Seperate Tone Stack Profile

• It would be great if, after profiling, a sperate step could be performed to profile the tone stack.

The procedure might go something like this:

1. a test signal (pink noise?) would be injected into the real amp

2. the user would be prompted to turn each tone knob from min to max then back to zero, confirming each completed tone knob by button press.

This should allow the frequency center, Q, and perhaps even interaction to be determined and used to provide more realistic duplication of the amps tone stack. This could be stored as a tone stack just like cabs.

bd

• +1000
    I thought about something like this as well and it could be technincally possible. This would be a SUPERB GREAT feature and would be the icing on the cake of the Kemper imho!

• Well, i was suggesting this some months ago, with a kinda of "deep" profiling, but CK stated that they rather prepare a library of tonestacks, like the ones in the AFII.
    By the way i agree with you suggestion at 100% :thumbup:

• And further down the rabbit hole we travel. :D

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• A library of tonestacks would certainly be welcomed!
    I doubt that a procedure as described by the OP would work tho: in order for the KPA to be able to read the tones' interaction, each pot should be rotated while keeping the other ones in each possible position. A very high number of combinations, and a very long time implied. And, you'd still have the problem of telling the KPA which global filter corresponds to which position...
    The possible solutions to these shortcomings seem even more complex.

• The interaction part would be tough, maybe not possible....that's why I said "and perhaps even".
    What the KPA already does is amazing so why limit what we ask for! :) A library would be nice.
    Anything is better than the fixed EQ we have. Having tonal centers and Q that match the amp
    is a nice start.

bd

• I see where you come from. But, as long as the controls fail to interact with each other, we won't get what this request primarily aims at, that is a tonestack mimicking the real amp.

The point is, that the interaction is not something that the amp (or the user) engages when needed, but is the way the controls are implemented. Having the same central freq or Q factor will not make the KPA filter in the same way, because the interaction among the controls will be always missing in any position (unless the interaction the amp shows is just plain algebraical).

I would not agree that a passive tonestack is the worst thing we can have. I think for example of a profile of an amp with just one or two controls: the KPA allows for creating sounds impossible to achieve from the real amp.
    I'm aware this is not accurate to the original, but having central freq and Q only would not be accurate as well.

• I think the KPA tone stack is great, maybe not authentic to the amp but usable, I mean how many sweet spots does a real amp have?, 1, 2 maybe 3? What we need are multiple profiles with different guitars and pickups hitting that sweet spot and that's not even considering personal taste. That's why profiles are so hit and miss, but when you get a good one WOW.

It's a profiler not a moddler right?

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• I agree with you :)

OTOH, if you use a profile from an amp you know, it's great to have the possibility to tweak it as the real amp. This would make making most profiles sound great with any guitar much easier.

Point being, that often we don't like a profile because the amp's tonestack was set for a different guitar; and, with a generic tonestack you have no way (unless you're lucky) to take the profile back to the perfect setting you'd have used on the real amp with your guitar.

This is the critical point of implementing real tonestacks IMO, not a generic versatility but rather the possibility to have the real (mic'ed) amp under your fingers. The rest (dinamic, compression, distortion, sag) is in the KPA's hands :)

• This is a very interesting idea, although I'm not sure if it's technically feasible. Probably one of the biggest problems would be with pre-gain tone controls like the ones found in Mesa/Boogie amps. The effect on tone of pre-gain vs post-gain is completely different and I would guess, pretty difficult to profile. I would be perfectly happy with a choice of pre/post gain and a "type" selection for the tonestack section, I don't think we'd need more than around a dozen of them.

• Anybody tested the new Tonestack-Presets yet?

There are several with their values actually "0" for Bass, Mids, Treble and Presence. So with the generic tonestack they all should sound and behave the same. For my ears they don't, they do sound and behave slightly different. Apart from that there wouldn't be a point in several presets with the same values, wouldn't it?

Is it possible we just got the tonestack-library with 1.6 or am I going completely insane now? ;)