• Dear all!
    My main goal is to build MY sound with the Kemper amp, a
    Marshall tube power amp and a Marshall 1960 4x12 cabinet. I do not
    expect to get the feeling or tones with my set up of having a real
    Fender Stack or any other full amp, just running them as preamp with my
    stuff. Currently the sound with my setup is... harsh and too far away
    from every real setup incl. Marshall-Profiles, which seams to be the
    easiest to recreate.

I asking myself and you if profiling of the (pre)amps would bring that.

What do you think?

Best regards
    Hudi

• No master eq settings, monitor out with cab turned off....
    Awesome is not what I and my band thought about it.
    My band members said it sounds like having an towel on the cab... well I do not agree with them, but it is far from amazing...
    I
    tried with my favorite tele and my sg tonight... it "worked" after
    several modifications during the rehearsal but there is plenty of room
    for getting better
    I will profile my old preamp sounds and will post an update.
    Thx for your comment!
    Hudi

• No master eq settings, monitor out with cab turned off....
    Awesome is not what I and my band thought about it.
    My band members said it sounds like having an towel on the cab...

this is strange because I have used the kemper into the mesa boogie 290 and 2 2x12 V30 cabs and the sound is spectacular to say the least. I have had gigs in the biggest places like the hard rock cafe and had all the suprises by the techs which were stunned by the sound even a low volume.

fyi i exit the kemper with the master out and go into the 290 inputs. I mainly use erik stam's legacys which are incredible and are identical to steve vai famous 'alien love secrets' album.

but even with other sounds I get people with their jaw on the floor. as far as some people told me a famous store nearby had sold nearly 14 kempers just by hearing mine (I'm a well known italian teacher and performer).

at what volume you use the power amp? of course, no matter how good is the kemper, if the power amp (especially a tube one) is kept low it will make the sound unclear and with low definition. try for example to raise the power amp level to a decent volume which might be to loud for the band, I understand. but at least you will rule out the power amp.

then.............is the towel in the cab sound due to the fact that the speaker is 'pointing' at ground level? might be a dumb thing but there is a tremendous difference when using guitar cabinet if they are pointing parallel to the floor or at ear level.

when I rehears and keep my speaker on the floor i can barely hear some highs and definition and I'm tempted to raise the mid and treble. instead you should consider that it is the mic that will get the sound and if this is put on the cone it'll have all the definition he wants.

just my cents

michael

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• I have a very similar setup to you. Marshall 9100 power amp and a 1960A 4x12 cab. For me it sounds very good with many Profiles all though they tend to sound similar because its going through the same cab. Have you tried any profiles of just preamps? theres a few around that were profiled without any cab and they tend to sound really good straight into a power amp and 4x12. try some of Sheguitarplayer's profiles :)

• Well at first thanks a lot for all you answers, line ups and hints. To be more accurate:

I use the kemper with as well and old 9005 2x50 Watts Marshall power amp which is at max volume, presence about 60%.
    I reduce the level with the preamp. Works for me since more than 10 years pretty good.
    My cab is on a case about 30 cm up since years as well.

To make a long story short:
    I tested a lot with my band and my sound and had to "learn" again (more than 30 years of rock on my back: :))
    that the cool sounds that are doing it at home, need sometimes a lot of adjustment until they are working inside
    the band and sometimes are just not working.

We had a guest (guitar player) during the last rehearsal and he feld blown away from my "new" sound :).
    I'm still adjusting, but I'm pretty shure to be completely happy soon.

Thx again and a lucky 2013 to all of you! :thumbup:
    Hudi

• Hey!

As written I am still trying to get a (my) live sound in the rehearsal room. After several changes in rigs and eq-settings I borrowed a marshal valve state power amp, which can be switched to a linear output. This reduced my artifacts in the sound so much, that my tube power amp is now out! But after adjustments to the live sound, the signal in the mixing desk is far avay from the real sound. Well I will give the global eq for the monitor out a try when I'm back in the rehearsal room. The live sound is now at a satisfaction level of appr. 80%. If you like I'll post my updates.

Current setup: KPA - Marshall Valvestate Power Amp - Marshall 1960A

• Ive been using my Kemper for about 4 gigs now. At the mo im running it through a monitor(Cheap wharfdale one) as im waiting for my Yamaha DXR10 to arrive. The first gig i did i must say the sound through the PA was great but it didnt sound to good through the monitor for me to hear :( . Through my experinece (ive been playing in bands for 16 years) tweaking sounds at home then using them live they always sounds different anyway so its takes quite a few giggs to achive the sound your after.

My sound is starting to get there id say 70%. Im planning on this week using my vetta head (just for the power amp part) and my 4x12 line 6 cab with Vintage 30's in and see what this sounds like. Im hopeing with this and the DXR10 ill get a really full big sound (fingers crossed)

• I've use the KPA live for about 7-8 months now .

I run the XLR's out in Stereo to the desk then run the monitor out into my 2:90 Power amp into a 2x12 Mesa Cab.

I make sure the cab is turned off in the monitor section and tweak theEQ for the Monitor Out each night depending the size of stage , distance back etc...

works great for me .... I can also adjust the monitor out volume during the night rather than turning up the power amp... :)

• I just came back from the rehearsal room and I am very happy with the sound, now! What happened??? Well I took all exisiting rehearsal rigs
    away and took my favorite rigs from home. I started with the TAF Big Twin and modified the monitor output eq until I was happy with the
    sound. After that I took a light crunchy Fender Deluxe Sound from TAF and made fine tunings with the monitor output eq until.... then I took a
    very cool TAF 5150 high gain rhythm sound and... fine tuning again. After that I switched between these three sounds and tuned until I had a
    very good overall sound...Rechecked with several other rigs! Now I can use exactly the same rigs for rehearsing and recording... AWESOME!

Setup: KPA - Marshall 8008 (linear output) - 1960A

• Ive been using my Kemper for about 4 gigs now. At the mo im running it through a monitor(Cheap wharfdale one) as im waiting for my Yamaha DXR10 to arrive. The first gig i did i must say the sound through the PA was great but it didnt sound to good through the monitor for me to hear :( . Through my experinece (ive been playing in bands for 16 years) tweaking sounds at home then using them live they always sounds different anyway so its takes quite a few giggs to achive the sound your after.

My sound is starting to get there id say 70%. Im planning on this week using my vetta head (just for the power amp part) and my 4x12 line 6 cab with Vintage 30's in and see what this sounds like. Im hopeing with this and the DXR10 ill get a really full big sound (fingers crossed)

Hey! How was the test with your Line6 cab????