Wishlist

• I think I've got my KPA long enough for being able to list the features and changes I'd like to see in future firmware upgrades, so here it goes:

1. More dirt pedals: particularly variations on fuzz face and big muff with more tweakability so we can shave off some of the top or low end or tame the gain so they respond better to playing dynamics. A more accurate model of a tubescreamer or one of its variations would be very useful too. [EDIT: Partially contemplated (Green Screamer) since beta 1.6 released 10-Jan-13]

2. A simple pitch detune/shift/whammy: no need for anything fancy right now, I firmly believe that the addition of those 3 variations of pitch fx would satisfy plenty of current and potential customers.

3. S/PDIF slaving and 48kHz support: goes without saying, this would allow me to use the S/PDIF out of my KPA with my Eleven Rack which would be great for recording. Also it seems a lot of people records at 24bit/48kHz so that might also boost sales.

4. Faster patch switching time. I find the current ~100ms to be too long for my live applications, I would love if that figured could be cut in half (maybe performance mode will take care of that)

5. MIDI Clock behavior: currently if the KPA senses the presence of MIDI clock it automatically turns tempo ON for a rig if you're editing it and does not allow the user to turn it off. I think tempo should only be used if the user specifically turned it on. Also it would be even better if each time based effect parameter would be split in tempo sync (2, 1, 1/1 dotted, etc, OFF) and time/frequency, which would reflect the tempo sync parameter value in relationship with the rig tempo (which could be set manually or by MIDI clock), and if the effect tempo sync parameter was set to OFF then its time/frequency parameter could be freely adjusted.

6. Speaker breakup parameter in the cabinet section: would mimic the behavior of speaker breakup, and my suggestion is that it can be set to 0.0-10.0 but still change dynamically so it depending on the setting it would increase depending on how hard one picks the strings.

7. Internal rig management: ability to delete all but the currently selected rigs filter (user, last imported, favorites), ability to export only the currently selected rigs filter. [EDIT: Done since beta 1.6 released 10-Jan-13]

8. Mix parameter for distortion pedals: in order to mimic some pedals which have that feature.

9. Variac parameter in the amp section: default at <0.0>, would turn the amp brighter and more aggressive if turned clockwise, and spongier and smoother when turned counterclockwise.

10. A high resolution reverb for complex and detailed ambiance effects (like the space designer in Logic), and a spring reverb, even at the cost of DSP limitation of simultaneous effects.

11. While I know a ducking delay is already in beta (and that's VERY appreciated), I would also love to see Kemper's take on a tape delay.

12. I'm aware that the ability to choose tonestacks is in the works, but while you're at it, I'd love that the tone controls would be made to sound a bit more "natural"; currently they sound a bit too "precise" to my ears if that makes any sense. In a tube amp there are leaks and interations of all kinds between tone controls so they're are far from being perfect, but I for one happen to like that.

Well there you have it, for now I think this is it, I'll keep this thread alive with more suggestions/requests as I think of them.

Cheers,
    Deny

Edited 3 times, last by Deny ().

• Great list!

Just a few FYI:

1. More dirt pedals: particularly variations on fuzz face and big muff with more tweakability so we can shave off some of the top or low end or tame the gain so they respond better to playing dynamics. A more accurate model of a tubescreamer or one of its variations would be very useful too.

CK has chimed in that he believes the Green Screamer faithfully emulates the TS808 he owns and that a Maxon he aquired wasn't different enough to be worth the effort. So not likely unfortunately.

4. Faster patch switching time. I find the current ~100ms to be too long for my live applications, I would love if that figured could be cut in half (maybe performance mode will take care of that)

Some of us don't seem to have a patch switch delay.I do experience the "fade in" when going from clean to dirty but its quicker than I can get my foot of the switch and I'm a follower of switching during inconspicuous moments anyway.

11. While I know a ducking delay is already in beta (and that's VERY appreciated), I would also love to see Kemper's take on a tape delay.

I believe the manual states delay is a tape delay emulation. It can self oscillate like one and you can control the quality of the delay using the multiple parameters.

• That's too bad about the Tubscreamer, maybe a variation that's different enough to justify including in the KPA? My fingers are crossed.

I've contemplated the fact that some players say they don't have the switching latency, but as time went by and I read lots and lots of posts about it it became apparent that in fact some players don't mind the current latency while others do (myself included).

About the tape delay, on page 46 of the reference manual it states that the modulation parameter can achieve an effect that sounds similar to a tape delay, but the analog delay is described (on page 44) as being reminescent of bucket brigade delays (like the old Boss analog delay). I'm no expert on how those old machines work, but I do know they sound different from what I'm able to get from the KPA's analog delay. Maybe if a "tape saturation" parameter was added? I don't know, but for some reason I believe CK would come up with a stellar version of that effect, probably because of his experience on digital analog emulation with the Virus.

• I find lots of good ideas here, you're clearly a thinker ^^

I particularly love the idea of "it would be even better if each time based effect parameter would be split in tempo sync (2, 1, 1/1 dotted, etc, OFF) and time/frequency, which would reflect the tempo sync parameter value in relationship with the rig tempo (which could be set manually or by MIDI clock)".

As for spring reverb, a couple of quotations from the wiKPA:

[[DonPedersen]] There is a really good (bad) ;) sounding spring reverb in the KPA. It's called Matchbox in the Reverb section. Set pre-delay to 0, limit the bandwidth a little bit (watch out, there's a lot happening between 0.0 and 1.0 already) and use frequency to turn it brighter. I have a few spring reverbs here (Accutronics,Dynacord, no name...) and the KPA can capture their vibes easily.

[billruppert] I wanted to explain what my profiles are all about.

1. Surf's Up is in response to people asking for a surf sound. It’s a great emulation of a spring reverb and when the gain is cranked it becomes total punk surf guitar! If youget any clipping due a stronger pickup output just reduce the volume control on the right till the master led is in the green and save.

The latter refers to factory rigs from Bill himself.

HTH

• Cool info about the matchbox/spring reverb, didn't know that and I'll bet a lot of other users don't either, why not name it "spring"? Anyway thanks for pointing it out, can't wait to give it a try along with new 1.6 firmware when I get home :)

• Just wanted to say that the fact that the new Green Screamer is now more faithful to the original pedal and the addition of ducking parameter are a huge improvement to an already awesome tone machine, and I know it will still get better. So I guess thanks to the Kemper team are in order :)

• Just wanted to say that the fact that the new Green Screamer is now more faithful to the original pedal and the addition of ducking parameter are a huge improvement to an already awesome tone machine, and I know it will still get better. So I guess thanks to the Kemper team are in order :)

Yep! Looks like I was completely wrong about the Green Screamer enhancement.

• That's too bad about the Tubscreamer, maybe a variation that's different enough to justify including in the KPA? My fingers are crossed.

I've contemplated the fact that some players say they don't have the switching latency, but as time went by and I read lots and lots of posts about it it became apparent that in fact some players don't mind the current latency while others do (myself included).

About the tape delay, on page 46 of the reference manual it states that the modulation parameter can achieve an effect that sounds similar to a tape delay, but the analog delay is described (on page 44) as being reminescent of bucket brigade delays (like the old Boss analog delay). I'm no expert on how those old machines work, but I do know they sound different from what I'm able to get from the KPA's analog delay. Maybe if a "tape saturation" parameter was added? I don't know, but for some reason I believe CK would come up with a stellar version of that effect, probably because of his experience on digital analog emulation with the Virus.

I'm telling you, on 1.52 I could hold a chord and switch patches and there was no discernible latency switching. Moving from dirty to clean, there is often a pop when switching. Moving from clean to dirty, there is a fade in which is literally quicker than I can get my foot of the switch. the fade in is likely to hide a much louder pop when moving from clean to dirty. A similar fade in technique (though even faster) is often employed in analog circuits to hide the pop associated with a bypass switch. I can 't speak for your personal experience, but for me since I would never switch mid chord everything works without issue. I haven't hooked up my controller with 1.6 yet.

Here's the delay quote from the manual:

At high “Feedback” settings you get a tape delay sound, complete with infinite oscillation and tape-saturation effect. For the tape delay saturation we use the softest saturation algorithm possible. The modulation will even give a mono delay a full stereo width, creating an airy effect on stereo delays, and adding wow and flutter to a typical tape delay sound.

I would agree its not as dirty as some tape emulations I've heard on the market (for example Line 6's over exaggeration, or perhaps modeling a unit in which the tape had outlived its usefulness) and I love how Digitech allows control over wow and flutter separately. Last night messing with 1.6, I think they actually changed the delay modulation a bit. I used to simply turn it off but last night I was able to get a very usable subtle modulation out of it which I don't recall being able to get before.

• Will, last night I gave the matchbox reverb a try and was able to emulate a fairly convincing spring reverb with mix 45%, delay/reverb at 0%, reverb time 1.7, damp 1.5 and predelay 50ms. I really don't think that without a dedicated unit or a very sophisticated algorithm (and thus DSP intensive) we're going to get much better than that.

I thought the lo-fi character I got from these reverb settings was pretty cool, btw thanks again Gianfranco.

I haven't hooked up my MIDI controller to the KPA with 1.6 yet either, but will do during the weekend, however I don't expect any changes in that department yet, maybe after NAMM when they release 2.0 with Performance Mode.

That's some cool info about the new behavior of the delay modulation, I didn't use it before because I thought the effect was a bit exaggerated, will give it another try soon.

• Just keep it at a subtle setting and its getting closer to what I can get from my GSP1101 which is a subtle shimmer on the delays.

EDIT: I just realized that my live patches always use a single amp set up at multiple gain levels. So perhaps the reason my switching is so quick is due to using the same profile across multiple presets. I'm planning on adding a different profile for my pure clean tone and one crazy fuzzed out profile as well, perhaps that will expose the latent switching issue for me...

• Will, last night I gave the matchbox reverb a try and was able to emulate a fairly convincing spring reverb with mix 45%, delay/reverb at 0%, reverb time 1.7, damp 1.5 and predelay 50ms. I really don't think that without a dedicated unit or a very sophisticated algorithm (and thus DSP intensive) we're going to get much better than that.

That does not sound spring reverb to my ears, not even close. It does not have that spring reverb "zing". Even Line6 HD -series have nice spring reverb, so it shouldn't be that hard to bring one in Kemper.
    Also spring reverb is basic reverb in many classic Fenders etc...

• That does not sound spring reverb to my ears, not even close. It does not have that spring reverb "zing". Even Line6 HD -series have nice spring reverb, so it shouldn't be that hard to bring one in Kemper.
    Also spring reverb is basic reverb in many classic Fenders etc...

I'll take your word for it, I'm no expert in spring reverbs by any means, and to be honest I've only included it in my list because it's a popular request among KPA users.

• I'll take your word for it, I'm no expert in spring reverbs by any means, and to be honest I've only included it in my list because it's a popular request among KPA users.

The problem in implementing a spring reverb is not only the algorithm but the signal chain implementation. For example, those old surf tunes (which is a popular genre among spring reverb aficionados) were created with outboard spring reverbs placed before their amps. That is a very different sound than the typical modern spring setup, which is also a familiar sound for anyone who's had a reverb bearing amp. It'd be nice to have, though the reverb included is certainly nice and usable in performance scenarios (when recording I always print dry and use some convolution plugs and IRs which IMHO sound much, much more realistic).

• 48 Khz and Slave mode for SPDIF please !!!!!!

if it means to get some latency, no problem, in reamping application we dont really mind but needs the slave mode !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Some comments:

1. More dirt pedals: particularly variations on fuzz face and big muff with more tweakability so we can shave off some of the top or low end or tame the gain so they respond better to playing dynamics.

I am not a fan of taking over mediocre concepts from decades ago and trying to improve them afterwards.
    I recomment to use good profiles and improve them with equalizer presets in the STOMPS section. That is a more contemporary way.

5. MIDI Clock behavior: currently if the KPA senses the presence of MIDI clock it automatically turns tempo ON for a rig if you're editing it and does not allow the user to turn it off. I think tempo should only be used if the user specifically turned it on.

We never had a Midi Clock Receive switch in our Virus Synthesizers, and we will not bring it to the Profiler. If you don't want the Profiler to sync on Midi Clock, why do you send it??

Also it would be even better if each time based effect parameter would be split in tempo sync (2, 1, 1/1 dotted, etc, OFF) and time/frequency, which would reflect the tempo sync parameter value in relationship with the rig tempo (which could be set manually or by MIDI clock), and if the effect tempo sync parameter was set to OFF then its time/frequency parameter could be freely adjusted.

This is pretty much what happens when you set the Tempo to "off"

6. Speaker breakup parameter in the cabinet section: would mimic the behavior of speaker breakup, and my suggestion is that it can be set to 0.0-10.0 but still change dynamically so it depending on the setting it would increase depending on how hard one picks the strings.

We have the Speaker Breakup in the profiles, taken from the original speakers. Do you have the impression that it does not work dynamically?

8. Mix parameter for distortion pedals: in order to mimic some pedals which have that feature.

If we mimic such pedals, we would have a mix control. I have got close to zero responce for the mix parameter in the amp section (I must admit it is not documented in the manual). Parallel mix with distorted signals is not that sexy.

9. Variac parameter in the amp section: default at <0.0>, would turn the amp brighter and more aggressive if turned clockwise, and spongier and smoother when turned counterclockwise.

In difference to other companies, I am not a big fan of creating dozends of deep parameters, that mainly base on equalizers. That makes an amp complicated to handle. You can use a regular equalizer to achieve what you want.

11. While I know a ducking delay is already in beta (and that's VERY appreciated)

How did you know? :)

12. I'm aware that the ability to choose tonestacks is in the works, but while you're at it, I'd love that the tone controls would be made to sound a bit more "natural"; currently they sound a bit too "precise" to my ears if that makes any sense. In a tube amp there are leaks and interations of all kinds between tone controls so they're are far from being perfect, but I for one happen to like that.

We have lots of interaction between the controls. It's a generic passive tonestack.