Hm, don't like the sound from FW 1.6 (Edit Fixed now)

• Maybe they were first 98% fixed and after reset 120% fixed.

exactly :D

Even the latency switch seamed to have a sound effect before the system reset - after it was all fine.

don't want to waste any more time with this.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• I am sure now, that the sound itself has not changed, but that at times odd things happen on 1.6 for me. For example I had a complete output volume drop to zero that could only be fixed when I restarted the Kemper. After that I had the "different" sound problem (less responsive to picking, like a slight delay; slightly duller sound) of which I now know that when I hold the system button on startup until the message "global ..." appears it can be fixed.

• I mean I can answer questions but don't want to reinstall all the different firmware versions and so on and try to reproduce the error.
    There are surely some bugs in 1.6.0 (which is ok since it's a beta version) - and I am happy now since the basic tone is the same as in the versions before.

I must say I have no idea when the sound-change happened - if it was there all the time since I installed 1.6.0 or if it came later because of some other bugs or whatever.
    All I can say is that it sounds and feels strange for me and now it's fine again - and the final step I did was to do a system reset.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Boot holding Sytem pressed 'till you see "initializing....". You'll need to re-set date, time, username (exactly the same as before, otherwise no favourites), input and output settings.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• 32 People voted in the poll that "the sound before 1.6.0 was better" ...surely one of these men can assist CK in the bug hunt... :D

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• exactly :D

Even the latency switch seamed to have a sound effect before the system reset - after it was all fine.

don't want to waste any more time with this.

For give my ignorance where is this latency switch ?....
    I'm glad all has worked out, as I said posts back I have always reset sys on loading a new OS and I can honestly
    Say I have not seen a fraction of the problems a lot of the guys have reported on this forum, other than the main ones noted
    I'm off to play it not play with it tonight have fun all. Evening CK

Steve
    Mainly my own built valve amps and Kemper

• it's the fourth button above the screen, it's not labeled, you have to be on page 5 to either turn "constant" on (light) or off (no light). You have to push the "master" button first to take you to that menu, them go to page 5 of that menu.

An answer posted earlier by donbarzini... of course, if you follow his advice you could end up locked in a dark wardrobe somewhere.... press with caution. Could be a built in homing device...

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• For give my ignorance where is this latency switch ?....
    I'm glad all has worked out, as I said posts back I have always reset sys on loading a new OS and I can honestly
    Say I have not seen a fraction of the problems a lot of the guys have reported on this forum, other than the main ones noted
    I'm off to play it not play with it tonight have fun all. Evening CK

Its in the output (master) menu page 5/5 then you press soft button 4 (its not labelled but the light will turn on and off)

• @ck (mainly): reading all this, i get the feeling that the perceived difference in sound had a lot to do with feel and responsiveness aka playing experience. there might be a good chance that all this "hearing a slight difference in tone" was actually a "feel thing" - so reamping won't help us here. i'm glad that this epic issue seems to be resolved and we're a happy family again.

btw, regarding "feel thing" - as i'm in the latency-sensitive group, i would highly appreciate any measures taken to keep latency as low as possible. i think we are a little over the advertised 2,4ms (was it?) when i bought the unit over a year ago. not like night an day, just want to make sure that this is one important "feature" of a digital unit and some players DO care. i wouldn't be surprised of another epic "this firmware sounds absolutely awesome"-thread, when there's a change of latency for the good... 8)

speaking of latency: the new power amp - since it's digital, does it add latency? sorry, no clue, i'm a digital amp noob, but i know that some dsp powered monitors (like the new CLR active ??? does it? anyone knows?) do add additional latency and i'm pretty sure i'd want to avoid that!

• Thanks all I missed that post altogether I'm of out soon got to rap the kemper can't have it getting cold and getting any BUGS.
    Lol :D

Steve
    Mainly my own built valve amps and Kemper

• SteelEdge, Armin - thanks tons for the system reset tip. Though to tell you the truth - I didnt really see/feel a difference between 1.5.4 and 1.6.0 (before the system reset - I played the KPA through my rig - QSCK12's). Now - I must state that I have never used the SPDIFs - EVER, so I cant comment on perceived differences through them. I even use the Analogue out for recording stuff. I did the system reset anyway - since there may be other gremlins in the woodwork ;).

Anyway - I am happy with the sound in 1.6.0 - no worries there.

And here's why I wont let this thread worry me too much (this also goes out to all those doubters there ;)).

There are 2 basic contradicting statements I see after going through all the posts:

Statement #1 - The sound in 1.6.0 is dull and muffled (before system reset).
    Statement #2 - The sound in 1.6.0 is brighter - I gauged this from MadH's EQ curve posts (both before system reset and after), and from the RED lines in there.

Please correct me if Im wrong - but the RED line basically is the amount of compensation (-ve or +ve) to make signal 2 the same as signal 1. Signal 2 being 1.6.0 and Signal 1 being 1.5.4. In both of MadH's posts (I forget the 1st one, but the 2nd one is in post #603), it seems like 1.6.0 is the brighter of the 2, simply because the RED line is below the FLAT brown line, correct? If not - I am sorry for additional confusion I may have caused.

Armin, brother, after all this you mention that you may have accidentally used 3 separate guitars :)? I dont know what to say. Guys, forgive me if I sound a little abrasive, but I am a musician/artist and an engineer too, and I dont base my decisions purely on 'warm fuzzies on the back of my neck' :). I understand and am with you guys 100% that playing feel is important, but I need cold hard facts too (helps me keep the human in me - in check ;)).

Long story short - I still love the sound of the KPA - will continue to use it live. Having loads of fun playing it.

This thread's been educative - but it's made me question the veracity of certain 'facts' mentioned in here - that's all ;). Thanks for all the hard work folks - this forum really rocks - 70+ pages of hardline arguments and discussions and everyone is absolutely civil :)??!! Havent seen this on an internet forum for a long, long time!

Peace :).

• gorillabendz - maybe yours was fine from the start anyway? ;) (lucky you)
    no need to relive this thread, lets move on :thumbup:

Sorry guys, but I don't agree!
    At this point I'd like to know if, in case of any doubts, a system reset can guarantee a better sound... I never noticed a difference and AFAIR in previous and old threads there's no proof of different sound before and after the reset, isn't it? Do I have to worry and always do a reset before important recording and/or live shows?
    An official answer will be very appreciated...