M.Wagener on KPA at Gearslutz

• Btw does anyone of you (still) have a profile on GS? Would be great if someone could chime in on the discussion over there and ask M. Wagener about how he refines his profiles? :)

I do- and ive just posted there. Hopefully well all hear something back soon

JJ

• As for the 'level going into the Kemper' i noticed a little bit more punch in my VHT-profile when hitting the KPA as hot as possible, meaning first having the profile canceled due to an overlaoded KPA-Input and then backing of the level a bit until it worked.

I like your style, Liquidaether. Nice one. :thumbup:

• I like your style, Liquidaether. Nice one. :thumbup:

Thank you very much! Haha. Have you made similar experiences? I mean i am not THAT old but the guy I learned all that studio stuff from in the 90s (which happend in a completely analog studio) told me alot to search for the sweet spot whenever possible (and more often than not that sweet spot is somewhere in the higher levelregion) which seems to be something people nowadays forget. Haha.

Btw are you the guy behind SHEPPi? Your forumname suggests sth. like that. :P Its a really great tool and I am using it regularly when mixing or mastering. :)

• +1 for Wagener's 1975 Beethoven recordings.

Now, I'm just waiting to hear when Steve Albini starts using the toaster.

Vintage amp obsessive

• Thank you very much! Haha. Have you made similar experiences? I mean i am not THAT old but the guy I learned all that studio stuff from in the 90s (which happend in a completely analog studio) told me alot to search for the sweet spot whenever possible (and more often than not that sweet spot is somewhere in the higher levelregion) which seems to be something people nowadays forget. Haha.

Btw are you the guy behind SHEPPi? Your forumname suggests sth. like that. :P Its a really great tool and I am using it regularly when mixing or mastering. :)

Your general concept (pushing something until it breaks and then back off a bit) has proven useful to me time and time again - particularly when dialing in distortion sounds. I think you've found the optimum approach there - but be aware that the KPA may adjust the input trim behind your back when the profiler clips, and this adjustment might survive reboot or other situations necessitating that you dial in the trim back to zero when profiling a different piece of gear in order for this trick to work consistently.

Yes, I'm the guy behind the Open Ambience Project. Glad you've found the plugin to be useful, I also use it on my own tracks!

-djh

Edited once, last by dhodgson ().

• The profiling is stopped by the KPA when the signal is too hot so i think there is no readjusting by the KPA going on. Or? ?(

Yeah, the Open Ambience Project rocks. I hope you wil not get in any trouble with it... ;)

• The profiling is stopped by the KPA when the signal is too hot so i think there is no readjusting by the KPA going on. Or? ?(

Yeah, the Open Ambience Project rocks. I hope you wil not get in any trouble with it... ;)

It's been months since I've had to create a profile from scratch, but I remember it being very difficult to get the Kemper to clip while profiling twice in a row. It would automatically drop the Return Level so that the next attempt might succeed, and this adjustment would even survive a reboot. Convenient, but the problem would be that when profiling different pieces of gear back-to-back that I'd have to remember to reset the Return Level back to 0.0dB in order to restore the original state so that each new profile would have the same opportunity to fail due to clipping.

On SHEPPi - yes I took one for the team, worrying about the litigation potential delayed the plugin's release by several months. Fortunately there was a groundswell of legal opinion going on at the time that emboldened me to run my plugin by a patent attorney who gave it the green light. I was reminded something similar from Kevin O'Connor's "The Ultimate Tone #4" book where Randall Smith of Mesa Boogie tried to patent the "Pentode/Triode" circuit in his amps and got it, despite ripping the circuit from earlier amp designs. Kevin O'Connor would have called K-Stereo a "vanity patent" (and I have to agree.)

Note that despite some early statements CK seems to be taking the Trade Secret path, which is probably wise if he believes his Profiler algorithm to be non-trivial (and therefore difficult to figure out.) Bob's wasn't. 8)

• Note that despite some early statements CK seems to be taking the Trade Secret path, which is probably wise if he believes his Profiler algorithm to be non-trivial (and therefore difficult to figure out.) Bob's wasn't. 8)

Yeah, i would also be taking this path. Haha.