Hm, don't like the sound from FW 1.6 (Edit Fixed now)

• I haven't upgraded to 1.6 yet, but I intend to now that resetting the KPA seems to fix the problem addressed here.

Question, should I delete 1.54 from my memory stick before downloading 1.6? Should I wipe the memory stick clean by initializing the memory stick? Also, what am I going to loose when I reset the KPA after loading 1.6?

As always, thanks for your help.

No need to wipe the memory stick, just replace the 1.54 file with 1.60, the KPA won't upgrade if it finds 2 firmware files in the memory stick. I'd recommend performing a backup beforehand just in case.

• I haven't upgraded to 1.6 yet, but I intend to now that resetting the KPA seems to fix the problem addressed here.

Question, should I delete 1.54 from my memory stick before downloading 1.6? Should I wipe the memory stick clean by initializing the memory stick? Also, what am I going to loose when I reset the KPA after loading 1.6?

As always, thanks for your help.

Just do the upgrade check if the sound is fine - ok - done.
    If it sounds strange do the system reset - you'll loose ALL user settings (Date,Time,Name, Input, Output, Midi....) - all the rigs will not be deleted.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Armin,

You posted this two days ago.
    You never mentioned that a system reset was necessary to get this result.
    Just swapping the firmware would not reset the system parameters, as everybody nows.

You could not hear a difference in other audio clips. Neither could I.
    But all audio clips were done without a system reset between both examples.
    In other words: All audio clips were recorded to show a problem, but you could not hear a difference, even though you were aware of a problem.

Can you confirm that a system reset solves a problem?

Same question goes to Daniel and MatH.

• Just wanted to share that after upgrading to 1.60 the dynamics seemed to be flat and dull, meaning the way the KPA responded to subtleties in picking strength and slight muting of the strings seemed to be off somehow. After performing a system reset the overall "feel" seems to have been restored. I can't prove that scientifically but I can tell you this, right after upgrading to 1.60 I was testing the KPA with my Tele for the first time and was having a hard time finding profiles that I liked. After doing the system reset I'm having a hard time selecting favorites to tweak because it's hard to find a profile that I *don't like*.

BTW this should be fairly easy to replicate installing 1.54, doing a system reset and then upgrading to 1.60 without doing the system reset. I'm too busy enjoying my KPA right now so I'll leave that task to you guys

:D

• In my case yes. A system reset after updating from 1.5.4 to 1.6.0 worked but I could notice a difference in the clips I posted and more importantly while playing. Ozone detected it too. After doing the system reset I could not tell the difference (sound and feel) anymore and when I repeated the checks with Ozone all the tracks 1.5.4 vs 1.6.0 matched perfectly as demonstrated.

• Hi,

I think I'm MatH so I will answer. ;)

I did not record any 1.54 vs 1.6 audio clips. I only went by memory of how I felt the sound to be and to my ears there was a slight dullness in the sound of FW 1.6 and the dynamics seemed to be a bit flatter and not as responsive as 1.54.

When I did a system reset that problem was totally gone. The dynamics restored and the dullness gone. So I'm totally happy with 1.6 and will now go explore the new fx. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Mats N

• Hey Christoph! To be honest my head and ears are pretty numb now from all the testing. I may do some more of that comparing, but now I'm just enjoying my unit. From memory, my KPA sounds just as good as in the olden days ;) So the general I dont know... more compressed lifeless duller sound of 1.6 seems to be gone for me. I have made several up and downgrades of the firmware and lastly a system reset. It sounds good to me now. I'm puzzled what might be the root cause. I just hope it was not a flu of some sorts that affected our hearing :)

• My problems disappeared after several 1.5.4 to 1.6 and back cycles and some system reset. I though that my brain was cheating me and recorded two clips. There were no differences. Probably, the problem was solved with that reset.

• Yes, before 1.60 I used 1.52 and it sounded great.
    When I updated to 1.60 I just checked the artifacts (even did a clip for this in the famous thread) - artifacts are gone.

Then when I played the KPA the next days I found that I did not like the sound of 1.60 - and started this thread.
    I installed 1.52, 1.54 and 1.60 and did some tests and every time did I not like 1.60.

After the system reset is all fine now.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

• I just hope it was not a flu of some sorts that affected our hearing :)

Yes, maybe the next time we have just to burn a candle for 7 days :D

But strange that the hearing works each time when 1.52 or 1.54 was used ....

• When I updated to 1.60 I just checked the artifacts (even did a clip for this in the famous thread) - artifacts are gone.

That was interesting how your clip in the aliasing thread didn't reveal the artifact, but my clip did reveal it—the aliasing actually isn't "gone" as I still notice it occasionally, but it is reasonably and satisfyingly reduced.

I'm glad you and others have finally solved your update problem.

• Armin, that did not answer my question.
    Have you done a system reset prior to that post two days ago?

No, I just updated the firmwares many times between 1.52, 1.54, 1.60 (without a system reset).

And finally did a system reset just because of the strange volume changes when I turned the 'Aux in volume' up and down - and this seams to fix the sound problem.
    Others seams to feel / hear and measure the same.

• That was interesting how your clip in the aliasing thread didn't reveal the artifact, but my clip did reveal it—the aliasing actually isn't "gone" as I still notice it occasionally, but it is reasonably and satisfyingly reduced.

I'm glad you and others have finally solved your update problem.

It's gone for my profiles (even with max gain) played at the 24fret high e string - maybe your patch is different.

• I don't think further discussion about the subtleties of hearing differences in the performance of FW 1.6 is really needed.

Let's talk about the goodies though. In fact they are not only goodies but freebies as well.

I really want to express my admiration for the new rigs delivered together with FW 1.6. I really do enjoy the excellent acoustic guitar rigs (5 of them (a) to (e)) signed by M. Franzkowiak. Both my acoustic guitars - nylon string Taki and steel string Taki sound so much better than ever recorded and live.

Thank you very much for this additional improvement of an already unique device.

• No, I just updated the firmwares many times between 1.52, 1.54, 1.60 (without a system reset).

And finally did a system reset just because of the strange volume changes when I turned the 'Aux in volume' up and down - and this seams to fix the sound problem.
    Others seams to feel / hear and measure the same.

But from your earlier posts I read that your sound problems were fixed even before the system reset.