SaffirePro 24 or RME Babyface

• New owner here, great unit. My studio set up is let down by my monitors and, now, my interface. I have the apogee ONE which is a grew little unit but completely lacking in SPDIF among other things which I think will come in very useful. I'm looking to upgrade my setup to get the most out of the KPA. Probably going to shoot for some Adam A7X monitors which are going to hit the budget pretty hard. I would like to get the RME baby face interface but I was curious if the extra £200 is worth it compared to the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24. I notice alot of people here are using it here, would the extra investment in the RME be of benefit?

• I couldn't comment on the SaffirePro, but one thing to note on the Babyface, is that the spdif is optical based and you would need some kind of box converter like an M-Audio Co2 to take it from optical to coaxil. This has been my experience, maybe others can chime in if they've found a better solution?

I came from an Mbox 2 Pro using spdif. I currently use the Babyface via analog into the Kemper. The Kemper sounds awesome through both. What I do notice is the playback clarity through my monitors and the lower latency times that I can record using the Babyface vs the Mbox 2 pro. The mic-pre's in the Babyface are way better too.

On a final note, I'm really happy with the Babyface. The sound quality is awesome, not to mention portability etc... Hope this helps a little, I'd be curios to know about the SaffirePro 24 as well. That's another unit that I looked at.

• Thanks man, i didnt realise that a converter would be needed. The Babyface is obviously the better unit but with the converter its putting it at nearly double the cost. Something for me to think about. My only problem with the Saffire was if it sounds any good as its quite cheap for everything thats on it. And firewire probably has a limited lifespan with Macs, although thats not a major problem

• The SaffirePro 24 (and the Liquid Saffire 56) is an excellent product, you shouldn't underestimate it compared to the Babyface. The additional 200 are due to the brand name, not because it's better ;)

• Cool. Yeah it's looking the way i'm headed. Id rather invest the extra money in quality home studio monitors as it will probably benefit me the most both for general mixing and playing with the KPA. I'm hoping it will be a an upgrade to the Apogee One I have though, feature wise I hope so, the pre-amps are probably negligible at this price range.

Cheers guys