifiers is very important to me as well. I bought the Kemper NOT knowing about this issue and found out that blending is not possible. I was disheartened and was left with a sinking feeling. Since many Kemper users are professional studio producers some of which have endorsed the unit, its seems this issue should seriously be addressed . I will be watching this thread closely and contribute what I can. Hopefully we will be blending amps very soon.

• +1

For me switchable fixed latency would be one of the greatest improvements to the KPA. I sold my Axe Fx for the KPA and it was a shock to see that I cannot reamp the way I was used to.

• Quick dumb Q - would it make any difference if the dry track had been recorded from a different source before being re-amped by the KPA ? (e.g Pod, VST plugin, direct signal from a pre amp etc)

Like many of us, I saw the thread on M.Wagener recently - re-amping is his thing and yet he was glowing in his praise. I wonder how he's getting round this? I know we shouldn't have to use external gear such as a little Labs IBP to get around this but would this work? I'm just looking for an interim solution until this gets (hopefully) fixed. Do we know if the tech support guys are actually working on this issue? Thanks to r_u-sirius for highlighting this.

What would be really great if CK could chime in about this...

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• I know we shouldn't have to use external gear such as a little Labs IBP to get around this but would this work?

I was asking several times for phase correction tools in the different output sections. This would be useful to phase align the stage backline to the FOH but it could also serve for solving these reamping problems (provided that you have detailed information on the exact latency of each single rig).

I think the basic problem in both of these cases is tracking: you can only delay the signal, impossible to make it come earlier and be ahead of time. So any phase and latency correction would certainly add up to the digital tracking. Even if the tracking of the KPA is great (at least inaudible to me) it still would add up: use a digital wireless and the analog FX-loop and all of a sudden you have six digital conversions in your signal path adding up their tracking. Well, I don't care too much about tracking, but we all know that tracking is (or was) a favourite topic of those nasty "anti-digital-guitaramp" discussions. Maybe this is why CK wanted the Profiler to be as tight as ever possible. And so the decisions always go against every feature that might lead to longer latencies.

Or maybe they are already working on it? In a tough competitive market you can not expect a company to talk at great length about their R&D internas. So I see this forum here more like a place where we can give input to the guys in Recklinghausen. But I am not expecting Christoph to chime in and chat about their future strategies.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Quick dumb Q - would it make any difference if the dry track had been recorded from a different source before being re-amped by the KPA ? (e.g Pod, VST plugin, direct signal from a pre amp etc)

Like many of us, I saw the thread on M.Wagener recently - re-amping is his thing and yet he was glowing in his praise. I wonder how he's getting round this? I know we shouldn't have to use external gear such as a little Labs IBP to get around this but would this work? I'm just looking for an interim solution until this gets (hopefully) fixed. Do we know if the tech support guys are actually working on this issue? Thanks to r_u-sirius for highlighting this.

What would be really great if CK could chime in about this...

Perhaps this is similar to the "switching latency" in which some seem to be experiencing delays while other units seem to switch acceptably?

• Am I the only one who has never had an issue re-amping with the Kemper? I am recording 5 days a week and never had any problems. ?(

Did you reamp two or more tracks from one source DI track? Were these recorded tracks permanetly in phase with each other?
    That´s the scenario, where the un-constant internal latency lead to unusable results!

Reamping just one track from one source DI track works just fine.

• @ Brattcave & fretboardminer:

thanks for chiming in - just to set things straight: phase aligning is always a must after reamping. Mr. Wagner does it, too, for sure. But that´s not the problem I´d like to adress here.

The problem with the KPA is, as I described already several times, that the internal latency gets randomly adjusted, so two or more reamped tracks from one source DI track will be out of phase at random parts.

• +1

this is definitely a problem that should be addressed. stacking sounds is a very routine way of getting guitar tones in the studio and this latency switch idea (to preserve the low latency when live) seems like it could be a great compromise.

• We have a hidden solution in the new public beta 1.60.
    Only update, if you are not having an important studio or live job.

Go to Output/Master menu, last page. Press soft button 4. It will light up. No message on the display.
    Now the profiler is on constant latency. Stays there until you press that button again.

Background: the profiler adapts to the lowest latency possible. That is individual per rig. This will create latencies around 3 ms. When you light up that button, you will get a higher but constant latency of about 4.9 ms.

Please consider the following fact: there is only one single condition where a constant latency is required - when two (or more) profiles are fed by the identical audio source. In this case the variable latency can yield to different phase relations.

I can only think of two situations where this happens:

1. Reamping and mixing the profiler more than once by using the same guitar track for reamping. That is the situation showed by some of you.
    2. Playing two or more Profilers at the same time by splitting the guitar signal and feeding both/all Profilers with it.

Please add it to the list, if you can think of more situations.
    The classic doubling of tracks is not an issue, because you play the guitar individually per track.

CK

• We have a hidden solution in the new public beta 1.60.

1. Reamping and mixing the profiler more than once by using the same guitar track for reamping. That is the situation showed by some of you.
    CK

This was my scenario, thank you so much for addressing the issue!! :thumbup:

• CK - This fix is genius. Thank you for being so responsive to this concern. I'm still in my first few weeks with this device and I am more impressed with it each day. But on top of the wonderful sounds and feature set it had on day #1, it is enormously reassuring to see the gap between the Kemper and a real amp in the room continue to close.