SPDIF Out changes

• If we added all these little options here and there, you all would hate the Profiler in the end due to its complexity :)

I'd be happy just if the SPDIF out options would mirror the Main Out options..... I too record exclusively with SPDIF out and like to track in mono....

so a git/master mono on the SPDIF out would be the ticket

• If we added all these little options here and there, you all would hate the Profiler in the end due to its complexity

Absolutly correct. 'Featurities' is a bad disease. Once caught you will never get rid of it. Blocking real innovation for ever. And leads to loosing your mojo.

• I think that a too complex unit would be annoying.
    On the other hand, a certain degree of versatility requires a certain degree of complexity.

I agree that, for a designer, drawing the border between the two requires deep thinking and can lead to marketing failures. But is clear from this thread - and many other - that the advanced users want more control, more function and more flexibility.

In my opinion, a switch for a "Deep Control Mode" would give all the versatility and the functions power users require and expect, being at the same time safe for the casual users.
    Believe me, no-one would hate the Profiler after deciding to switch to DCM. And you can always go back and magically find all the advanced parameters defaulted to void as before switching.

Would this solution be considered acceptable?

:)

• Yeah. My question was kind of addressed to Kemper rather than to users :)
    ... would the presence of a Basic/Safe mode be enough to satisfy their will to keep the unit simple and encourage them to add code, complexity, debugging and the usual suspects to their daily work?

• I would just like to be able to slave SPDIF and be able to use it to begin with. That extra i/o would be incredibly useful but I can't because my whole studio setup is already synced to a professional quality clock.

• I'd be happy just if the SPDIF out options would mirror the Main Out options..... I too record exclusively with SPDIF out and like to track in mono....

so a git/master mono on the SPDIF out would be the ticket

+1. I know it doesn't make so much sense in a final recording mode to print the post fx mono, but as far as writing and arranging and putting down guide tracks, it's the perfect solution. You can get the part/idea down easily and still have the option later to use it and reamp if the newer takes don't meet the mark. :)

A much better solution than going analog in...

Why not just use another output? You could record the DI signal with the direct out. Then you could record just one side of the SPDIF for the mono delay. Maybe use the master stereo out to record something else as well.

I'll answer your question with a question......

WHY use another output / input?

It's simply possible via software change to SPDIF options. Not all of us have *many* channel interfaces. I have an RME Babyface that has 2 analog inputs that I have my stereo condensers plugged into, and the SPDIF capability of the Babyface and Kemper work together beautifully so that I can monitor everything without having to get behind my desk into a mass of cables in my small room and plug/unplug everything just to get a mono guitar + FX recorded.

Also, as others have mentioned in this thread, because the Kemper cannot be a SLAVE, only MASTER, the analog signal will have a time discrepancy versus the all digital signal. In other words, if you take the Stack signal via SPDIF and the Stack signal via Main Output / Analog IN - they don't line up and are out of phase.... you have to go into your DAW after the fact and re-line everything up every time that you record a track...?? Not a good solution.

• Why would the analog signals and Spdif signals out of phase?
    This is no issue of being master or slave.

I'm just saying that if you record the SPDIF signal and the Analog Input at the same time through the babyface ( both Stack ), they don't line up in the DAW. There is a latency present with the Analog input that doesn't exist for the SPDIF signal.... through the RME babyface..... obviously due to another A/D conversion

So the two tracks in the DAW in this scenario are (slightly) out of phase. The other guy suggested that I record the FX with the Analog Inputs and the Stack via SPDIF - but beyond that being a hassle, the timing will not be ( exactly ) correct for the recorded tracks :)

BTW that is using a buffer of 64 in Logic X. Going down to 32 may solve this time discrepancy, but I have problems with my system when going that low.... and having used many other interfaces, the 64 buffer is not even possible without major pops and clicks... so the misalignment would be even greater ( possibly ) with another interface

So just to clarify.... if the SPDIF had an option just like the Main Output..... "Master Left" or ( even better ) git / Master Left that would be great. Recording mono delay and mono reverb with the track itself is common in my world. We do it on a lot of Rockabilly and Surf guitar parts. It's helpful sometimes to just pan the guitar track in a mix and have the reverb pan with it...

Do you guys think this is a bad idea ?

Edited 2 times, last by audiogenx ().