Hm, don't like the sound from FW 1.6 (Edit Fixed now)

• I haven't done any scientific tests with the new firmware (and didn't feel the need to do so) - the only change I noticed is the now perfect Green Scream which changed alot of my Rigs by far to the better. Honestly, it might be you hear the grass growing...? I'll give it a quick test tonight with some previous recordings of Firmware 1.5...

• I just made the comparison going back to 1.5.4. It definitely sounds different. I compared both using one of my fav profiles from the amp factory (JCM 800 drive). My 1st impression was right. The new firmware sounds different (I don't like it). It is actually quite noticeable that it sounds brighter. I will not enter into the debate of it sounding better of worse because it does not make any sense. The point is that the rigs should sound exactly the same no matter what firmware you use except for the aliasing being removed.

• I just made the comparison going back to 1.5.4. It definitely sounds different. I compared both using one of my fav profiles from the amp factory (JCM 800 drive). My 1st impression was right. The new firmware sounds different (I don't like it). It is actually quite noticeable that it sounds brighter. I will not enter into the debate of it sounding better of worse because it does not make any sense. The point is that the rigs should sound exactly the same no matter what firmware you use except for the aliasing being removed.

Can you post clips?

• Yeah the change is definitely there. If it sounds the same on all KPAs then the users not hearing it might have less sensitivity to such minor details. Or maybe not all the rigs are affected in a same way? Who knows... Or maybe we are not fully grown male individuals... :rolleyes:
    As the "official" statement is nothing has changed, and it should sound the same, this thing that some of us encounter might very well be a bug that needs to be corrected. /although I feel this has something to do with the reduction of aliasing/. Hmm?
    The consistent sound quality is one of the main selling points of the unit. I think this change needs to be explained (and maybe corrected if possible) by the Kemper team.

• Slightly more sheen and presence on the first one - but it sounds definitely better to me....I'll check it as soon as my kids are going to bed as well...

• Firmware compare

Does it sound the same or different?

The first is definitely brighter, opener and "chrunchier", more detailed. The second is a tad mellower and therefor also a bit more "distant".

Which is 1.6 then?!?

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Firmware compare

Does it sound the same or different?

Different. But which is which? You claim the new is duller while others brighter. IMHO, the reduction of aliasing had to change the sound of the unit as it would likely be achieved by filtering frequencies out. The question becomes, for the aliasing freaks was the occurrence at high gain levels of aliasing worth the change in tone? If not roll back and be happy. There was only one of my favorite rigs which I feel changed for the worse (brighter) after the update. Otherwise everything seems to sound even better than before. But remember folks, this is a beta and by installing a beta you are on participating in a test. One of the devs needs to step in and provide some insight...

• first is 1.5.2 (the version I used before the update) - second is 1.6.0

Currently doing more tests here.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Can't say for sure (since I really don't remember if I might have retweaked the rig I tested with slightly) but to me it seems like the new firmware is slightly more scooped and has slightly less presence...mmhhhh...would be cool to know more....